Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] G Jeremy Swayman signs extension with the Bruins (8 years, $8.25M AAV)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
yep.... Julien, Cassidy, Montgomery. Almost all goalies under them have had great stats...

Thomas, Rask, Halak, Bishop, Khudobin, Price, Hill, Thompson, Brossoit, Ullmark, Swayman
I am a certified Bruins hater but don't think you're crediting the organization enough here, they're good at identifying both players and coaches that will buy into their philosophy. Also this list is just full of flat out incredible goalies lol

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
All that drama over $250k?

Both sides looks terrible on this.

I mean…contract negotiations?

If Swayman remains the goalie he has been his entire career and by cause/effect the Bruins remain competitive, nobody is going to care or “look terrible” in the long-run.

I mean just a couple of weeks ago the Wings had Mo Seider unsigned, should we assume everybody looks terrible there too? This is just all off-season contract stuff.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean…contract negotiations?

If Swayman remains the goalie he has been his entire career and by cause/effect the Bruins remain competitive, nobody is going to care or “look terrible” in the long-run.
The Bruins offered him $64M

He signed for $66M

Instead of causing a massive distraction, one of the sides should have just agreed to the 64/66

$2m on a contract that huge is nothing

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Swayman wanted $9.5m big dog

So what? I want $10 million.

You think Swayman is gonna be a sourpuss and throw games and be a distraction because he just willingly committed himself to the Bruins for 8 years?

Good thing Willy Nylander burned all those bridges on Toronto with a MUCH longer and more bitter RFA holdout. He’s gone on to be such a terrible player and distraction….

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
I don’t think anyone actually knows but them. However that wasn’t my point-it has nothing to do about blame. Once Neeely put $64m out there, Swayman signing that deal would be an admission that he was the bad guy. So he had to hold out for a bigger number. It’s only $4m on the total deal, but if he kept quiet he may have got that 8x8 deal signed.
Sway wanted 9.5, he came down and the Bruins went up but it was always going to be around 8. Neely got everyone to move on and get it down. So 64 for 8 years became 66 for 8 years, which is going to be peanuts after the next big 3 sign in a few years maybe north of 10.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's not a bad deal. It's an unfortunate one. I feels like if this were played differently by management they could have had the same good player for less money.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but arbitration last year, trading Ullmark before dealing with Swagman, Cam Neely to the media, etc. I think they are all factors in not getting a hometown discount here. Maybe if played differently they could have done 8 x $7.5m or something, who knows.

This is the next in line to sign with the B's and not give that Bruin discount that used to be so common. No deals were given by Sway, Pasta, Mac, Lindholm or Zadorov.

I guess the Bruins need to hope it's not system and coaching that makes goalies look good. We may get a glimpse of that in Ottawa and see.

Swayman wanted a McAvoy contract and to defend the honor of future goalies. He was never taking a discount.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So why do “both sides look terrible”?

And if you agree it’s inconsequential…who cares? How is this just not typical contract negotiation with a star player?
If both sides keep their traps shut (especially the Neely rant) then this gets done behind closed doors, like it should.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Neely didn’t get bullied. He did make himself look like an idiot with his public whining. But no one bullied him into that.

The irony. Whining is what the player and agent do.

Neely was well warranted to do so and it seems to have made all the difference in the end. Win for Neely.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If both sides keep their traps shut (especially the Neely rant) then this gets done behind closed doors, like it should.

It’s 2024. You use the media and lack of off-season interest to your advantage whether you are the team or the player.

Do you think there’s residual bad blood here? Do you think both sides willingly agreed to an 8 year partnership if they are so aggrieved due to “things being public?”

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The irony. Whining is what the player and agent do.

Neely was well warranted to do so and it seems to have made all the difference in the end. Win for Neely.
It’s not whether his words were warranted; it’s the whiny delivery that made him appear idiotic.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Wow. Swayman got his money. Bruins caved. Hopefully they can all move passed this and Swayman continues to be a great goalie and can live up to the contract

Boston didn't cave. Swayman wanted 8x9m. That number started dropping over the weekend.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad