Post-Game Talk: Bruins get Quacked 5 - 2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Is there a way to get those stats? I admit I have difficulty believing it. To my eyes their PK hasn't been top notch for some time now. I'm inclined to believe my lyin' eyes but something tangible would help me get over that.

Here are some dates of interest:

Oct 24th: 2nd in PK
Oct 26th: 24th (after allowing 4 PPGs against NJ)

Nov 9th: 12th

Nov 18th: 2nd (killed 32 PPs in a row - this ended on Nov 19 against the Rangers)

Dec 23rd: 5th

Jan 8th: 10th

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Close thread. Anaheim bandwagoners going to overhype their team for a game handed to them by the officials. Let's see how we do with Lucic back first.

Huh? I understand being upset about a questionable call but cmon. When do the Ducks fans ever make threads on the main boards boasting about how good we are? When threads are made we cry for them to be locked so they dont jinx us.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Here are some dates of interest:

Oct 24th: 2nd in PK
Oct 26th: 24th (after allowing 4 PPGs against NJ)

Nov 9th: 12th

Nov 18th: 2nd (killed 32 PPs in a row - this ended on Nov 19 against the Rangers)

Dec 23rd: 5th

Jan 8th: 10th

This is good stuff, thanks.

Looks like for the month of November the PK was clicking along pretty good. Hopefully this isn't a big deal to provide, but do you have info from Dec. 8 and Dec. 14? Kelly suffered his broken fibula on Dec. 7.

It looks like in two weeks (12/23 through 1/8) they dropped 5 percentage points. I'm curious about the previous 2 weeks or so as well. This kind of jibes with my thoughts along the lines of how earlier in the season, with fewer samples, you get bigger swings in the percentages, while deeper into the season the swings move more slowly due to the increased sample size.

Good stuff, caz16. Thanks.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Huh? I understand being upset about a questionable call but cmon. When do the Ducks fans ever make threads on the main boards boasting about how good we are? When threads are made we cry for them to be locked so they dont jinx us.

You don't.

You Duck fans are a quiet bunch, much like how your team is quietly bending the rest of the league over :laugh:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
You don't.

You Duck fans are a quiet bunch, much like how your team is quietly bending the rest of the league over :laugh:

Maybe we are "quietly" boasting :sarcasm:

Good game guys. The 1st period was scary and I really hope Loui can come back and tear it up for the Bruins. He is one of my favorites.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Maybe we are "quietly" boasting :sarcasm:

Good game guys. The 1st period was scary and I really hope Loui can come back and tear it up for the Bruins. He is one of my favorites.

We hope so too. I have a very unhealthy mancrush on Loui. :laugh:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

Looks like for the month of November the PK was clicking along pretty good. Hopefully this isn't a big deal to provide, but do you have info from Dec. 8 and Dec. 14? Kelly suffered his broken fibula on Dec. 7.

It looks like in two weeks (12/23 through 1/8) they dropped 5 percentage points. I'm curious about the previous 2 weeks or so as well. This kind of jibes with my thoughts along the lines of how earlier in the season, with fewer samples, you get bigger swings in the percentages, while deeper into the season the swings move more slowly due to the increased sample size.

I have these dates:

Dec 8th: 8th

Dec 17th: 7th

Dec 27th: 3rd

Dec 31st: 3rd

Jan 2nd: 6th

Jan 4th: 5th

I have PP too if that is of any interest.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

I used the GDT threads to get these stats:

Going into the December 6th game vs the Penguins (CK, LE and DS healthy) the PK was 5th at 86%.

Going into the December 12th game in Edmonton( No CK or LE. DS healthy) the PK was 4th at 85.9%.

Going into the December 27th game vs. Ottawa (No CK or LE. Seids gets hurt) the PK was 3rd at 86.6%.

Going into tomorrow's game (January 9th. No CK, LE and DS) the PK is 10th at 85.3%.

Last edited:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Hey, feel free to factor in his entire career and the lack of success he has had. His reputation for spring play isn't exactly stellar.

:laughlaughlaugh:

Okay, so he started out getting significantly worse statistically in the playoffs of his rookie year, which is all but to be expected. Since then he's got significantly better once, marginally worse once, significantly worse twice, marginally better once and significantly better once. That's just going by his stats. Doesn't sound like a notoriously bad playoff performer (especially since the ones where he played better than in the regular season were longer runs with a bigger sample size), but not someone who always steps up and takes his game to a new level either. Then again, with his stats, he doesn't need to; as long as his team plays a half-way decent game in front of him, they should fare rather well.

He also had those two brilliant playoff performances in the SEL and that Olympic gold run where he played great in the games that mattered, outduelling the best goalie of the tournament in the final. But I guess that's besides the point, since even though you didn't specify "Stanley Cup playoffs", it's implied. :) :) :)

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Okay, so he started out getting significantly worse statistically in the playoffs of his rookie year, which is all but to be expected. Since then he's got significantly better once, marginally worse once, significantly worse twice, marginally better once and significantly better once. That's just going by his stats. Doesn't sound like a notoriously bad playoff performer (especially since the ones where he played better than in the regular season were longer runs with a bigger sample size), but not someone who always steps up and takes his game to a new level either. Then again, with his stats, he doesn't need to; as long as his team plays a half-way decent game in front of him, they should fare rather well.

He also had those two brilliant playoff performances in the SEL and that Olympic gold run where he played great in the games that mattered, outduelling the best goalie of the tournament in the final. But I guess that's besides the point, since even though you didn't specify "Stanley Cup playoffs", it's implied. :) :) :)

He gets credit for the Olympics, of course.

He has a career 30-37 record in the post season. A bigger sample size.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
He gets credit for the Olympics, of course.

He has a career 30-37 record in the post season. A bigger sample size.

Fair enough, though you could have a 99.9% SVS and 0.01 GAA and still be 0-20 in the win-loss department. He should have a couple good years left in him, we'll see what he can bring, he'll obviously have to be better than he has thus far this year, though.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Fair enough, though you could have a 99.9% SVS and 0.01 GAA and still be 0-20 in the win-loss department. He should have a couple good years left in him, we'll see what he can bring, he'll obviously have to be better than he has thus far this year, though.

But he hasn't had a "bad year". Statistically (and not just W/L's) he remains a top-notch goalie in the NHL. His #'s have taken a bit of a hit lately but he's having a slump. It happens.

How quickly people forget. There a number of games which Rask was the primary reason we had a chance to win at all. The Bruins don't generally blow teams out... the majority of their wins have been at least reasonably close contests.

And i don't think looking at the totality of his playoff stats is fair. Tuukka starting getting significant TOI for the big club at a very young age... goaltenders do tend to improve with age (obviously to a point).

Rask is just about to enter his prime. I don't even think he's there yet... i don't know what you mean by "he's got a couple good years left in him". He better have AT LEAST A FEW "good years left", he just signed an 8-year contract and this is only year #1.

I usually agree with EverettMike but i think he is too quick to discount to overall progress of Rask as an NHL goalie. The numbers he cites include games when he was still technically being developed.

Tuukka is no longer being developed. Timmy T is long gone... Rask has the keys to the car now, for better or worse.

Just remember guys, this is a goalie that held the entire "Pittsburgh All-Star Team" last year to [was it 2 or 3?] goals for the entire ECF series.

Not just anybody can do that, good defensive system or not. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, IGINLA... that team had scorers and yet no matter what they did they could not score on Tuukka. Half of the series they were shut out, two ECF playoff games and no goals for the entire stacked roster Pittsburgh had.

Let's be objective here. But yea, Rask could have stolen that game (like he has others this year) if he was on... but he had a terrible game. No excuses for it, he was awful.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Just me being annoyed, don't mind me. Although I have no idea how your team only averages 16000 attendance, I've liked them for years for the toughness.

Rebel Bruin

Jan 7, 2014
Dublin
Hiller was superb.
Our special teams had a very off night.

That was the game.

I was actually impressed by how the Bruins dominated the game for long stretches.

In a 7-game series I think it would be very close.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
But he hasn't had a "bad year". Statistically (and not just W/L's) he remains a top-notch goalie in the NHL. His #'s have taken a bit of a hit lately but he's having a slump. It happens.

How quickly people forget. There a number of games which Rask was the primary reason we had a chance to win at all. The Bruins don't generally blow teams out... the majority of their wins have been at least reasonably close contests.

And i don't think looking at the totality of his playoff stats is fair. Tuukka starting getting significant TOI for the big club at a very young age... goaltenders do tend to improve with age (obviously to a point).

Rask is just about to enter his prime. I don't even think he's there yet... i don't know what you mean by "he's got a couple good years left in him". He better have AT LEAST A FEW "good years left", he just signed an 8-year contract and this is only year #1.

I usually agree with EverettMike but i think he is too quick to discount to overall progress of Rask as an NHL goalie. The numbers he cites include games when he was still technically being developed.

Tuukka is no longer being developed. Timmy T is long gone... Rask has the keys to the car now, for better or worse.

Just remember guys, this is a goalie that held the entire "Pittsburgh All-Star Team" last year to [was it 2 or 3?] goals for the entire ECF series.

Not just anybody can do that, good defensive system or not. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, IGINLA... that team had scorers and yet no matter what they did they could not score on Tuukka. Half of the series they were shut out, two ECF playoff games and no goals for the entire stacked roster Pittsburgh had.

Let's be objective here. But yea, Rask could have stolen that game (like he has others this year) if he was on... but he had a terrible game. No excuses for it, he was awful.

We were discussing Hank. The clue is in that Finland have never won the Olympics. ;)

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I was talking about henrik Lundqvist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad