Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] G Jeremy Swayman signs extension with the Bruins (8 years, $8.25M AAV)

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I am a certified Bruins hater but don't think you're crediting the organization enough here, they're good at identifying both players and coaches that will buy into their philosophy. Also this list is just full of flat out incredible goalies lol
I dunno, lets how Ullmark looks in Ottawa... prediction: bad

wasnt exactly stellar in Buffalo either.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s 2024. You use the media and lack of off-season interest to your advantage whether you are the team or the player.

Do you think there’s residual bad blood here? Do you think both sides willingly agreed to an 8 year partnership if they are so aggrieved due to “things being public?”
That’s a good point. Creating drama in the off season is the hook to keep fans interested. I hadn’t considered this perspective. It’s a continuous soap opera. “Days of Our Lives” for men?

Reactions: BKarchitect

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
All of this drama for a contract that should have been signed months ago

% wise this is probably lower than rasks when he signed his 8 year deal and while Swayman doesn’t have a vezina yet I think he’s the better goalie of the two

Getting more than the 8x8 after that press conference makes Swayman look and feel like he won. Giving more than 8x8 makes management look like they bent a bit, but didn't really get bent over. I understand why both would be willing to do this deal especially just prior to the season.
There is no getting “bent over”
This is what they call a good faith offer from the bruins

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
That's a bit rich. But I'd bet that by the end of this season the fans of most teams would happily trade their goalie situation for Swayman and a backup.

And I'm not a Bruins fan.

Reactions: Fatass

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Swayman wanted a McAvoy contract and to defend the honor of future goalies. He was never taking a discount.

Yep. It's not a bad deal, it just seems from the outside that Boston used to get "great deals" and not just "fair deals".

I am not knocking the player or the contract, I am just glad it didn't come with a Beantown discount.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Now that he is paid we can move to the scrutiny part where every goal is dissected and judged and laugh at Swayman or Boston depending on the situation because nothing matters and everything is made up

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Too much. He’s not worth it.
It's a lot compared to Saros at $7.74m AAV. Some goalies like Bobrovsky, however, earn $10m or more and after Shesterkin's upcoming deal prices will get higher. I think this is not an expensive contract for an organization that wants to be successful. It's another question whether Swayman is good enough but they traded Ullmark which shows that they believe in the goalie they chose. Now they pay that kind of money a starting goalie earns..

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
This is gonna age just like that previous Drai contract. I remember when that one was signed, tons of people were clamoring about how he got the bag and was overpaid. I understand the difference between goalie-skater contracts but if I'm the B's, I'm comfortable making this deal for a young goalie that has metrics as good as Sway.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Sway wanted 9.5, he came down and the Bruins went up but it was always going to be around 8. Neely got everyone to move on and get it down. So 64 for 8 years became 66 for 8 years, which is going to be peanuts after the next big 3 sign in a few years maybe north of 10.
No disagreement there. I don’t think this is a bad deal for the Bs. All I am saying is, 8x8 was the middle, like you’ve said (it was reported Bs we’re offering a $6.5m aav).. So 8x8 could have and maybe should have got it done. But when Neely goes public how can Swayman then come back and sign an 8x8 deal? This mistake by Neely may very well have cost the Bs $4m. I could certainly be wrong, but I doubt this $250k was the do/die factor for Swayman.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Getting more than the 8x8 after that press conference makes Swayman look and feel like he won. Giving more than 8x8 makes management look like they bent a bit, but didn't really get bent over. I understand why both would be willing to do this deal especially just prior to the season.
Best post on this page. Good job

Reactions: scholl

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Bullied into 2 million dollars after throwing a public hissy fit? The only people who don’t think Neely and the Bruins look like morons here are, coincidentally, Bruins fans.

Uhhhh no he didn’t. Unless you don’t think 2 million dollars is a lot of money
he implied 8x8 was the offer. "64 million reasons." Are we talking about the same press conference of a few days ago?

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
Better than 64 million reasons 🫠
Also 66 is better than 76 million he wanted, saved them 10 million.
Wait for the next big 3 to sign in a few years when the cap goes up, they will want 10 million.
This contract here will be a bargain.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Where will Igor land when comparing the two?

Don’t know much about their individual stats, just heard that Igor was a playoff performer and swayman wasn’t, quote “the bruins management”

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Glad that it's done for the Bruins, but man, that's rich for a player that doesn't have even half the accolades of Vasilevskiy or Hellebuyck. Let's see him play more than 55% of the season now.
I don’t know if this is serious but the whole idea is that you’d rather have Swayman’s next 8 years than those guys
And the prime goalie contract has been stuck in the $6Ms and Hellebuyck had the juice to move it up more and didn’t take advantage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad