Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] G Jeremy Swayman signs extension with the Bruins (8 years, $8.25M AAV)

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
His agent did a good job. This is a resetting of the RFA goalie market (although not all the way back to 10 years ago).

He got the Sorokin contract with lower Vezina finishes, less proven as a starter and with two years of RFA.

Glad it's over and Bruins fans can go back to arguing about hockey instead of contract comparables.

Also, hope the Bruins don't have to deal with Gross again.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Once Neely said $64m, he forced himself to have to go higher. Good on Swayman for holding his ground and getting what he thought he was worth. Good to see him signed, obv don’t like the B’s but it’s good for competitiveness in the division .
It is pretty obvious the agent lied about never hearing that number than Neely lying or erroneously putting it out that $64M was the latest offer

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Risky and trendsetting for a young goalie but IMO unlike most it seems, I feel like Sway will be worth it. It’s not just the stats behind a good defense, I think he’s got the “it” factor in net and has had it at every level and every move up into a new pressure situation.

He’s just rock solid consistency wise and that’s the thing that separates the cream of the crop in a league where any goalie can have a top 5-10 season but very few are able to do it year after year after year.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t the B’s offering 8x8 and Sway wanted over 9….this sounds more like a win for the B’s more than Sway.

The term is what would worry me… if he doesn’t live up to this, moving him will be impossible
That was my understanding too. B's came up by ~$400k and Swayman came down by ~$1.2M.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Lol what? You ever hear of a guy named goalie Bob? He's the reason for Boston's strong goaltending for the last 20 years.
I dont doubt that hes a big part of it, but playing a defensive system as a whole is the difference here.

Julien, Cassidy, and Montgomery are all great for goalies...

Go look at Bishop and Khudobin's stats when Monty was the coach in Dallas.

Price's numbers when Julien was in MTL

Hill, THompson, AND Brossoit 2 years ago under Cassidy

Reactions: YukonCornelius

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
How did he get bullied?

How? He was bullied into an extra .25?

I don’t think he’s earned it yet. He was great in the playoffs, but he hasn’t had a starter’s load, not to mention a starter’s load and the playoffs.
Bullied into 2 million dollars after throwing a public hissy fit? The only people who don’t think Neely and the Bruins look like morons here are, coincidentally, Bruins fans.

Neely said this offer was on the table in the press conference.
Uhhhh no he didn’t. Unless you don’t think 2 million dollars is a lot of money

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Why the f*** would Neely lie about the latest contract offer being $64M? What do you truly think he gains from lying? We’re talking about the agent Gross here who’s one of the most penny-ante agents there is.
He gains fans like you to tote water for him instead of a player who fought to ultimately sign an obvious contract that should have been on the table since July.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Good for him, some time ago he talked how he didn't want to accept peanuts because of his fellow goalies.

Well, thank God he didn't get stuck with the peanuts of $6-7 million per year instead of $8.25. I mean can you even raise a family on $6 mil per year anymore?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I dont doubt that hes a big part of it, but playing a defensive system as a whole is the difference here.

Julien, Cassidy, and Montgomery are all great for goalies.

Go look at Bishop and Khudobin's stats when Monty was the coach in Dallas.

Price's numbers when Julien was in MTL

Almost like the teams philosophy is defensive minded. So is it really the coach?

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Glad to see this resolved. It's a massive commitment to make to a goalie with a career high of 44 appearances, however I'm not doubting his talent.

Tidy and accurate way to put it. I feel pretty much the same.

This is probably going to be about the time at which the Bruins watch their pipeline especially close, viewing player representation by Lewis Gross as a reason to consider not taking on a player, avoiding the exceptionally squeaky gear.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Bullied into 2 million dollars after throwing a public hissy fit? The only people who don’t think Neely and the Bruins look like morons here are, coincidentally, Bruins fans.

Uhhhh no he didn’t. Unless you don’t think 2 million dollars is a lot of money
Tkachuk with the Cup in my profile pic, but…ok. I f***ing hate the Bruins.

Swayman supposedly asked for 9.5, he got an additional .25 since Neely got on TV. To sit there and carry on like this about $2 million when the ask was a lot more is frankly hilarious. Almost as hilarious as thinking I’m a Bruins fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad