Brayden Yager vs Easton Cowan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yager vs Cowan

• Yager

Votes: 91 66.4%
  • Cowan

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think we should welcome Yager to the Jets with a good ol fashion Leafs - Jets fans prospect debate thread. Who would you rather take if offered in a trade?

Yager:
drafted 14th OA in 2023 in WHL
Regular season: 35 goals 95 points in 57
WJC: 5 points in 5 games
Playoffs: 27 points in 21 games

Cowan:
drafted 28 OA in 2023 in OHL
Regular season: 34 goals 96 points in 54
WJC: 2 points in 5 games
Playoffs: 34 points in 18 games

Seem pretty comparable players. Who you taking?

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd go Cowan by the most marginal of levels, to the point where it feels nitpicky.

I think the statistical argument I'd make is that the two had essentially identical production, but I think Yager had more offensive support between Savoie, Firkus and Mateychuk. Both teams were obviously great, hence why they won their respective leagues, but I think Yager had a bit more offensive support than Cowan did.

I think Wheeler also has Cowan slightly ahead of Yager in prospect ratings as well, they're both on the same level but I believe Cowan was about 45 while Yager was about 55.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Outside of WJC last year he did not put up better numbers at all

Not sure what you mean.

Yager had 5 goals and 4 assists in the HG18 in 2022.

Yager had 2 goals and 3 assists in the WJC.

Yager was granted exceptional status into the WHL. He won rookie of the year.

Yager was 22nd in points in the W in his draft year. Cowan was 77th.

Yager was 15th this year. Cowan was 7th.

There has been way more consistent production from Yager throughout his career.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Not sure what you mean.

The first to be good is not always the best end of the day. That's why I used this year. Cowan was a late bloomer of a prospect. He did better than him this year no doubt outside of a short tournament. Playoff MVP

Reactions: Voight

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yager is average sized at best. I’d call him undersized.
Not undersized at all - maybe you watching him on video it looks different but when you get to see him in person, he looks like a very good size, he’s bulky, and strong on his feet and doesn’t visibly look like a dwarf compared to his teammates. He is a very good size to me, and it’s something that won’t actively deter him in his potential NHL career like it might for Cowan for instance.

Both are incredibly talented and some of the best in the sport, but every time I have watched Yager live compared to Cowan - I come away more impressed.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not undersized at all - maybe you watching him on video it looks different but when you get to see him in person, he looks like a very good size, he’s bulky, and strong on his feet and doesn’t visibly look like a dwarf compared to his teammates. He is a very good size to me, and it’s something that won’t actively deter him in his potential NHL career like it might for Cowan for instance.

Both are incredibly talented and some of the best in the sport, but every time I have watched Yager live compared to Cowan - I come away more impressed.
Ok so just anecdotal points. Facts wise- He was 5’11 168 at Pens camp in 2023 and gained 5 lbs to be 5’11 173 currently.

Avg NHLer is 6’1 200. Again- he’s undersized. Average if someone wants to be generous.

None of this is a comment about his ability or whatever, he just simply does not have “good size” nor does he use his frame to effect in the many times I’ve watched him. Weight =/= strength either, I’m not calling him weak. But he’s smaller for sure.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ok so just anecdotal points. Facts wise- He was 5’11 168 at Pens camp in 2023 and gained 5 lbs to be 5’11 173 currently.

Avg NHLer is 6’1 200. Again- he’s undersized. Average if someone wants to be generous.

None of this is a comment about his ability or whatever.
Gotcha, you’re arguing semantics. Things that mean nothing in this discussion. LOL

Here is what I can point out, at the most recent WJSS in Windsor - Yager was clearly bigger than both his line mates by a couple inches on both. His line mates? Ethan Gauthier and Tanner Howe.

Go ahead and do some research on those prospects and come to your own conclusion.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Gotcha, you’re arguing semantics. Things that mean nothing in this discussion. LOL

Here is what I can point out, at the most recent WJSS in Windsor - Yager was clearly bigger than both his line mates by a couple inches on both. His line mates? Ethan Gauthier and Tanner Howe.
bruh I was correcting objective measurables - I didn’t disagree or agree with your eval of his game. 5’11 170 is not “good size” for pro hockey, cmon.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
bruh I was correcting objective measurables - I didn’t disagree or agree with your eval of his game. 5’11 170 is not “good size” for pro hockey, cmon.
He is clearly taller than that measurement. Where ever you found that information, it is outdated. His height starts with a 6.

I think he is around 6’1” which is absolutely a good size (men grow until they’re 21, didn’t you know?) anything over 5’11, size won’t be a major liability to their careers if they bulk up, this is a stupid argument anyway that you only wanted to have because your team traded Yager away, had I said this on Wednesday, there would have been zero qualms from you. Have a nice day.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The first to be good is not always the best end of the day. That's why I used this year. Cowan was a late bloomer of a prospect. He did better than him this year no doubt outside of a short tournament. Playoff MVP

Okay. But your question was outside of the WJC, Yager's production hasn't been better at all.

Yager has consistently been the better prospect. If Cowan keeps it up over the next year or two, I'm sure he'll be viewed as the better one, but not sure how you think Cowan is above Yager because of one good season.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019

None of this is a comment about his ability or whatever, he just simply does not have “good size” nor does he use his frame to effect in the many times I’ve watched him. Weight =/= strength either, I’m not calling him weak. But he’s smaller for sure.
If that weight is accurate, that would make Cowan the same size and heavier. I wonder how it would deter Cowan when he is heavier.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He is clearly taller than that measurement. Where ever you found that information, it is outdated. His height starts with a 6.

I think he is around 6’1” which is absolutely a good size (men grow until they’re 21, didn’t you know?) anything over 5’11, size won’t be a major liability to their careers if they bulk up, this is a stupid argument anyway that you only wanted to have because your team traded Yager away, had I said this on Wednesday, there would have been zero qualms from you. Have a nice day.
Bro read the link I shared which states he’s 5’11 173 now from Yager himself. Written in May. 6’1 :laugh:

You’re just doubling down because you can’t admit you’re incorrect.

I’m sure you won’t reply but sorry to burst your bubble — on the bolded you’re completely wrong btw. Have not been super high on Yager for a long time. Look at my posts in his prospect thread. Or on July 16th when I proposed this exact trade on our boards for the reason of “I simply like McGroarty more”. Yager is a solid prospect and I hope he does well for the Jets. however I’ve never been enthralled by his game since the Pens drafted him and I dug into video. My posts back that up and trade doesn’t change how I view him. I’ve been singing the same tune all year despite your baseless assumption.

For his pro outlook I hope I’m wrong, seems like he’s a great kid.

Sorry I can’t correct you on his factual size jfc :laugh:

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Bro read the link I shared which states he’s 5’11 173 now from Yager himself. Written in May. 6’1 :laugh:

You’re just doubling down because you can’t admit you’re incorrect.

I’m sure you won’t reply but sorry to burst your bubble — on the bolded you’re completely wrong btw. Have not been super high on Yager for a long time. Look at my posts in his prospect thread. Or on July 16th when I proposed this exact trade on our boards for the reason of “I simply like McGroarty more”. Yager is a solid prospect and I hope he does well for the Jets. however I’ve never been enthralled by his game since the Pens drafted him and I dug into video. My posts back that up and trade doesn’t change how I view him. I’ve been singing the same tune all year despite your baseless assumption.

For his pro outlook I hope I’m wrong, seems like he’s a great kid.

Sorry I can’t correct you on his factual size jfc :laugh:

It's funny how several Penguins fans who were happy with the Yager pick, but didn't view him as a franchise piece were all in a similar spot with McGroarty.

Never thought Dubas had the balls to do it personally, but stoked on that move.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not sure what you mean.

He actually wasn't. Bedrard & Landon DuPont are the only players in WHL history to be granted exceptional status.

Also either way, that point is moot. Sean Day was granted exceptional status too. & hes a career minor leaguer.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad