Speculation: Brett Pesce's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I know points aren't everything for a Dman, but Pesce seems to be having a very poor year offensively by his caliber. Likewise, I've heard many Cane fans even dating back to like December saying how poorly he's played overall. What do you expect his next contract to be? Will he even re-sign with the Canes?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
$6.5-7M x 7 would be my guess, with such a deal becoming an albatross in years 3-7.

If that’s what he’s looking for, which he should be, he’s not getting that from the Canes.

What do you think his actual value should be? I've seen a few games, but not likely near what you have. Has he lost a step? I've seen a few plays where he seems behind the play a little, and has been walked a few times... that didn't use to happen. What would you say about his play this year?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What do you think his actual value should be?

I think he could and likely will get ~$6.5M from a team in the open market.

From a Canes’ front office standpoint, my guess is that term is the issue. They probably don’t have any problem paying him $6.5M on a 2-3yr deal. Pesce shouldn’t consider that as he plays a premium position and teams always need top 4RD. I think he’ll get his $6.5M x 7 from some team, just not Carolina.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think he could and likely will get ~$6.5M from a team in the open market.

From a Canes’ front office standpoint, my guess is that term is the issue. They probably don’t have any problem paying him $6.5M on a 2-3yr deal. Pesce shouldn’t consider that as he plays a premium position and teams always need top 4RD. I think he’ll get his $6.5M x 7 from some team, just not Carolina.

Any comments about his play this year? Thank you.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
He’s a solid defensive-minded defenseman that, unfortunately, is starting to lose his foot speed, allowing some of the younger and quicker forwards to outpace him on rushes or to loose pucks. It’s an occasional error nowadays, but it’s going to become more pronounced the more he ages.

Thus, Canes fans aren’t super excited to give him a long term deal. If he would accept a 2-3 year deal, we’d love to keep him, but the expectation is he’ll want longer and some other team would give it to him.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'll admit, I didn't know he was struggling this year. I would have assumed, based on reputation, that he would be writing his own cheques if he hit free agency.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
If a team does he'll anchor the blue line at some point becoming the anchor :(.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Canes fans have any idea on why the loss of effectiveness? Injuries, or just age?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His skating has taken a hit. He’s still positionally sound and very much still a top 4 option. However, it’s probably just a matter of time, before his positioning can no longer compensate for his loss of foot speed.
Just wondering if there was an injury that has limited him, and whether anyone has any info as to whether it will get better, or if he has gone into a Vlasic type decline.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Canes fans have any idea on why the loss of effectiveness? Injuries, or just age?
Loss of foot speed is age. I think Canes fans, and I'm guilty of it myself, are a little overly critical of Pesce's recent play. He's still going up against the toughest competition and is one of the best at preventing zone entries. Gaffes are becoming more frequent but we've been spoiled by watching him in his prime. He'll be a solid to great top 4 D for the next 2-3 years at least, after that it's a bit of a question mark with me leaning towards a long term contract looking bad in years 5-7.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The Tanev deal (4.45x4) adjusted for cap inflation would be fair.
That's pretty much what Pesce is just coming off of (4.025x6, so 2 years older than Tanev's contract.)

He's going to expect a significant raise on that. He earned it during his 18/19-23/24 contract, but what does the market value him for long-term when he's just turning 30?

I think someone will be willing to deal with the bad contract later to get a very good top 4 D now. We've seen that's unlikely to be Carolina. If Carolina is going to pay one aging D man long-term it's going to be Slavin.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
That's pretty much what Pesce is just coming off of (4.025x6, so 2 years older than Tanev's contract.)

He's going to expect a significant raise on that. He earned it during his 18/19-23/24 contract, but what does the market value him for long-term when he's just turning 30?

I think someone will be willing to deal with the bad contract later to get a very good top 4 D now. We've seen that's unlikely to be Carolina. If Carolina is going to pay one aging D man long-term it's going to be Slavin.
This.

It's weird to say, but players I think want to be "made whole". If a player is underpaid by the market on their last deal, they want every penny on the next. Vice versa, some players (certainly not all) won't ask for the biggest deal if they've already had fair market value or been overpaid.

Pesce has been underpaid for most every year of his deal, and I think he wants max dollar.

The wheels are starting to slow for Pesce, which is a bit troubling at age 29. No one knows his future, but it does feel that he will decline each year a bit. He's still a good player for sure.

Also, it's worth mentioning that in certain systems, his decreased speed won't harm him as much. Canes require their D to be super active in every zone. It's why a player like Chatfield, with elite skating, thrives in this system. His warts may not show so much on another team. He's like the perfect fit for the Islanders with their injuries this year on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad