Online Series: BoJack Horseman

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Wasn’t a huge fan of the finale but I enjoyed the season as a whole. We never got to see Hollyhock again? Kinda surprised there.

Great show but fell a little flat for me.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Actually the more I think about it the more I hate the finale. Nothing is really wrapped up at all. It felt so rushed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just finished the final episode, sucks that it's not going to be back, great f***ing show. I enjoyed the last season overall but not sure what to think about the final episode, can't really say I like how it was handled but it had some good parts for sure.

Todd is such a great character.

Reactions: LarKing

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Just finished the final episode, sucks that it's not going to be back, great ****ing show. I enjoyed the last season overall but not sure what to think about the final episode, can't really say I like how it was handled but it had some good parts for sure.

Todd is such a great character.

Yeah I enjoyed parts of it. Really felt for Bojack the last season as he’s really trying and does well 99% of the time yet all his past stuff is brought up so he’s getting f***ed at every corner.

I think him checking himself back into rehab and it ending with a song showing where everyone else ends up would’ve been much better. Diane in Houston. Todd and the rabbit together. Princess Carolyn and Juda adopting more kids. Hollyhock going to see Bojack in recovery.

That would’ve wrapped things up so much better.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yeah I enjoyed parts of it. Really felt for Bojack the last season as he’s really trying and does well 99% of the time yet all his past stuff is brought up so he’s getting f***ed at every corner.

I think him checking himself back into rehab and it ending with a song showing where everyone else ends up would’ve been much better. Diane in Houston. Todd and the rabbit together. Princess Carolyn and Juda adopting more kids. Hollyhock going to see Bojack in recovery.

That would’ve wrapped things up so much better.
I wanted to like Bojack, but like Walt from Breaking Bad, he had this ending coming for him.

He's just an overall terrible person. It's like what Todd said, "You can't keep doing shitty things and feel bad for yourself like that makes things any better."

Was he making progress towards being better? Perhaps. But part of me thinks he would f*** up again, as usual, and ruin the life of someone like Hollyhock.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
"Free Churro", the one where Bojack makes the eulogy about his mom was the best episode of the series IMO.

The juxtaposition of him pouring his soul into it, while simultaneously cracking those jokes about his mom and then the realization of the ICU comment made it amazing. 25 minutes of pure ecstasy.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I wanted to like Bojack, but like Walt from Breaking Bad, he had this ending coming for him.

He's just an overall terrible person. It's like what Todd said, "You can't keep doing shitty things and feel bad for yourself like that makes things any better."

Was he making progress towards being better? Perhaps. But part of me thinks he would f*** up again, as usual, and ruin the life of someone like Hollyhock.

He stopped f***ing up in the last season though. The alcohol part and his therapist wasn’t really his fault. He had a relapse with the booze but that’s to be expected. Relapse is always part of the process. I’m not saying he was a good person but he definitely did change for the better.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
"Free Churro", the one where Bojack makes the eulogy about his mom was the best episode of the series IMO.

The juxtaposition of him pouring his soul into it, while simultaneously cracking those jokes about his mom and then the realization of the ICU comment made it amazing. 25 minutes of pure ecstasy.

Agreed from a comedic stand point. It’s like they let him have free reign with improvising lines and he just killed it. Definitely one of my favorites.

My favorite overall might’ve been the one where he goes to Michigan in his grandparents’ house though. Such a good story and some hilarious lines as well.

Reactions: Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He stopped f***ing up in the last season though. The alcohol part and his therapist wasn’t really his fault. He had a relapse with the booze but that’s to be expected. Relapse is always part of the process. I’m not saying he was a good person but he definitely did change for the better.
I truly believe if Hollyhock didn't cut him off from his life, he would've found a way to mess up her career somehow. Hell, wasn't it implied she quit rugby because of him?

Implied in this scene as well.

There is no hope for him IMO. After he failed to mend his ties with Herb Kazazz, the idea of of his redemption really went away. He has to live with his long list of shitty behavior towards people that cared about him.

Events such as intentionally sabotaging his best friend's career, leaving Sara Lynn to die, traumatizing HS students with his alcoholic and sexual advances, and the choking incident are simply unforgivable.

The only 'good' ending I see from Bojack is perhaps after he's released from prison, he devotes his life towards the Horseberg church and find inner peace through religion/community or something.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

What I liked about it is that the consequences are lifelong.

Addicts and self-destructive people can cause so much carnage that they aren't forgiven, or their loved ones simply can't accept them back in their lives.

It's something that Bojack Horseman did well and very few (if any) other shows really did effectively.

Even if he wanted to turn over a new leaf, and really committed to it, it wasn't going to be easy because you can't always just escape your past.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I truly believe if Hollyhock didn't cut him off from his life, he would've found a way to mess up her career somehow. Hell, wasn't it implied she quit rugby because of him?

Implied in this scene as well.

There is no hope for him IMO. After he failed to mend his ties with Herb Kazazz, the idea of of his redemption really went away. He has to live with his long list of shitty behavior towards people that cared about him.

Events such as intentionally sabotaging his best friend's career, leaving Sara Lynn to die, traumatizing HS students with his alcoholic and sexual advances, and the choking incident are simply unforgivable.

The only 'good' ending I see from Bojack is perhaps after he's released from prison, he devotes his life towards the Horseberg church and find inner peace through religion/community or something.

Hollyhock knew about the stuff with Penny and her friends. She quit because she couldn’t take knowing anymore + he was being too friendly going to every game and always trying to talk to her. BoJack is trying here but he’s doing too much.

The Herb stuff was season 1 no? I’m talking about the last season. The other stuff is also before the final season.

Im not arguing BoJack is a good person by any means but he clearly changed for the better in the final season. The past stuff continues to hurt him (as it probably should) but if he continues working to change and be better rather than just feeling sorry for himself things will at least be better for him.

I didn’t like the finale because I thought it did a really poor job of capturing this. It seemed to say well you are changing but life is still going to f*** you at every turn and it really doesn’t matter that you became a better person. I think a finale concluding with a message being that you’ll still have to deal with your past mistakes but the change is worth it would’ve been a summary much more in line with how the show was going before that.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
What I liked about it is that the consequences are lifelong.

Addicts and self-destructive people can cause so much carnage that they aren't forgiven, or their loved ones simply can't accept them back in their lives.

It's something that Bojack Horseman did well and very few (if any) other shows really did effectively.

Even if he wanted to turn over a new leaf, and really committed to it, it wasn't going to be easy because you can't always just escape your past.

I don’t have a problem with that message because it’s very true but I also think the finale made it so there was no point to any of Bojack’s changes. All of the therapy, reconnecting with friends, doing kindnesses for them, trying a new profession, etc. etc. was pointless.

I enjoyed the season as a whole but as far as finales go this one felt like all of the plot in the final season before it was pointless.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Im not arguing BoJack is a good person by any means but he clearly changed for the better in the final season. The past stuff continues to hurt him (as it probably should) but if he continues working to change and be better rather than just feeling sorry for himself things will at least be better for him.

I think the show is making a point that approaching the journey of changing oneself in this way (ie it will improve the quality of my life!) is doomed to failure. The show believes that life is a neverending flow of highs and lows, and while obviously some lifestyles have different ratios than others (when initially presented BoJack was nothing but an endless low) you're will still inevitably hit the lows. Even Mr. Peanutbutter, who sleepwalks through life blissfully ignorant of most conflict or hardship because he's a sheltered idiot (and how aggravating that is on every person he knows), can't avoid the hardships inevitable in this crazy experiment that is our lives. By framing your change in this way you won't survive the low points. That's what happens to BoJack in Season 6, his sobriety gives him the single most happiest moment on screen and he has totally earned it. Then he hits a disastrous low point and is unable to survive it without falling off the wagon, attempting suicide and laying the onus of that suicide on the shoulders of his putative best friend, which leads her to cutting him out of her life for good.

Basically, the denial of a reward at the end of Season 6 demonstrates that change should be pursued for its own sake or to be a "good person", not for a goal that is flatly unattainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad