Value of: Bob to PIT at 50% in the off season.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
why would Florida pay Pittsburgh and eat 50%?
Why would Bob take the tax hit and waive his NMC?
Would he actually take a tax hit in that scenario?

If Florida trades him to Pittsburgh and Florida is paying 50% of his salary, wouldn't that 50% still be free from state taxes?

Reactions: Laus723

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Would he actually take a tax hit in that scenario?

If Florida trades him to Pittsburgh and Florida is paying 50% of his salary, wouldn't that 50% still be free from state taxes?

not sure but the other $5M would still be at minimum

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
My understanding is that in this scenario, the entire $ that goes into Bob's bank account would come from the Penguins.

The Panthers would transfer the $ to the Penguins to cover the retained salary in a separate bank transaction.

So I believe he would be 100% taxed as a Pennsylvania resident and not 50-50 between PA and FLA.

I may be wrong though.

Reactions: Fro

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
why would Florida pay Pittsburgh and eat 50%?
Why would Bob take the tax hit and waive his NMC?

If Florida makes it clear he’s not the starter moving forward and he wants to play?

Reactions: Laus723

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Maybe the Pens try and get out of the Petry deal for Bob at 50%?
In what world would this make any sense? Keep 5, to free up 5, but take back 6.5?

What would Pitt look to receive in that scenario? Bob started the season poorly but has played great the last 3-4 games. Though, he still somehow lets 4 slip past him. (One was empty netter last night)

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I really don't think goal tenders are commanding big money anymore. Jarry is probably 5.5 to 6 million AAV to sign with Pens. Bob could be a option if Jarry gets a offer from say the Flames or Avs for more AAV and term. My guess is Pens will sign Jarry and that deal with Bob will go to a team that needs a goalie with term and decent AAV.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
tumblr_nfk4uhUpln1tcw4lfo1_400.gif

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
My understanding is that in this scenario, the entire $ that goes into Bob's bank account would come from the Penguins.

The Panthers would transfer the $ to the Penguins to cover the retained salary in a separate bank transaction.

So I believe he would be 100% taxed as a Pennsylvania resident and not 50-50 between PA and FLA.

I may be wrong though.
From what I understand, players are taxed based on the place they play each game. So, even now, Florida players pay state income taxes in other states, just not for home games. It started with Michael Jordan and California, then other states got in on it.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe the Pens try and get out of the Petry deal for Bob at 50%?

Why would the Penguins be trying to get out of the Petry deal? Petry is really good.

Anyway, the premise here doesn’t make any sense because Bobrovsky won’t waive his NMC. It makes way more sense to just re-sign Jarry over trying to galaxy brain Bobrovsky and getting assets to take him into existence.

Reactions: NeonKnight

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
With how saturated the UFA market will likely be with short term options, why would we spend assets on Bob and help Florida out of that boat anchor of a contract?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Gurgle, what is this? I don’t even…

Bob has been a fine goaltender behind a competent defensive group. I believe he’s be a .910-.915 guy and I’d take that for 3 years at 5 mil over giving Jarry 6+ mil and term.
What would Pitt pay for that much retention?

Nothing. I would not make this deal unless we got assets back, that’s the whole point from PIT’s perspective. To weaponize their cap space next year.
You'd get assets.

Exactly. Recouping a young player and a pick. Something like Luostarinen and a 4th
Or something like Lomberg (I know he isn’t young) and a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad