BREAKING: It's over. Multiple sources confirm to @PHNX_Sports that Alex Meruelo is walking away from his ownership of the Coyotes.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
this sucks for coyotes fans. he may have been the latest bad owner but he had a path to restore the franchise by december 31, 2027.

It was a false path. There was zero shot the league would have let him back into ownership, and that’s assuming the state of Arizona would have allowed him to even begin to build a franchise there again.

The guy is a conman that burned every bridge he walked across only to finally take the only route available to him and f***ed right off.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
vince-carter-its-over.gif

Now return the Jets pre 96 history to them.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
this sucks for coyotes fans. he may have been the latest bad owner but he had a path to restore the franchise by december 31, 2027.
He didn’t really. The 5 year roadmap had progression points with the intention that the Coyotes would return by the end of it. The NHL never intended for Meruelo to sit on his ass for the entire 5 years AND THEN start building after. Which meant that at some point between years 2 and 3, the construction process had to be started.

Everything about Meruelo screams “disingenuous.” He had that press conference assuring fans of Arizona that their hockey team was coming back, and yet he fumbles the auction deal because of a zoning miscategorization??? He’s a real estate guy so he should know wtf zoning regulations are.

All signs are pointing to him wanting that billion dollar “buyout” from the NHL and then GTFO.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
As expected. I can't believe this was dragged out so long with him.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think this is actually a good first step for hockey returning to Phoenix. This guy, uh, well, he seemed incredibly incompetent to the point of maliciousness.

Reactions: kickback256

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
There was never a scenario where the Yotes were coming back under him anyway, this just speeds up what everyone already knew

Reactions: DaveG

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
He didn’t really. The 5 year roadmap had progression points with the intention that the Coyotes would return by the end of it. The NHL never intended for Meruelo to sit on his ass for the entire 5 years AND THEN start building after. Which meant that at some point between years 2 and 3, the construction process had to be started.

Everything about Meruelo screams “disingenuous.” He had that press conference assuring fans of Arizona that their hockey team was coming back, and yet he fumbles the auction deal because of a zoning miscategorization??? He’s a real estate guy so he should know wtf zoning regulations are.

All signs are pointing to him wanting that billion dollar “buyout” from the NHL and then GTFO.
The NHL never intended for Meruelo to come back. Five years to get an arena built, for this guy? That was an impossible task that they only threw in as a fig leaf to fans that could only have come together via a miracle.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Good. I knew it would be an uphill battle for him specifically. It feels like he has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in Phoenix. Yotes 2.0 need a truly fresh start. They don’t need any additional disadvantages from the beginning. Might take them a little longer to come back but they’ll be better off for it.
I can't imagine the league trying Yotes 2.0 untill they find an owner with deep pockets and is actually reliable. Considering everything that fan base has gone through and how hard the league pushed to make hockey in Arizona work, they can't start Yotes 2.0 on anything less than a strong footing.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The NHL never intended for Meruelo to come back. Five years to get an arena built, for this guy? That was an impossible task that they only threw in as a fig leaf to fans that could only have come together via a miracle.
That was my impression of the deal. That timeline (coupled with his inability to actual work with local partners) basically meant that if the land auction didn't go to plan then that's it. He had no margin of error in terms of timing. This deal was basically structured to allow Meruelo to save some face, have money to get an arena project going if he somehow got the land and for the league to finally rid itself of a messy situation.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
That was my impression of the deal. That timeline (coupled with his inability to actual work with local partners) basically meant that if the land auction didn't go to plan then that's it. He had no margin of error in terms of timing. This deal was basically structured to allow Meruelo to save some face, have money to get an arena project going if he somehow got the land and for the league to finally rid itself of a messy situation.
That was what it looked like. Unless everything went fast and perfectly, it was a time bomb set to go off after five years. Had the SLC deal gone down this week, the five year window probably would have never been needed. As it was, the bomb was set to go off after five years, mercifully putting the entire soap opera to an end without anybody having to pull the plug.

I'm not sure how eager the NHL is going to be to go back into Phoenix. Between the arena situation, generally lousy ownership, and less than stellar attendance numbers (perhaps a function of the first two), it was a bad setup for everybody. It's probably going to take a while for the league and the fans to get the bad taste out of their mouths.

Sadly, I think it could work but it starts with a lot more competent ownership and more success on the ice.

Reactions: donghabs98

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So does the inactive Coyotes franchise still exist, or is Utah going absorb its history?
I think Ryan Smith bought everything but the name and history. The Coyotes were suspended. Utah is an expansion team. I think, with the news today, the Coyotes are done forever, but I could be wrong.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
That was what it looked like. Unless everything went fast and perfectly, it was a time bomb set to go off after five years. Had the SLC deal gone down this week, the five year window probably would have never been needed. As it was, the bomb was set to go off after five years, mercifully putting the entire soap opera to an end without anybody having to pull the plug.

I'm not sure how eager the NHL is going to be to go back into Phoenix. Between the arena situation, generally lousy ownership, and less than stellar attendance numbers (perhaps a function of the first two), it was a bad setup for everybody. It's probably going to take a while for the league and the fans to get the bad taste out of their mouths.

Sadly, I think it could work but it starts with a lot more competent ownership and more success on the ice.
Competent ownership and management would solve everything. There is no reason why an NHL team in Phoenix somehow cannot succeed.

It's going to be more than a decade, though.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
So does the inactive Coyotes franchise still exist, or is Utah going absorb its history?
For the good of the NHL I think they should shut down the Coyotes experiment until they can find a market down there with a good amount of support.

Obviously at the end of the day this is a numbers problem and hockey in Az is not really happening. I think the NHL should just cut their losses and fully disband the franchise. They’ve been in financial ruin for so long because the fan support is just very weak.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
actually insane this guy didn’t understand the local zoning process (although it looks a little bat-shit crazy on the localities end as well). Should be right in his wheelhouse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad