Value of: Brendan Smith to Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I'm not sure what Detroits plans are for him, he's a UFA after this year and he's making $3.25m. other than Green nobody has much offence from the back end.

Would Detroit object to Wideman ($2.5m retained) and a "B" prospect for Smith?

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
With the trouble Wideman got himself into last season with the NHL, I don't think anyone would want to trade for him...

Detroit needs defensemen right now, I don't believe Detroit is looking to trade any defensemen.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm not sure what Detroits plans are for him, he's a UFA after this year and he's making $3.25m. other than Green nobody has much offence from the back end.

Would Detroit object to Wideman ($2.5m retained) and a "B" prospect for Smith?

Smith makes $2.75 million for this season, Then is a UFA next summer. I have no earthly idea what Holland's plans are for him past this season. Even Wideman retained at $2.5 million is still about $250,000 more then Smith it would still have to equal out as we're $4.2 million over the cap as of now. I think i would rather keep Smith myself then take on Dennis Wideman.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
With the trouble Wideman got himself into last season with the NHL, I don't think anyone would want to trade for him...

Detroit needs defensemen right now, I don't believe Detroit is looking to trade any defensemen.
Wideman's been in trouble once in an 11 year NHL career, if someone paints him as a bad guy due to a single incident they aren't thinking rationally.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If we're to trade for a D-man say Fowler or Shatty, I could maybe see Smith on the trading block. A 2nd round pick or prospect that maybe doesn't have a future within the Flames organization might work like a D-man that's low on the totem pole there might work. Right now i don't see Holland moving Smith but things can change we do need to trim $4.2 million here and Smith's $2.75 million would definitely help there.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Wideman's been in trouble once in an 11 year NHL career, if someone paints him as a bad guy due to a single incident they aren't thinking rationally.

Wideman took out a referee who may never ref another game. Sure he may have a clear record before that but that incident was absolutely callous and totally uncalled for.

Anyways Detroit may move Smith to clear some cap space but it won't be for wideman.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
4th round pick. If he's signed to an extension or produces 25 points it becomes a 3rd round pick.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Wideman took out a referee who may never ref another game. Sure he may have a clear record before that but that incident was absolutely callous and totally uncalled for.

Anyways Detroit may move Smith to clear some cap space but it won't be for wideman.

Laff. You know Todd Bertuzzi played like 7ish seasons with Detroit after the Steve Moore incident, right?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Smith would be a pretty good option for our middle pairing. I don't think we have anything we can offer within reason that would intrigue Detroit. Wideman does nothing for them really.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009

The guy insulted the entire refs union and made up a medical reason for attacking a linesman.

Whichever team Wideman is playing for is surely not going to be getting the good end of the calls. And justly so. As a Flames fan, I hope the refs come down hard on the Flames for putting up with Wideman's BS.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Laff. You know Todd Bertuzzi played like 7ish seasons with Detroit after the Steve Moore incident, right?

Bertuzzi owned up to what he did.

Wideman has put the blame on a concussion and the refs/media.

Also, refs control the game. Do you really think they're going to give Wideman a fair shake now?

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I really don't see the point of trading for Smith. Flames have enough depth on defence right now. Honestly, I would rather they just sign Nakladal for extra depth if that is what they need.

Smith is intriguing because he can play a decent physical game, but he hasn't quite developed into what people thought he would. Jokipakka I think is probably a better and more consistent defencemen than Smith, so I would look at Smith in the middle-pairing as a downgrade, though very fine for 'depth' and with the possibility of improving considering age and past expectations.

Wotherspoon, Kulak and possibly even (if you believe the Flames) Kylington will all be getting some time up on the Flames this year. I would rather just go with what they have, unless they can find a clear young upgrade somewhere.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
you can have smith for a 6th rounder but you have to take ericsson with him. then xo and sproul can play on detroit.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I really don't see the point of trading for Smith. Flames have enough depth on defence right now. Honestly, I would rather they just sign Nakladal for extra depth if that is what they need.

Smith is intriguing because he can play a decent physical game, but he hasn't quite developed into what people thought he would. Jokipakka I think is probably a better and more consistent defencemen than Smith, so I would look at Smith in the middle-pairing as a downgrade, though very fine for 'depth' and with the possibility of improving considering age and past expectations.

Wotherspoon, Kulak and possibly even (if you believe the Flames) Kylington will all be getting some time up on the Flames this year. I would rather just go with what they have, unless they can find a clear young upgrade somewhere.

Smith is a 27 year old (28 in 5 months) he is what he is, aside from the 1/xxxx that improve big time past 27.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Smith

I'm one of those rare Wings' fans who actually likes what Smith brings to the table. That being said, I don't think Smith gets moved one on one(could be part of a package). Depending on the Wings playoff position, he could be a movable asset at the TDL. His status as a UFA means the Wings' would not have to protect him for the draft and if they want to keep him , they just sign his new contract after the expansion draft.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
4th round pick. If he's signed to an extension or produces 25 points it becomes a 3rd round pick.

Done deal.

It would work well if we get Fowler. Need to make capspace+roster spot for his deal by trading Smith

Fowler, ANA <> Tatar DET + pick

Smith, DET <> CGY 4th rounder

If it's a three-way deal, that CGY pick could go straight to Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad