Dreger: Brassard likely to be traded

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Is Brass still good on FOs? If so I could see the Caps as a match but even then Eller is kinda entrenched as 3C and he’s not going anywhere.

Also considering the teams all I’d be willing to offer is Herpes. As in, literally in exchange for Brassard the Pens get Actual Herpes.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Until TB got McDonagh I was convinced the Pens would win the cup again when they got Brassard. Didnt really work out for them. They can probably fetch him for a decent return.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Is Brass still good on FOs? If so I could see the Caps as a match but even then Eller is kinda entrenched as 3C and he’s not going anywhere.

Also considering the teams all I’d be willing to offer is Herpes. As in, literally in exchange for Brassard the Pens get Actual Herpes.
haha there's no f***ing way JR is trading Brass to the Caps so he can regain form and torture the Pens in the playoffs. Not a chance.

Reactions: Trade

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Brassard is traded to Minnesota there is 0 chance it will be for Coyle.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If you don't need us to retain, than Brassard and Jarry would be an even swap for us. If you need us to retain (his AAV is $6M) then we'd want more coming back of course. What level of retention would you want?

Staal's cap hit being 6M, I guess we would need 50%. I'd be ready to give up a 2nd for that with not much hesitation as Staal has term AND is a known fit in the Burgh.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Brassard's always been a bit of a tweener. I think his contract is probably too high for what he is, but because he's a center some team will probably trade for him. That plus he's only a rental.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
So the Wild needs more offensive talent, they need to get younger and more dynamic offensively and they'll trade a 26-year-old Coyle who is signed for this and the next season and has shown he can outscore the other guy for a 31 year old signed for only this season as the main piece coming back?

I hate the Wild and wish them nothing but eternal mediocrity, but even I can see they should not make this deal.
You must have a good genie!

Reactions: Ivan13

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Staal's cap hit being 6M, I guess we would need 50%. I'd be ready to give up a 2nd for that with not much hesitation as Staal has term AND is a known fit in the Burgh.
Jordan Staal at $3M for the next four years and you'd be willing to give up a 2nd? Where do we sign....

Reactions: Trade

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Insider Trading

Pittsburgh media members have been saying this for months at this point, but it's still worthwhile to share. The Penguins don't think Brassard is a fit on their 3rd line, so they're likely going to move him and bring in a replacement 3C.

Edit: an idea I saw thrown out on another site is Brassard+ to Minnesota for Coyle. Minnesota needs more offensive talent, seeing how they're 24th in goals for this year, and they may potentially lose Staal this year to free agency. Being able to re-sign Brassard to be one of your top-6 centers may be a positive in the eyes of the Wild.
Brassard isn’t a want or need in any sort of way.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
brassard for anisimov....chicago flips brassard at the deadline for whatever they can get.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'd probably say that Staal isn't possible for anything above $5 million. Ideally, it's closer to $4.5 or $4.75 million.

I don't think you'd get much resistance to the Penguins adding to get some salary retention. The issue is I feel like Carolina's management will have a much higher view on Staal's value, if they even want to trade him. What is worth noting is that JR has inquired about Staal before as GM for the Penguins, I think you heard rumors about him asking Carolina about his availability in 2017. When he was asked about it on a radio show, he basically said "I can't talk about players on other teams, but I love Staal", which basically confirms those rumors.

I'd be fine with doing Brassard, Jarry and a 1st for Staal at anything below $4.75 million.

Take out Jarry add a 2nd or LW/C prospect and we'll retain to 4.5.

Staal @ 4.5 for Brassard 1st other piece

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Brassard just had 46 points in 72 games last season, 40 of which came 5v5. He's not washed up at all. He Just isn't a fit, Much like how Perron wasn't a fit here.

He'll probably start putting up good numbers elsewhere.

Arizona could use him, believe it or not but they're still in a playoff race. And they could resign him.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Dude, I'd probably give up more, but I am a huge Jordan Staal fan.

That being said, the Canes could get a much better deal if they want to move Staal. Does he have a NTC?
Yes he does, a full NMC, so he choses where he goes. My guess if the Canes wanted to move him, and I really have no idea, Pittsburgh is probably the only place he'd green light.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not worth flaming you for, but I agree that Brassard isn't a good base for Coyle. The base would really be whatever the plus is, with Brassard as a fill-in for the rest of the year: Fenton gets an asset for Coyle without totally flushing the season down the drain. The prospect of extending Brassard doesn't add much value when we're talking about a UFA, though.

There are probably Wild fans that would take a 1st + Brassard for Coyle so it's not crazy, but I think it's a bad idea. Coyle's younger and should be a safer bet to extend, possibly for less than Brassard. And overall I just like Coyle's game better.

Yeah, the entire basis of that deal would have to be Minnesota liking Brassard. If they didn't like Brassard, they could get better for Coyle elsewhere. Someone else would pay top-6 RWer prices for him I'd bet, especially a team looking to add size.

So then why isn't he a fit for #3c? Is Dreger suggesting he's a better fit for a #2C? Why replace him with a #3c if he's a better option? Is starting a little less in the O-zone really that much a problem where you would want to downgrade to a real #3c?

In the context of how their teams use their 2nd lines and 3rd lines, yes. I don't think it's a problem of "he needs to be a top-6 center", he just needs to be a center on an offensive line. If you have a 2C like Henrique or Staal, someone who can eat heavy defensive deployments, you can have Brassard as your 3C and use your 3rd line like an offensive line. That just doesn't work in Pittsburgh because of who they have above him, they can't (and won't) use Crosby and Malkin in a defensive role.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Take out Jarry add a 2nd or LW/C prospect and we'll retain to 4.5.

Staal @ 4.5 for Brassard 1st other piece

Carolina wouldn't be interested in Jarry? That's a little surprising to me, I feel like they'd be very interested in him. NHL ready goalie prospect with decent upside (probably average starter or good 1B upside) seems like a very solid piece to have, especially considering Carolina's goaltending situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad