Proposal: Bos-LA-Chi

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
You can always count on (most) trade proposals to give more consideration to one team than the other(s) - usually the favorite team of the proposer. The parameters are then bolstered with optimistic player assessments and team "needs".

I will address this proposal as a Hawks fan -

1. Retaining 50% of Ullmark: while $2.5M x 2 years is manageable, using 1 of the Hawks 2 remaining retentions limits other/better deals they could make over the next couple years. The price would have to be substantial enough to make it worth it.

2. JAD: don't need him, don't want him. The Hawks have a bunch of "JAD's" on their roster already.

3. 2025 2nd and 2024 4th: The Hawks have made 11 picks in both of the last 2 drafts, including (5) 1st's and (6) 2nd's. They already have (4) 1st's and (5) 2nd's in the next 2 drafts. At this point the Hawks are looking for quality draft picks - not quantity of more picks.

Summary: the compensation is not enough to make the deal.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
You can always count on (most) trade proposals to give more consideration to one team than the other(s) - usually the favorite team of the proposer. The parameters are then bolstered with optimistic player assessments and team "needs".

I will address this proposal as a Hawks fan -

1. Retaining 50% of Ullmark: while $2.5M x 2 years is manageable, using 1 of the Hawks 2 remaining retentions limits other/better deals they could make over the next couple years. The price would have to be substantial enough to make it worth it.

2. JAD: don't need him, don't want him. The Hawks have a bunch of "JAD's" on their roster already.

3. 2025 2nd and 2024 4th: The Hawks have made 11 picks in both of the last 2 drafts, including (5) 1st's and (6) 2nd's. They already have (4) 1st's and (5) 2nd's in the next 2 drafts. At this point the Hawks are looking for quality draft picks - not quantity of more picks.

Summary: the compensation is not enough to make the deal.
Well considering this is also bad for the Bruins I think he’s successfully made a proposal no one is really excited about.

The hawks certainly could have and I think should made use of their cap flexibility. It’s a flat cap this year so now was the time. I think they wasted a good opportunity. In saying that him offering you picks in the trade also addresses your teams needs wants. Prospects and picks. Yes you guys are loaded for the foreseeable future with them which is envious for sure. But then toy slag on them not being good picks. One is a 2nd which you highlighted as your strong picks so that doesn’t really make sense. Also gives you more to potentially trade down the line for actually nhl talent. I have no interest in the Bruins trading away any more picks even just a fourth. Trading a pick with Ullmark is ridiculous. Especially for the return.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Well considering this is also bad for the Bruins I think he’s successfully made a proposal no one is really excited about.

The hawks certainly could have and I think should made use of their cap flexibility. It’s a flat cap this year so now was the time. I think they wasted a good opportunity. In saying that him offering you picks in the trade also addresses your teams needs wants. Prospects and picks. Yes you guys are loaded for the foreseeable future with them which is envious for sure. But then toy slag on them not being good picks. One is a 2nd which you highlighted as your strong picks so that doesn’t really make sense. Also gives you more to potentially trade down the line for actually nhl talent. I have no interest in the Bruins trading away any more picks even just a fourth. Trading a pick with Ullmark is ridiculous. Especially for the return.

I've seen this notion that the Hawks "could have and should have" weaponized their cap space better than they did this offseason. The assumption there is that there were deals to be had that they turned down. That is utter nonsense. Taking a quick look around the offseason activities will show there were no other cap dump deals consummated that the Hawks could have made rather than some other team. It takes two to consummate a deal and some teams chose the buyout route rather than losing assets to do a cap dump. Other teams used LTIR to solve their cap problems. The reality is there weren't many opportunities to sell cap space for the Hawks or other teams.

As to the 2nd round pick as part of compensation - I had no problem with that but it isn't enough to use a retention slot and pay $2.5M for 2 years. Because - the 2nd was the only part of the proposal that had any value for the Hawks. JAD is just a guy and the Hawks have a bunch of those guys, and the 4th is worth next to nothing.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Ullmark is not a playoff performer and that is why you are trading him and going with Swayman

KIngs need someone that did not have a dubious playoff performance.

Blake wants Saros. No other GT rumors.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
LA is not trading Spence….they just traded other RD prospects. Spenser and Clark are their near term RD with Doughty

Ullmark doesn’t carry that value.

Tur othe…thry difnt trade him for PLD but they will give him for ullmark?

Ullmark for Danault might have a better bearing…..

I don't think Winnipeg wanted futures (i.e. Turcotte) so regardless of value I doubt he was involved in that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad