Dreger: Brassard likely to be traded

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
My opinion is very clear.

Brass is massively underperforming. He’s older and expensive. I don’t see the Pens getting any value unless they retain salary. I don’t see any competitor taking him in as a 2C option and if they do - they are not a serious competitir.

As fora 3C - he sucks and is poor defensively.

Dreger’s speculation will likely be proven to be false.
Yeah lets trust your opinion over Dreger's. You seem to know so much already. Whats tomorrow's winning lotto numbers there Nostradamus?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
My opinion is very clear.

Brass is massively underperforming. He’s older and expensive. I don’t see the Pens getting any value unless they retain salary. I don’t see any competitor taking him in as a 2C option and if they do - they are not a serious competitir.

As fora 3C - he sucks and is poor defensively.

Dreger’s speculation will likely be proven to be false.

He's not good for the role the Pens have for him. That doesn't make him a bad player. Your hot take is pretty cold.

Your general ignorance regarding the situation will be proven false.

Reactions: Trade

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think Brassard is a Top6 FW anymore, seems to have been on the decline for a while.
Pretty sure he was playing at a 60pt pace before getting traded to Pittsburgh just last year... but sure... he's been "declining".

As for the comments about Coyle (or whomever) being better offensively and using Brassard's numbers this season as proof... lol. Look the guy is having a brutal season. He can't stand his role, and he's getting a lot less minutes and opportunities then he's used to getting. It's no guarantee that he won't be better elsewhere... but seeing how consistent his numbers have been the past several seasons, and how it all changed when he got a big reduction in role... most GMs will make the gamble that he'll get back to what he was pre Pittsburgh.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Brassard was.......Brassard could be..... I don’t think many fans want to pay more than what he is. I would hate it if my team paid a 2nd for him because of what he IS.
Yes, because that's exactly how NHL trades work in this day and age... :laugh: :shakehead

Reactions: Giskard

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I really hope the rumor this morning of Dallas being interested isn't true. I'm certainly not interested.
I"ve said for a while on the Pens board that Dallas makes a lot of sense. That was before they traded Shore, but it wouoldn't surprise me in the least if they were interested. The question is whether PIT can get someone they want in return.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty sure he was playing at a 60pt pace before getting traded to Pittsburgh just last year... but sure... he's been "declining".

As for the comments about Coyle (or whomever) being better offensively and using Brassard's numbers this season as proof... lol. Look the guy is having a brutal season. He can't stand his role, and he's getting a lot less minutes and opportunities then he's used to getting. It's no guarantee that he won't be better elsewhere... but seeing how consistent his numbers have been the past several seasons, and how it all changed when he got a big reduction in role... most GMs will make the gamble that he'll get back to what he was pre Pittsburgh.

Yeah becasue a whopping 14 points on the season is definitely a top6 player..

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Brassard sucks. What a terrible trade the zibanejad + a second was.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Hahahaha

Domi, Danault and KK have out-produced Brass by a wide margin this season. In fact, our 5th C (Peca) is on the same ppg pace as Brass!!

Brassard would be the most expensive 4th line C since Scott Gomez!

He has very little value and possibly negative value unless the Pens retain salary.
Let's be realistic, Brassard's play this season as a 3rd line center is not indicative of his 10 year NHL career as a 50-60 point 2c. As recently as 9 months ago he was arguably the hottest commodity at the trade deadline.
Combine that with the fact that his cap hit is half, and he will be a very attractive trade deadline target for some teams.

And yes, a 50-60 point center would be the best center Montreal has had since Plekanec was good 3-4 seasons ago.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Carolina wouldn't be interested in Jarry? That's a little surprising to me, I feel like they'd be very interested in him. NHL ready goalie prospect with decent upside (probably average starter or good 1B upside) seems like a very solid piece to have, especially considering Carolina's goaltending situation.

Okay let's get this done now. Carolina can run a second line of Nino Brassard Svechnikov or Williams and Pitts gets their shutdown 3c well suited for the role back.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The issue is that there has to be salary retention from the Canes, because Staal at $6 million to be the 3C is totally undoable. I don't even know if Staal at $4.5 million works without the Penguins trading someone like Kessel.

That’s the same deal Pitt offered him to begin with

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Whose your cap dump vs retention?

The problem isn't for this year, it's for next year and beyond. This year, they could afford Staal with limited cap retention by shipping out Brassard and Oleksiak. But it starts becoming a problem next year because of Guentzel's extension. I did a quick calculation on the Penguins board, the Penguins can spend about $9-9.5 million between their 2nd line RW (aka Kessel's spot) and their 3C. Even Staal at $4.5 million only leaves $4.5-$5 million for that 2nd line RW, which isn't enough to keep Kessel.

If the Penguins can get a good top-6 RW making $4.5 million in a Kessel return, then I'm happy to bring in Staal at anything below $5 million. The problem is that's a big if.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hahahaha

Domi, Danault and KK have out-produced Brass by a wide margin this season. In fact, our 5th C (Peca) is on the same ppg pace as Brass!!

Brassard would be the most expensive 4th line C since Scott Gomez!

He has very little value and possibly negative value unless the Pens retain salary.

I think you’d be wrong there. We need a documentary called “Getting to know NHL GM’s” for you to watch.

Half a season playing in a role that isn’t working for him won’t sway GM’s over what he’s done as a 2C (which is what they’d be getting him for).

He has a 3mil AAV and is a UFA so he’s cheap and no risk in term if it didn’t work out or they wanted to walk away.

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
So then why isn't he a fit for #3c? Is Dreger suggesting he's a better fit for a #2C? Why replace him with a #3c if he's a better option? Is starting a little less in the O-zone really that much a problem where you would want to downgrade to a real #3c?

Brassard's being asked to play a shutdown role for the Pens, meanwhile he's more of an offensive-minded center. Pens need a center like Jordan Staal/Adam Lowry to fill that role.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The issue is that Brass is getting mostly defensive zone starts and second power play time and he isn’t handling it well... he doesn’t pk and even when they put kessel with him he isn’t set to play a support role to kessel... he seems pouty and other aspects of his game that were great last year have dropped off like his faceoffs....

I think he wants to show off his scoring for UFA and you just don’t get that many great looks playing 3c minutes....

Reactions: td_ice

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah becasue a whopping 14 points on the season is definitely a top6 player..

Guess it's a good thing NHL GMs historically look at a lot more then just a half season sample size.

Yeah because I saw what he was doing in Ottawa, and it wasn't pretty in his last season. He's 31, and declining.

He played 58 games for Ottawa last season and scored 38pts, and of those 38pts, 33 of those were at ES - good for a 46pt pace at ES - something only 53 forwards did last season. And if you look at the past few seasons, you'd recognize how good 46ES points is, because while 53 did that last season, the two previous ones only had around 25 forwards each year who hit that. But sure... Brassard's last season in Ottawa "wasn't pretty". :laugh: :shakehead

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad