Value of: Brandon Saad and Kevin Hayes at 50% retained each

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ToastedRavioli

Jun 29, 2023
Army isn't a fan of retaining on contracts with term. Usually we only retain on pending UFA's, I don't see him doing differently to be honest.
I do think it's far fetched that he trades both, yet alone one this year at 50% retained. But that's besides the point of gauging the potential value of such a trade.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Multi-year retention is rare. Multi-year retention to improve the return rather than to facilitate a trade (identified by either a giveaway price or a really expensive contract) is even rarer. Looking over CF's list, McCabe (2023), Brassard (2018), Yandle (2014) and Versteeg (2013) are the only ones that jump out to me.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Flyers dumped Hayes for basically nothing at 50%. I understand the contract was worse. But has he played well at all? I don’t follow him and was glad he was traded.

I’d guess his value would be minimal.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Multi-year retention is rare. Multi-year retention to improve the return rather than to facilitate a trade (identified by either a giveaway price or a really expensive contract) is even rarer. Looking over CF's list, McCabe (2023), Brassard (2018), Yandle (2014) and Versteeg (2013) are the only ones that jump out to me.
In new CBA retention rules changed. Before if you traded a 1+ UFA you could only retain up to what was owed that current year or around 22% of salary.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I do think it's far fetched that he trades both, yet alone one this year at 50% retained. But that's besides the point of gauging the potential value of such a trade.

In that case maybe two 2nd's or a 2nd and a 3rd for either Saad or Hayes? The first 2nd for retaining, the other pick for actual value. IMO not enough value coming back to retain for 2 seasons. IF we decide to move Saad and/or Hayes I'd rather take on an expiring bad contract as part of the deal instead of retaining (which might potentially 'hurt' us when we try to be competitive again in 2 seasons).

Only player I'd consider retaining on who has term left on his contract is Buchnevich, but only if Army thinks we're not going to be competitive next season and we can get a valuable piece back to jumpstart our next window.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Makes no sense to trade them at the current time. Then on top of that. their trade value really isn't high enough to warrant creating a hole In the roster.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Looks like Hayes is 2C, would STL really be looking to move him?

You guys want Acciari back?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not a part of the same trade.
Brandon Saad would have 2 years after this season at 2.25M
Kevin Hayes would have 2 years after this season at 1.785M
You’re a year too soon IMO. I’d be looking to move Saad and Leddy as soon as next TDL with 50% retention for good futures packages. Doesn’t really make sense this year IMO…don’t think any return would be significantly larger this year vs next and both are useful players for this years Blues team.

Flyers dumped Hayes for basically nothing at 50%. I understand the contract was worse. But has he played well at all? I don’t follow him and was glad he was traded.

I’d guess his value would be minimal.
He’s been pretty good, better than I expected TBH. Been putting up some points, crushing it on faceoffs, and all indications are that he is a good fit in the locker room. He also has value to the Blues as a cheap place holder at C so we don’t need to rush our prospects.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Looks like Hayes is 2C, would STL really be looking to move him?

You guys want Acciari back?

He mostly played 3C this season but has played on our second line on occasion.

Is Acciari really that bad for you guys? With the Blues he was an adequate 4th liner. Not interested in him now though, unless there is a larger trade with the Pens and we have to take on a bad contract. But even then, I'd rather not as he's got too much term.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
In that case maybe two 2nd's or a 2nd and a 3rd for either Saad or Hayes? The first 2nd for retaining, the other pick for actual value. IMO not enough value coming back to retain for 2 seasons. IF we decide to move Saad and/or Hayes I'd rather take on an expiring bad contract as part of the deal instead of retaining (which might potentially 'hurt' us when we try to be competitive again in 2 seasons).

Only player I'd consider retaining on who has term left on his contract is Buchnevich, but only if Army thinks we're not going to be competitive next season and we can get a valuable piece back to jumpstart our next window.
Snuggerud is coming this season. Dvorsky will be here next year. I ssy keep filling the pipeline

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
You’re a year too soon IMO. I’d be looking to move Saad and Leddy as soon as next TDL with 50% retention for good futures packages. Doesn’t really make sense this year IMO…don’t think any return would be significantly larger this year vs next and both are useful players for this years Blues team.

He’s been pretty good, better than I expected TBH. Been putting up some points, crushing it on faceoffs, and all indications are that he is a good fit in the locker room. He also has value to the Blues as a cheap place holder at C so we don’t need to rush our prospects.

That’s like the opposite of Hayes on the Flyers. He was untrusted. Couldn’t do anything but puck-hog and be a selfish player.

Glad to see he woke up.

Reactions: stl76

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Snuggerud is coming this season. Dvorsky will be here next year. I ssy keep filling the pipeline

I can see Snuggerud playing some games at the end of this season as soon as his college season is over, however I don't think Dvorsky will start the next season with us. He's eligible to start in the AHL so we don't have the '10-game nonsense' and lets see how that goes first. And even if both are playing in the big league next season, don't expect both of them to be more than third liners in their first season.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
If the Blues look like they're gonna miss the playoffs the by the deadline, they should absolutely try to trade both of these guys. They aren't going to get much in return but it would be better than nothing. They do have some value for playoff teams needing bottom 6 depth.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If the Blues look like they're gonna miss the playoffs the by the deadline, they should absolutely try to trade both of these guys. They aren't going to get much in return but it would be better than nothing. They do have some value for playoff teams needing bottom 6 depth.
Or they could do that next year. We still need to ice a roster. And both have a fairly low cap hit with 2 years left after this season. We have absolutely no reason to force a trade just to force a trade. We also should not be forcing our prospects into the NHL early. Which we would be doing.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Doubt the Blues get much of value, or at-least enough value to make it worth it to occupy to retention slots for 2 years. Hayes has more value but is a 2nd round pick worth Doug Armstrong's while to retain for 2 years? Generally teams only retain multiple years on guys if they get premium value (McCabe) or they simply can't stand the guy and want him off the roster at any cost (Johansen/Hayes in Philly). Don't think that is true in this case, atleast not with Hayes.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
No offense meant... but without seeing the avatar of the OP, I wouldn't even be sure which team these guys played for anymore...

Have they done anything of note recently to justify any trade value? A very brief look at their season stats tells me they aren't worth a whole lot.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Buckle up and prepare to be underwhelmed by a late 2nd for Marco Scandella. We might be able to wrangle the all important late 5th round pick out of them too if the market for D is terrible but I'm thinking the Blues have a pretty quiet TDL overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad