Value of: Brock Nelson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
The Isles have been struggling going 4-8- 4 in their last 16. If they continue to fall and are finally a seller at the deadline, what kind of return would they get for Nelson?

Reactions: Coffees

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
The Isles have been struggling going 4-8- 4 in their last 16. If they continue to fall and are finally a seller at the deadline, what kind of return would they get for Nelson?
Retain him if you want it worth your while. Retain him and accept defeat for this year and next

Edit
Also I’m not trying to disrespect you or @SI90 or Any Islander fan for that matter, I’m just trying to get creative.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Everyone talks about MacK and Sid, but maybe the Parise signing was the true cipher of the Avs plans

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I've liked him for a long time, he would be a good pick up if available

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
If you see Sean Monahan get a first and a third, you use that as a benchmark and ask for way more for Brock Nelson.

Better player, very affordable AAV, and an extra year.

I’d say he fetches at least the equivalent of two firsts. And that’s on the conservative side.

Reactions: rynryn

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's towards the top of my list from the Avs. Curious what the Isles would want. I think the Avs could have pieces available both in terms of futures(1st+ sort of package), roster pieces that help the Isles today(Byram), or perhaps a little bit of both in a much bigger deal.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
He's towards the top of my list from the Avs. Curious what the Isles would want. I think the Avs could have pieces available both in terms of futures(1st+ sort of package), roster pieces that help the Isles today(Byram), or perhaps a little bit of both in a much bigger deal.
It’d be interesting if the Isles could upgrade Romanov to Byram in a deal with the Avs. Dobson+Byram=D corps set for a decade

To Colorado:
Nelson
Romanov

To NYI:
Johansen
Byram
Ritchie

Add/remove as you see fit

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If you see Sean Monahan get a first and a third, you use that as a benchmark and ask for way more for Brock Nelson.

Better player, very affordable AAV, and an extra year.

I’d say he fetches at least the equivalent of two firsts. And that’s on the conservative side.
Monahan's AAV is 2M(expiring), Nelson's 6M for another year. That's a huge difference, and makes a big difference on which teams can, and can't take on Nelson.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It’d be interesting if the Isles could upgrade Romanov to Byram in a deal with the Avs. Dobson+Byram=D corps set for a decade

To Colorado:
Nelson
Romanov

To NYI:
Johansen
Byram
Ritchie

Yeah that's kind of along the lines of what I had thought of as well in the past.

Don't think the Avs would need to add Ritchie though, think that would make it a pretty substantial overpay from us.

Maybe something like Byram + Johansen + COL 1st for Nelson + Romanov + NYI 2nd.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

To Colorado:
Nelson
Romanov

To NYI:
Johansen
Byram
Ritchie

You may want to rethink that valuation of Romanov. He's quietly had a good year playing Top 4 minutes. The Athletic loves his defense. The usage hasn't been soft (Pelech injuries). 1 additional year on his bridge and then RFA at the end. Really nice asset.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
You may want to rethink that valuation of Romanov. He's quietly had a good year playing Top 4 minutes. The Athletic loves his defense. The usage hasn't been soft (Pelech injuries). 1 additional year on his bridge and then RFA at the end. Really nice asset.
I’ve always thought his ceiling was a #4 dman but your description makes me think he might blossom into a #3. Maybe there’s no need for the upgrade in the first place. Spend the cap that you would have to spend on Byram on some forwards instead.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

To Colorado:
Nelson
Romanov

To NYI:
Johansen
Byram
Ritchie

Romanov isn’t Getting moved. Lou would hang up the phone and your GM would go missing if this was the offer. The only player I can see Lou moving is Oliver Wahlstrom.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Monahan's AAV is 2M(expiring), Nelson's 6M for another year. That's a huge difference, and makes a big difference on which teams can, and can't take on Nelson.
Retention could be in the cards. No team wants to retain for more than one season but just look at how much the retention on Jake McCabe increased the return for Chicago. NYI should consider it.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Yeah, the Islanders would be smart to sell now seeing how scarce centers are this year. Probably see what Guentzel gets (premium position, similar contract) and ask for a bit more. Could see a Colorado or another team needing C depth with future assets available trade for him.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah, the Islanders would be smart to sell now seeing how scarce centers are this year. Probably see what Guentzel gets (premium position, similar contract) and ask for a bit more. Could see a Colorado or another team needing C depth with future assets available trade for him.
Lou is the GM. He doesn’t sell off to rebuild. People know this. He’s going to pick up an asset or two at the deadline and run with it from there.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Dobson gets all he headlines and deservedly so, but Romanov has made big strides in his game as well and has been an excellent partner with a really complementary skillset to Dobber. They were a disaster when paired together last year, but now they have become the top pair and will continue in those roles as more developed players even when Pulock and Pelech are healthy.

I can't see the Isles having any interest in moving him.

As for Nelson, the Isles should get a nice haul for him if moved. He is heavily underrated around the league, Brock is legit.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Lou is the GM. He doesn’t sell off to rebuild. People know this. He’s going to pick up an asset or two at the deadline and run with it from there.
Have fun with the aging roster if that's his M.O. Not disagreeing with you but if in a down year points wise he can still net a 1st, selling him would probably be a good idea if the old guys can't keep up offensively anymore.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Have fun with the aging roster if that's his M.O. Not disagreeing with you but if in a down year points wise he can still net a 1st, selling him would probably be a good idea if the old guys can't keep up offensively anymore.
He doesn’t sell off ever nor would a late first and some AHL player and cap dump be worth it for the Islanders down the line, especially for Nelson who’s been a consistent 30+ goal center and is on track for atleast 35 this season while still under contract for an additional season. Look at the age of the whole roster, Martin and Clutterbuck are the oldest skaters and both UFAs in July. They’ll be gone and replaced with guys in the system.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

To Colorado:
Nelson
Romanov

To NYI:
Johansen
Byram
Ritchie

Romanov has been our 2nd best defenseman and just turned 24 with a good cap hit and is a RFA at the end of his contract. No shot he gets moved.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Yeah that's kind of along the lines of what I had thought of as well in the past.

Don't think the Avs would need to add Ritchie though, think that would make it a pretty substantial overpay from us.

Maybe something like Byram + Johansen + COL 1st for Nelson + Romanov + NYI 2nd.

You are very much undervaluing Romanov. I would much sooner Much Pelech/Pulock over him. He is only 24 and playing top pairing minutes and has been excellent with Dobson. There is no reason for the isles to move Romanov.

StewPete

Jan 20, 2024

To Colorado:
Nelson

To NYI:
Johansen
Ritchie

To Colorado:
Nelson

To NYI:
Johansen
Ritchie
2024 1st

Parise was a great signing.