Proposal: Boston/Dallas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I have no interest in trading for Michael Ryder.

Why can't we be more creative than this? As a board?
When we ask about cheap veteran depth, what are the names that pop up more often than any others? Miro Satan, Samsonov, Marco Sturm... When we look for outside help in a deal? Mike Ryder. When we talk about our third line: "Sure do miss Benoit Pouliot"

:dunno:

We can think of something stronger. We can do better than this.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

When we ask about cheap veteran depth, what are the names that pop up more often than any others? Miro Satan, Samsonov, Marco Sturm... When we look for outside help in a deal? Mike Ryder. When we talk about our third line: "Sure do miss Benoit Pouliot"

This is "the devil you know" (not Miro) school of thought. The alternative is "the grass is always greener" where we are constantly trading David Krejci for anyone and everyone that might be available ever. Both get tired but whatareyagonnado?

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
It would take more for dallas to give ryder up. already has a few goals this season and just scored 35 last... 35 goals is a lot on any team.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Caron/4th might get us a Eric Nystrom or Vernon Fiddler. If Boston wants any of Ryder, Jagr, Whitney or even Morrow, they'll have to start by offering a 1st rounder and add from there.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Caron/4th might get us a Eric Nystrom or Vernon Fiddler. If Boston wants any of Ryder, Jagr, Whitney or even Morrow, they'll have to start by offering a 1st rounder and add from there.

Let's start with the fact that NONE of those players are worth first round picks.
And if the Bruins had wanted them in the first place they were all available in free agency.
If Chia makes a move at the trade DL it won't be for any of those four guys you mentioned. And certainly not with 1st round picks.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Curtis Glencross

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Let's start with the fact that NONE of those players are worth first round picks.
And if the Bruins had wanted them in the first place they were all available in free agency.
If Chia makes a move at the trade DL it won't be for any of those four guys you mentioned. And certainly not with 1st round picks.

Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand. Should Dallas offer any of those players at the deadline, each would garner much more than just a 1st rounder. As I said earlier: Paul Gaustad returned a 1st rounder when he was on an expiring contract.

Using the 'if the Bruins wanted them they could've had them in free agency' argument isn't necessarily correct as free agency is about multiple years whereas the trade deadline is usually about trading for a guy up on an expiring contract for a playoff run. There is also much more cap room available at the deadline than what you have to be under at the start of the season, so the Bruins may have avoided someone then who they can now afford.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
so we are supposed to give up assets now to get him back after giving him up for nothing?

agreed he would make us a better team as it stands, but it seems like a regressive move after letting him go the first time. I also am not sure how good of a team guy he would be to bring in after all this, I know he was huge for us in winning the cup, but I always got the sense from him that he was kind of a lone wolf in attitude, I always noticed he didn't seem to like Seguin when there was a goal celebration. great player when the chips are on the line though, for sure

Ryder had great chemistry with Seggy. One fun moment for me during the playoffs of 2011 was watching the two of them giggle on the bench after a nice goal.

From where I sit Ryder was very well liked by his teammates and guys who work behind the bench. I doubt we will see Michael back in black and gold but I wouldn't mind if it happened. He showed up big time for the important games and can stop a puck too ;)

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
I wouldn't be against bringing back Ryder, even Jagr would be sweet from Dallas

As for a move with the Flames I still would love to see Iggy becomes a Bruin but I know it's probably never going to happen

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

I'd take Ryder back.

Despite his flaws, he had chemistry with those guys and he helped make that 3rd line a legitimate scoring threat. With him, the B's were good enough to win so, in my mind, there's sort of this artificial tipping point for that line and this team that starts with a player of Ryder's caliber.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do better, and 'better' has been suggested IMO (i.e. Ryan Clowe, El Nino...), but given that they don't have the cap space to retain anyone not on an ELC, there's a tough balance to strike between what you're getting vs what you have to give up.

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
Curtis Glencross

This. I like this option.

He's got two years left on his contract after this season but only at $2.5m/year. 40+ points in three of his four last seasons, 5 pts in 6GP this season. I think he'd fit in nicely.

Don't know what Calgary's asking price would be though. Also, capgeek says he has a NMC.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This keeps popping up in several places, and I was just wondering if you could give me some more information about Caron.

Personally, and you may have seen this in the trade forum, he seems redundant in Dallas. The organizational depth at wing for Dallas is very deep, and 4 are already pushing to be full time NHLers: Tomas Vincour, Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser, and Alex Chaisson.

That said, the idea of a prospect and pick is probably correct. Despite 4 poor seasons of hockey, Dallas has never been a traditional seller at the deadline. Hopefully this is the year that changes. Even if they pull out of their current nose dive, they don't have a good team.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Dallas will only consider trading Ryder if it looks like they will not make the playoffs,so getting Ryder back might be a possibility if he doesn't play particularly well the next few months[a distinct possibility knowing him].I would like him back but surely there must be comparable options out there.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Why don't we just go after O'Reilly from the Avs? I'd rather him than Ryder. Let that ship sail. O'Reilly already wants to be a Bruin. (Dom tweeted it). He'd look great on the 3rd line.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Right now Carons trade value is basically an another failed 1st round prospect like it was Hamill. We are not getting anything close to Ryder or Jagr for him, adding a 2nd or not.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
i think Morrow would be the most realistic option for the Bruins, but i would definitely welcome Ryder back. there are a few guys i have in mind for the third line for the Bruins...

Morrow
Glencross
Clowe
Jamie McGinn

all of these guys would add a spark and some sandpaper to that line. i really love Jamie McGinn, hasn't completely put it together yet in the NHL but is close. had twenty goals last year, is very good in front of the net, has speed and hits hard. he can also drop the gloves if needed, really fits this teams identity.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Why don't we just go after O'Reilly from the Avs? I'd rather him than Ryder. Let that ship sail. O'Reilly already wants to be a Bruin. (Dom tweeted it). He'd look great on the 3rd line.

No access to Twitter at work, what did Dom's Tweet say?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Right now Carons trade value is basically an another failed 1st round prospect like it was Hamill. We are not getting anything close to Ryder or Jagr for him, adding a 2nd or not.

Well Dallas has one of those two, and he's a bit younger and injury prone.

Is he so bad that Boston would consider a Glennie for Caron swap in hopes that a move would rejuvenate both?

Glennie doesn't look like he'll develop into a Top 6 winger, but he played good, defensive hockey last year. This season, he's dealing with a 2nd injury and extended time out.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

O'Reilly's a tremendous player, but...

Getting him is easier said than done. Lots of teams will be interested in a two-way center with Selke potential. And how much will he cost to re-sign? If he's looking for $5m+ it could mean the B's have to let Horton walk and trade Peverley to afford it. What about the makeup of the team? Would the B's be better served by a third $5m center or a $5m winger?

It seems like a team-changing type of move and I don't think the B's feel they need to restructure.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
No access to Twitter at work, what did Dom's Tweet say?

I don't have twitter but I do talk and text with Dom and I know he knows O'Reilly and I think I remember:sarcasm: him saying O'Reilly may be a bit of a fan of the black and gold (although this was before 'the fight with Buffalo' and he might be either embarrassed to be a Bruins or gun shy knowing the Bruins are going to be targeted now that they are teddy bears)

David Krejci*

Anyone who dumps on Ryder for inconsistency in the regular season can go jump off a bridge. The guy is money in the playoffs, an absolute animal and I'd take him back in a heartbeat, I never wanted them to let him walk in the first place.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Clowe will not be available at the deadline. San Jose is too good. Might as well put James Neal on the list.

I like the idea of Glencross or Morrow for the grind and (sorry) Ryder for the familiarity factor.

Glencross would be a nice fit as a Bruin but I think Calgary would keep him unless there was an overpayment.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Have you not followed the last couple trade deadlines. If Paul Gaustad fetches a 1st round pick, the guys I listed will fetch much more. As for saying if the Bruins wanted them, they would signed them in the offseason, maybe they didn't want to sign in Boston or maybe Boston was content with what they had at the time. Just bizarre reasoning.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Yeah, heaven forbid anyone wants back that guy who helped us win the cup and went on to have a career year last season. ;)

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I'd take Ryder back.

Despite his flaws, he had chemistry with those guys and he helped make that 3rd line a legitimate scoring threat. With him, the B's were good enough to win so, in my mind, there's sort of this artificial tipping point for that line and this team that starts with a player of Ryder's caliber.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do better, and 'better' has been suggested IMO (i.e. Ryan Clowe, El Nino...), but given that they don't have the cap space to retain anyone not on an ELC, there's a tough balance to strike between what you're getting vs what you have to give up.

I know Niederreiter was your thread Bill, but there's no way Niederreiter is a better pick up in the context of a deadline move than Ryder. I would rather aquire Niederreiter and I would give up more assets, but if he is the short term solution this year to the third line we might as well stick with Bourque, Caron or Spooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad