Brad's Friday Focus on Food: BBQ WINGS edition

Brad Chadwick

Jan 16, 2017
Good morning all,

For this week's Friday Focus on Food we delve into what i've seen to be a very popular food topic @here lately. CHICKEN WINGS.

We've talked nuggets vs. actual wings, fave wing places, sauce preferences, etc.

But all of this is revolving around buffalo-style chicken wing preparation, where they are deep fried and spun in sauce.

Last thing I want to do when it's hot af outside is fire up a deep skrillet of sloppy grease in my kitchen and hover over it for hours making batch after batch of wings to satisfy my wing cravings.

So what do I do? SMOKE THEM. IN A WEBER GIRLL. It's fun, it smells nice in the yard, and there's literally ZERO hovering involved - u can literally drink beers on ur deck while listening to tunes and throwing frisbees or whatevs.:handclap::handclap:

BradBQue'd Wings:

-Get a giant costco bag of frozen wings and thaw out a couple bowls worth
-make a rub - i like brown sugar/cayenne peppah/black peppah and salt from the sea. the old "keep it simple, idiot" is the best way to go
-rub the wings with the rub
-prep coals or wood for indirect heat, put wings on side with no coals, sprinkle wood chippahs over the coal side (i use applewood and hickory or walnut if i have it and just pile them on top the grate - if you have a smoker then u can be even lazier)
- smoke for about an hour
- lastly i flash-fry in peanut oil, super high heat for like 2 minutes/batch to crisp the skin, then sauce or put on more rub, or both.:yo::yo:

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
I don't fry buffalo wings. I steam them for 15 minutes to reduce their fat content and then convection roast @400°f for 20 minutes, flip and convection roast @385°f for 18 minutes. I toss them in a sauce comprised of Frank's Xtra Hot sauce, Tapatio, and El Yucateco Xxxtra Hot Kutbil-ik de Chile Habanero Mayan recipe hot sauce.

This produces a healthy alternative to greasy buffalo wings that are much tastier. And if you're using frozen instead of fresh, you should start calling this "Brad's Friday Out of Focus on Food".

Brad Chadwick

Jan 16, 2017
I don't fry buffalo wings. I steam them for 15 minutes to reduce their fat content and then convection roast @400°f for 20 minutes, flip and convection roast @385°f for 18 minutes. I toss them in a sauce comprised of Frank's Xtra Hot sauce, Tapatio, and El Yucateco Xxxtra Hot Kutbil-ik de Chile Habanero Mayan recipe hot sauce.

This produces a healthy alternative to greasy buffalo wings that are much tastier. And if you're using frozen instead of fresh, you should start calling this "Brad's Friday Out of Focus on Food".

Like that approach. Tried it before as well, didn't get crispy enough for me but I'm not a vegan.

As far as frozen chicken wings goes, they're individually flash frozen, never had a problem with them. Also, they are chicken wings. CHICKEN WINGS. BTW Many grocers that sell you "fresh wings" are selling you packages that were once frozen (not flash frozen) and have thawed lol, so u might be joking yourself with this snobbery, baw.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
The actual recipe called for 10 minutes of steaming, 20/20 min @425°f but I had to increase the steaming and reduce cooking time/temp because they were way too crispy (and I prefer extra crispy wings). I get my wings from a local butcher who separates the drums for me, so they've never been frozen. Nice shtick, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad