Bouchard vs Dobson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hu

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Bouchard then, Bouchard a year ago, Bouchard now, Bouchard future.

Lol at the results, though.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Dobson just put up 70 points on a team that scored nearly 50 less goals and he plays defense. If I was picking for a hardest shot competition Bouchard would be my guy but otherwise give me Dobson
Interesting how that offense dries up so quickly in the playoffs year after year.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Dobson just put up 70 points on a team that scored nearly 50 less goals and he plays defense. If I was picking for a hardest shot competition Bouchard would be my guy but otherwise give me Dobson
Dobson was better in the regular season, but I think you're both underrating Bouchard's defense and severely overrating Dobson's defense. In the playoffs though, Dobson had 1 point and was hemmed in his own zone, while Bouchard sure had notable gaffes now and then, but overall played a strong transition game, and an excellent offensive game and played a role in the Oilers making it to game 7 of SCF.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Dobson was better in the regular season, but I think you're both underrating Bouchard's defense and severely overrating Dobson's defense. In the playoffs though, Dobson had 1 point and was hemmed in his own zone, while Bouchard sure had notable gaffes now and then, but overall played a strong transition game, and an excellent offensive game and played a role in the Oilers making it to game 7 of SCF.
And you dont think things would be different if they swapped teams? Little bit different playing on a contender that has 2 of the best players in the game vs the Islanders

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dobson just put up 70 points on a team that scored nearly 50 less goals and he plays defense.
Yeah, plays defense worse than Bouchard.

For example, offensive zone time 40% on Dobson(below avg), 46.7% on Bouchard(98th percentile, McDavid's is 44.5% btw).

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
And you dont think things would be different if they swapped teams? Little bit different playing on a contender that has 2 of the best players in the game vs the Islanders
I don't doubt Bouchard wouldn't have been great with the Islanders against the Hurricanes. But Bouchard's shot, ability to keep the puck in the zone absolutely played a key role in the Oilers success. He had more points than Draisaitl. In a lot of the Oilers close games, I don't think Dobson would have made a difference in the playoffs.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I doubt Dobson would get 10mph extra on his shot by playing with McD or Draisaitl.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
hence why I said Id pick Bouchard in a hardest shot competition but Dobson here
Well, scoring almost twice as many goals is a significant reason for why Bouchard is better than Dobson.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t know why people think Dobson’s defense is an advantage. Both guys have their share of gaffs/bad games still and both can look great in other games. I’d say Bouchard’s defensive game got better as the year went along though whereas Dobson’s got worse leading to a poor playoffs. Bouchard’s underlying defensive numbers are also way better, though I do think they’re influenced partly by teammates. I don’t think it’s definitive either way but I’d probably take Bouchard right now for his strong playoff performances.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don’t know why people think Dobson’s defense is an advantage. Both guys have their share of gaffs/bad games still and both can look great in other games. I’d say Bouchard’s defensive game got better as the year went along though whereas Dobson’s got worse leading to a poor playoffs. Bouchard’s underlying defensive numbers are also way better, though I do think they’re influenced partly by teammates. I don’t think it’s definitive either way but I’d probably take Bouchard right now for his strong playoff performances.
Yeah I think Dobson's defensive game is very overrated.

Dobson in the draft had the advantage of being more NHL ready and better defensively, whereas Bouchard had higher potential especially offensively. Their NHL paths have basically been that so far, but Dobson actually hasn't really been that good defensively.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I would've said Dobson 6 months ago but Bouchard has elevated to a higher level now

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think Dobson was better this past regular season, but Bouchard's recent playoff run was better than anything I've seen from either of before it. One one hand, that could mean Bouchard has 'leveled up' to surpass Dobson. On the other, he may have just been on a well timed hot streak, and Dobson is still the better player.

I'm I'm on the fence here TBH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad