Dreger: Brassard likely to be traded

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
"Brassard is gonna be traded" has to be the worst kept secret in the league

Brassard for Nick Bonino.

Sigh. I'd probably do it. Maybe Bones with 1M retained by Nashville. If only because it solves the issue of getting a C in return, and he's a known quantity in Pitt.

From Nashville's perspective, too, Brassard*seems* (though I've been wrong before, so what do I know) like the kind of player that would thrive there. He's been a puppy in Pitt, but I know it the past he was a tenacious performer. Seems like being around a gritty Nashville team that's thirsty for their first cup would might get him contributing again.

Meanwhile, capwise, getting his money off the books next year puts them at a cap number of ~65M. That's probably "make a run at Stone or Duchene" territory.

Until TB got McDonagh I was convinced the Pens would win the cup again when they got Brassard. Didnt really work out for them. They can probably fetch him for a decent return.

Honestly, its still a shock to me that he's looked so out of place in Pitt. Limited offensene + playoff experience + responsible two way game + contract flexibility was the absolute perfect ingredients for 3C with the Pens last year. They went from relying on McKegg at the start of the year to having Sheahan at 4C and Brass at 3C (just as Sheahan was starting to finally come into his own, no less). I was over the moon because Brassard was just the kind of player I wanted to see at 3C

But all that said, despite having to move on from him a year later, I'm happy as hell that Rutherford took a swing at him. This happened before with David Perron, and Rutherford was out a 1st rounder. Instead he managed to make lemonade out of that lemon. And as a GM in Pitt, he's hit many more times than he's missed. I sure prefer him actually trying to do something to improve the team over Shero's almost constant "wait and see" mentality that saw the Pens squander their best years with second rate depth

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Find that fan base you can convince and reply back.. hear from you never.
It takes a lot of talent to be able to convince folks of something that's entirely fabricated. It can be done, but that seems an awful lot of effort to be putting in just for the sake of just a tiny little Internet Argument.

* * *​
What? Brassard would be the best center Montreal has had in years.
Brassard five years ago, sure. Brass as he is lately? Danault is comparable and Domi's been inexplicably disgustingly awesome.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It takes a lot of talent to be able to convince folks of something that's entirely fabricated. It can be done, but that seems an awful lot of effort to be putting in just for the sake of just a tiny little Internet Argument.

* * *​

Brassard five years ago, sure. Brass as he is lately? Danault is comparable and Domi's been inexplicably disgustingly awesome.

Speaking of Danault, that's a guy that would be a PERFECT fit on the Pens' third line.

The Habs will not move him and they would be stupid to, but gosh he'd be a great fit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dreger: ‘Strong’ trade market for Brassard

Darren Dreger had a Wednesday evening TV hit on NBCSN, and was asked what he felt the market was like Derick Brassard.

“I think it’s strong because teams, contending teams, are always looking for depth up the middle of the ice,” noted Dreger. “Derick Brassard can play in the 2-hole as a No. 2 center. He can play as a No. 3 center, where he’s been for the most part with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

bUt BrAsSaRd Is A cAp DuMp!!!!!!!!!! I wOuLdN't PaY a 2Nd FoR hIm!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Insider Trading

Pittsburgh media members have been saying this for months at this point, but it's still worthwhile to share. The Penguins don't think Brassard is a fit on their 3rd line, so they're likely going to move him and bring in a replacement 3C.

Edit: an idea I saw thrown out on another site is Brassard+ to Minnesota for Coyle. Minnesota needs more offensive talent, seeing how they're 24th in goals for this year, and they may potentially lose Staal this year to free agency. Being able to re-sign Brassard to be one of your top-6 centers may be a positive in the eyes of the Wild.
That's horrendous for MINN.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The more you know.
Wow you saw a trade idea on a PITT fanboy website and you thought it was worth bringing up here despite it obviously being 1) ridiculously bad value for the other team 2) making no sense for that team's roster needs and position in the "contend/rebuild" conintuum.

Well, guess what, I saw on a site an offer for Schlemko and Hudon for Brassard. Was that offer worth bringing up too?

And are you ready to admit you were wrong that Brassard is a borderline #1?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

* * *​

And given other factors, I'd rather have Danault.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What? Brassard would be the best center Montreal has had in years.

Hahahaha

Domi, Danault and KK have out-produced Brass by a wide margin this season. In fact, our 5th C (Peca) is on the same ppg pace as Brass!!

Brassard would be the most expensive 4th line C since Scott Gomez!

He has very little value and possibly negative value unless the Pens retain salary.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wow you saw a trade idea on a PITT fanboy website and you thought it was worth bringing up here despite it obviously being 1) ridiculously bad value for the other team 2) making no sense for that team's roster needs and position in the "contend/rebuild" conintuum.

Well, guess what, I saw on a site an offer for Schlemko and Hudon for Brassard. Was that offer worth bringing up too?

And are you ready to admit you were wrong that Brassard is a borderline #1?

Damn dude, you have some sort of weird obsession with this. What's your problem? Are you just that obsessed with some random HFBoard poster?

I actually thought I put you on ignore after your last tantrum, I guess I forgot to do that. Time to fix that up.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Damn dude, you have some sort of weird obsession with this. What's your problem? Are you just that obsessed with some random HFBoard poster?

I actually thought I put you on ignore after your last tantrum, I guess I forgot to do that. Time to fix that up.
So then you aren't ready to admit you were wrong?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Hahahaha

Domi, Danault and KK have out-produced Brass by a wide margin this season. In fact, our 5th C (Peca) is on the same ppg pace as Brass!!

Brassard would be the most expensive 4th line C since Scott Gomez!

He has very little value and possibly negative value unless the Pens retain salary.

You know that situation, chemistry, and opportunity plays a huge factor in production right? Looking at points accrued by a player on one team is pretty meaningless. What matters more is skillset and if he fits the team's build and could potentially fit a role.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
ooh Thank god the habs have found 3 good Cs this year. Cuz we all know Berge would probably have been drooling over this Frenchy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You know that situation, chemistry, and opportunity plays a huge factor in production right? Looking at points accrued by a player on one team is pretty meaningless. What matters more is skillset and if he fits the team's build and could potentially fit a role.

Point production is the singlemost important factor in assessing the value of a top-6 C! To claim its meaningless is laughable.

If you truly believe that then perhaps i can interest you in a Lucic??

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait, was he traded for high value ?? Nope, I don’t see any trade on the interwebs.... lol

Uh.....what? You said that Brassard had "little value" and "negative value if the Penguins don't retain". Dreger said tonight that there is a strong market for Brassard, which means he's going to bring back good value based solely on demand. Where's your evidence that he has little to negative value? I don't see any trades on the interwebs....lol

Reactions: Trade and Son Goku

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Uh.....what? You said that Brassard had "little value" and "negative value if the Penguins don't retain". Dreger said tonight that there is a strong market for Brassard, which means he's going to bring back good value based solely on demand. Where's your evidence that he has little to negative value? I don't see any trades on the interwebs....lol

My opinion is very clear.

Brass is massively underperforming. He’s older and expensive. I don’t see the Pens getting any value unless they retain salary. I don’t see any competitor taking him in as a 2C option and if they do - they are not a serious competitir.

As fora 3C - he sucks and is poor defensively.

Dreger’s speculation will likely be proven to be false.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Point production is the singlemost important factor in assessing the value of a top-6 C! To claim its meaningless is laughable.

If you truly believe that then perhaps i can interest you in a Lucic??

No it's not. It's why a player like Aberg or Pirri can go from the AHL and be productive at the NHL level. It's all about opportunity, skillset, and usage or how William Karlsson or Elias Lindholm can become star players. It's all about being plugged in to a compatible synergistic role that works with what they have so they can be productive.

For example, Lucic can't skate, and many of his other skillsets including passing are average at best. That limits the ways and builds he can be effective in. Lucic could very well turn things around and be a productive player, but it has to be under the right usage and opportunity, and pretty much no team is going to want to take on that cap hit for that type of potential reward.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Just trade him for a 3rd and bring someone else in who fits the role better.

Middle six center is code for 4th liner on a stacked team lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad