Value of: Brock Nelson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
NYI fan here not yet throwing the towel in on the season. But if NYI don't have a good run before the New Year (they have 10 games remaining in December), it'll be curtains. NYI won't rebuild, but they do need to reload. NYI don't have much in the way of valuable assets they'd be willing to trade. All there is, really, is Brock Nelson, Josh Bailey, and Semyon Varlamov. It seems unlikely that there would be enough of an incentive to trade Varlamov, or retain money to move Bailey. So that leaves Nelson. He'll be coming back from injury (a knee sprain, we think) in a week or two.

What would a team give in terms of picks or specs to get a 2-way 2nd line center with one of the more dangerous wristers in the league, and a lot of playoff experience?

He's 30, got 3 years at 6MAAV (less cash owed than that) left on his deal, and can block trades to approx half the teams in the league. The best fit would seem to be Minnesota, which one assumes would be on his approved list, and could use a center. I would assume NYI would take salary back on an expiring deal. NYI needs young forward talent at all 3 positions, or 1st/2nd round picks.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Yes!

Take a position of strength with a homegrown player that can pot 25, playmake, is defensively responsible and clears 50% on faceoffs and replace him with picks and prospects!

iu

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Prob a first rounder plus, and I have no idea what the plus is. And then you have to figure out a way to replace him next year. Raty likely won't be ready and the UFA options will be costly.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
NYI fan here not yet throwing the towel in on the season. But if NYI don't have a good run before the New Year (they have 10 games remaining in December), it'll be curtains. NYI won't rebuild, but they do need to reload. NYI don't have much in the way of valuable assets they'd be willing to trade. All there is, really, is Brock Nelson, Josh Bailey, and Semyon Varlamov. It seems unlikely that there would be enough of an incentive to trade Varlamov, or retain money to move Bailey. So that leaves Nelson. He'll be coming back from injury (a knee sprain, we think) in a week or two.

What would a team give in terms of picks or specs to get a 2-way 2nd line center with one of the more dangerous wristers in the league, and a lot of playoff experience?

He's 30, got 3 years at 6MAAV (less cash owed than that) left on his deal, and can block trades to approx half the teams in the league. The best fit would seem to be Minnesota, which one assumes would be on his approved list, and could use a center. I would assume NYI would take salary back on an expiring deal. NYI needs young forward talent at all 3 positions, or 1st/2nd round picks.
3 years at $6m would make him a difficult fit for Minnesota.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Prob a first rounder plus, and I have no idea what the plus is. And then you have to figure out a way to replace him next year. Raty likely won't be ready and the UFA options will be costly.

If it's not a first rounder +, it's not worth doing.

3 years at $6m would make him a difficult fit for Minnesota.

I'd assume NYI would take Rask back, but that would only help this year. NYI would not want to retain.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If it's not a first rounder +, it's not worth doing.

I'd assume NYI would take Rask back, but that would only help this year. NYI would not want to retain.
Yeah, this year isn't really the problem, it's the rest of them. If he had one year on his deal I'd think the Wild would be interested.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Chuck Fletcher really coveted him back in the day. Shop him to Philly.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Would be crazy if they did move him, when the NYI identity is largely built on defense and team toughness.
Also he's a good player but Vancouver doesn't have needs at center (he would be a beast, don't get me wrong, but a performing Petey/ Bo/ Miller is pretty strong) nor the cap room to afford him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers could be a partner for Nelson and Varlamov but Nelson probably wouldn't waive to go there. I'd include a 1st in the deal but I don't know how we clear enough cap space to make it work. Obviously the Isles wouldn't retain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad