Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs Wild Unofficial Preseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Well, to be fair, they have been together during the practices. If that magic is back, with O’Reilly in between them…well this team has just become that much deeper. I don’t want to overreact off of a preseason game, but with their past history, we could be looking at a potential steal here with this PTO.

As far as your lines, the only thing I’d change I’d make is swapping Barbie and Kostin’s side, but that’s just a minor gripe
;)

Idk how I messed that one up. Lol

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Would have liked to see more out of Tarasenko tonight. Had one scoring chance on a PP, but that’s about it.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Would have liked to see more out of Tarasenko tonight. Had one scoring chance on a PP, but that’s about it.

He also had a nice, aggressive defensive play. He hit Boldy against the boards, stole the puck, and cleared it. I remember a nice pass, too, but I don't think it turned into anything.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I haven't read through the thread yet, but I was at the game up until 5 min left in the 3rd, so I can give my thoughts on the game/players:

Game was pretty decent. Wild were outshooting the Blues but it didn't feel like the Blues were ever being dominated, save for a few plays where they were hemmed in their own zone. Blues had a good extended shift like that as well and nearly converted on it, and they had plenty of zone pressure as well that led to a few goals. Husso looked SHARP. Read the play very well, gobbled up a lot of pucks, moved really well. I was hoping to see 2 periods from him, but I was pleasantly surprised at his poise in net. Lindgren was ok. There were a few plays where they threw it on net and he gloved it, but it popped out of the glove and the Wild held possession long enough to get the guys tired. One goal was definitely on him as he was either reading the puck wrong, or he didn't squeeze hard and quick enough to keep the puck from finding a small hole. The offense gave Lindgren some confidence though and he was able to build off that later in the game.

Forwards overall were hit or miss. Early in the game there were lots of pucks missing players or hitting Wild players, and I kind of take that as some chemistry issues. Not that there wasn't chemistry, but with half, if not more of the squad being players looking for jobs, you could tell they hadn't played with each other. As the game grew on, they got better obviously. The Thomas, Saad, Tarasenko line was DOMINANT. It was so much fun to see these guys together and they instantly had chemistry. Thomas looks legit guys. I dont know how to qualitatively say that, but he just looked like a different guy. So much poise with and without the puck, looked engaged, and it definitely showed on the scoresheet. Saad was impressive and had a lot of good looks along with his goal, but this line should have had more points. Tarasenko, well what can I say. He looked determined and ready to go, but my god his passing looked uncharacteristically refined, idk how to explain it. He had a lot of give and go's, lots of good passes, and just smart all around. Happy with his performance, but sad that he will likely be gone in 6 months.

Kostin was actually so good and really effective. I try not to watch the bad so much since it's preseason, but I don't remember too many bad times the Barbashev, Kostin, Frolik line had. Kostin had a nice presence on the ice and you could just tell he was a different player. Very much matured and played like he won a cup. Barbashev was quietly good, but aside from his goal, he didn't seem either very good or very bad. Just a good player. Frolik was definitely a player, but I didn't see a whole lot of him. Could have been dwarfed by my Kostin viewings, idk. Bozak was fine, Neighbours was definitely engaged and doing his best to eliminate possession from the Wild, but obviously Neal impressed. He looked like he was motivated to get a contract and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an offer. Clifford was noticeable and not in a bad way, but just playing a good 4th line role. Joshua had a few plays where he could've shot a puck earlier and got a chance, but I thought he was an effective 4th liner tonight. Toropchenko is so damn fast and he used that to his advantage. Had a few nice touches of the puck in the o-zone, but his stick handling still isn't great and that could keep him from finding a job in the NHL. I hope he can work on that A LOT, but he was fine.

And now the defense. Parayko looked like a guy who rehabbed his back to 100%, he was that good. Compared to last year, this dude looked very good, very confident, and definitely healthy. There was a 2 on 0 break for the Wild I believe and Parayko caught up the them to break it up (along with someone else) and that's when I knew that he was healthy. Bortuzzo played a fine, calm game. Jumped up into the play and got back when he needed to. Nothing flashy but he wasn't necessarily an eye sore. Santini was just ok. He definitely had his issues, but I think that was more due to his partner than himself (maybe?). He wasn't great, but the few jumps into play I saw, he looked active. Nothing much to say about him. Walman at times looked pretty good and others he looked a bit overwhelmed. Maybe he didn't feel that way, but his posture kind of had an overwhelmed feeling to it, but he did stand out, so take that as you will. Perunovich looked amazing in the o-zone. His poise with the puck on the blue line is inherent and he will definitely be a great addition when he plays. I don't recall a lot of plays involving him in the d-zone, but he definitely had to be much quicker with his decisions or he would have to throw away the puck. A few things for him to work on, but he definitely looks promising.

And now Galloway. Boy what can I say about this guy. When I first noticed him, he immediately came off the ice, so I made a note to watch him more closely. He definitely has an ability to box guys out, but he probably isn't strong enough to do it well just yet. You could tell his instincts were there to make those plays, but often it would lead to a chance on the net and he would be forced to turn around wondering where the puck went. And then his passing. It's not good and it's not a strong pass either. Idk if it was the nerves, but it felt like I could make harder passes than him and I'm 4 inches shorter and probably 20-30 pounds lighter. He definitely will need to work on that if he wants to make it in the NHL. And then his defense... Well, he looked ok in the first and maybe a bit in the 2nd, but he started to get overwhelmed. Like a lot. He tried to stop a rush because he accidentally pinched too hard and then fell and caused a 2 or 3 on 0, which the Wild scored on. Then he and Santini couldn't figure out (Santini yelled at him pretty loud) who to cover so they bumped into each other and another goal was scored or another chance occurred. After that, they split up that pair and I didn't see him much after that. Defense was not great, passing not great, and he just looked like a scared junior kid so, there's that.

Last edited:

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
If Neal and Perron can rekindle the magic; you can literally put any C on the team with them and have a reliable scoring line. Heck; they made Erik Haula a 55 point scorer.

- On this note; here's an insane thought
roll 4 scoring lines
Kostin-ROR-Kyrou
Buch-Schenn-Vladdy
Saad-Thomas-Bozak
Neal-Barbs-Perron
which of those lines do you put out against a McKinnon line?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Thanks @ezcreepin !!

Galloway is the one I’m interested in the most right now, but something tells me he will not see the ice again in preseason and will be among the first cuts.

His ability to cut off forwards along the boards reminds me of Edmundson. Thanks for commenting on Galloway.

I’ll take special interest in him this season and make the time to watch some of his games with Calgary.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Is Kostin a lock to make the team this season do you guys figure?

Will Perunovich most likely be in the AHL with some callups hopefully?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

I think Kostin is basically a lock to make the team.

Sanford was the only one blocking him from a spot in the lineup after the addition of Bozak, and well, he isn’t here anymore.

Perunovich likely starts in the AHL, unless he absolutely wow’s the team in camp, along with one of Mikkola/Walman/Bortuzzo looking pretty bad.

I think he’s best served getting top pair minutes and experience in Springfield. While at the same time, we get to see what we have in Walman/Mikkola this year.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Thanks @ezcreepin !!

Galloway is the one I’m interested in the most right now, but something tells me he will not see the ice again in preseason and will be among the first cuts.

His ability to cut off forwards along the boards reminds me of Edmundson. Thanks for commenting on Galloway.

I’ll take special interest in him this season and make the time to watch some of his games with Calgary.

Isn’t Galloway like 18. We just drafted him. All kids need to get stronger and a big part of that is stamina. Glad he got a game in, but not sure what fans would expect out of him

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Isn’t Galloway like 18. We just drafted him. All kids need to get stronger and a big part of that is stamina. Glad he got a game in, but not sure what fans would expect out of him
Well, yes. That’s in “duh” category, dude man.

What I expected was to get a glimpse and hopefully more than just one game, but that’s ok.

I’ll get to watch him with Calgary.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

If Kostin plays the way he did in his first preseason game for the rest of camp, I don't see anyway he doesn't make the team. He was confident, made plays, and singlehandedly contributed to Barbashev's goal. He was a difference maker in a good way, and I think the Blues want him up here now. Neal also looks good, but I don't see that knocking Kostin out of the lineup.

Perunovich probably plays in the AHL, but this feels like a case where a player really shines during preseason but there just isn't enough room. I don't think there's any doubt he gets called up, but this is more so seeing how he looks after losing a year of development. They probably want him to get a few games in the minors to get loose, and then they could reevaluate their defense maybe a month or so into the season, assuming guys like Walman and Mikkola take a step back.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If Kostin plays the way he did in his first preseason game for the rest of camp, I don't see anyway he doesn't make the team. He was confident, made plays, and singlehandedly contributed to Barbashev's goal. He was a difference maker in a good way, and I think the Blues want him up here now. Neal also looks good, but I don't see that knocking Kostin out of the lineup.

Perunovich probably plays in the AHL, but this feels like a case where a player really shines during preseason but there just isn't enough room. I don't think there's any doubt he gets called up, but this is more so seeing how he looks after losing a year of development. They probably want him to get a few games in the minors to get loose, and then they could reevaluate their defense maybe a month or so into the season, assuming guys like Walman and Mikkola take a step back.
If they think Perunovich is ready, they ain't gonna send him to AHL to play Mikkola or Walman.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
If they think Perunovich is ready, they ain't gonna send him to AHL to play Mikkola or Walman.
I mean I made a caveat that if Walman and Mikkola regressed, then he'd be up. Perunovich can simultaneously look good in preseason and also not play in the NHL. It's happened to multiple players of ours like Fabbri (injury), Thomas (injury), pretty sure Barbashev played well and was deferred to the AHL. Didn't Thompson look good too and was sent down the AHL for a bit then recalled? They aren't going to have Perunovich up unless they're convinced he will play, and when Mikkola and Walman get the benefit of the doubt, that will limit the chances for Perunovich to get in. I'll gladly eat my shorts on this one.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I mean I made a caveat that if Walman and Mikkola regressed, then he'd be up. Perunovich can simultaneously look good in preseason and also not play in the NHL. It's happened to multiple players of ours like Fabbri (injury), Thomas (injury), pretty sure Barbashev played well and was deferred to the AHL. Didn't Thompson look good too and was sent down the AHL for a bit then recalled? They aren't going to have Perunovich up unless they're convinced he will play, and when Mikkola and Walman get the benefit of the doubt, that will limit the chances for Perunovich to get in. I'll gladly eat my shorts on this one.
Obviously injuries could change things, but my point is that whether Perunovich makes club is based solely on how they judge his readiness. Club views him as big part of future, while they view Walman and Mikkola as filler. Nothing either of them do is likely to keep Perunovich down; if he is sent down it's bc club views it as best for his development or that he isn't ready to keep up at NHL level yet.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Obviously injuries could change things, but my point is that whether Perunovich makes club is based solely on how they judge his readiness. Club views him as big part of future, while they view Walman and Mikkola as filler. Nothing either of them do is likely to keep Perunovich down; if he is sent down it's bc club views it as best for his development or that he isn't ready to keep up at NHL level yet.
Sure I'd agree with that opinion overall, though I believe that the Blues view the AHL as best for his development unless he has an unreal preseason. I would disagree, however, that Walman and Mikkola aren't keeping him from the big club. I think they have longer leashes than they have trust in Perunovich, if that makes sense. For example, it would take both Walman and Mikkola getting hurt or being bottom pair AHL level defenseman plus Perunovich outplaying them offensively and being a steady d-partner. Personally, I think they wouldn't even have him as a 7th defenseman because they want him playing plenty of meaningful minutes (a Kostin/Kyrou situation previously). If you disagree with how they view him/will view him after preseason, then that's something we'll just have to disagree about, which is fine.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sure I'd agree with that opinion overall, though I believe that the Blues view the AHL as best for his development unless he has an unreal preseason. I would disagree, however, that Walman and Mikkola aren't keeping him from the big club. I think they have longer leashes than they have trust in Perunovich, if that makes sense. For example, it would take both Walman and Mikkola getting hurt or being bottom pair AHL level defenseman plus Perunovich outplaying them offensively and being a steady d-partner. Personally, I think they wouldn't even have him as a 7th defenseman because they want him playing plenty of meaningful minutes (a Kostin/Kyrou situation previously). If you disagree with how they view him/will view him after preseason, then that's something we'll just have to disagree about, which is fine.
I think where we disagree is more about how the club views Walman and Mikkola, neither of which I think they view particularly highly at this point. One of them will play if club doesn't think Perunovich is ready, but they are only keeping seat warm.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think where we disagree is more about how the club views Walman and Mikkola, neither of which I think they view particularly highly at this point. One of them will play if club doesn't think Perunovich is ready, but they are only keeping seat warm.
As much as I like Mikkola, this is where he’s at. Do or be demoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad