Brad Marchand or Corey Perry?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who has been the better player over their careers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If Marchand isn't ahead now, he will be before his career is over. Perry has the Hart and Richard year, and that's great, but I don't think he was much better than the level Marchand has performed at for the past 4 seasons, and Perry only has one other season near that level. He probably has a few more good seasons outside of that than Marchand, but even then, Marchand's offense was limited by a lack of PP time previously. In general I like Marchand's transition and playmaking game more, as well as his versatility as an elite PKer and good defensive player when he wants to be. Perry has a couple seasons as a better goalscorer, but in general I don't think his edge there makes up for the edge Marchand has in the rest of his game.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd take Marchand now over Perry at his peak, he peaked on a weak year for top end players.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Very different trajectories from these 2. Perry had a strong peak from about 23-30 and has fallen off hard since then. Marchand a definite late-bloomer with a peak starting at about age 27 through now (32). Perry's best season in 10-11 when he won the Hart and Rocket will surely beat anything Marchand ever does, BUT, Marchand is 3 years younger and only 150 career points behind Perry, so I'd expect him to overtake Perry in career points when all is said and done. They'll probably have about equal standing as players when we look back at them, unless Marchand keeps his point per game play up for another 3+ years.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Marchand has been a top 10 player for 4 years running.

I don't think you could cherry pick any 4 seasons you wanted from Perry's career to make such a case.

Perry has the Hart and the Rocket and I understand that argument. Those are important trophies to win and he won them. But he also won nothing else in his career, topped 70 points 3 other times, and finished with a lone 13th place Hart vote across his other 14 seasons.

I'll even add that Marchand will almost certainly not win a single piece of major hardware in his career. However, for Hart nominations, he has finished 7th, 11, 5th, and I'd be surprised to not see another within top 10 vote for this season. He's also been getting respectable Selke nominations (in the 10-16 range).

He is 5th in total points and tied for 3rd in PPG over the past 4 seasons. He is 4th in total points and 6th in PPG over the last 5 seasons. McDavid, Kucherov, Drai, Crosby, Malkin, Kane. He trails, ties, or leads some combination of those players in both categories. MacKinnon slides into these stats when you shrink it to the last 3 seasons or less. That's huge and I feel like most people still don't realize it.

I still think Marchand has already surpassed him cumulatively and 2-3 more seasons of his play similar to his level over the past 4 years should make it clear for those who don't already see it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I wondered if this poll was strictly about their ability to irritate when I clicked it.

Knowing it's about them as hockey players, it's Marchand by a lot.

Reactions: Wrath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad