Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs Wild Unofficial Preseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
The bad-
- Rough night for Galloway. Ran into his own players twice.
- Soft first goal given up by Lindgren. Rebounded a bit afterwards but that goal shouldn't go in.
- The overall defense was fairly shaky.

The good:
- Saad/Thomas could be beastly. They really seem to click.
- Heck of a game from Neal. You can tell the guy wants a job.
- Kostin causing a lot of good havoc out there. Might not have gotten an assist on the last goal but he deserved one.
- Barb's and Joshua were humming all night.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Can we even sign Neal?????

Seriously doubt it.

If he is cheaper than the guy we send down,then we can. If we sign him to $650k, let's say, it actually helps our salary cap. Most likely he'd sign for cheap enough. Not many guys on a PTO are looking for millions, although Hoffman was. The only thing that would prevent us from signing him at under 900k is if we were at our internal budge. Players sent to the minors under a million don't count against the cap, but they do count against internal budgets. Anyway, we have the contract slot and would have the cap space by sending MacMac, Kostin, or Clifford down. So yes, we can most likely sign him.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Kerber brought up the point in the postgame about the Saad Thomas combination, that Saad has spent time with highly skilled players ( Toews, Kane, Mackinnon). This is the type thing that Thomas needs, someone who is used to having that guy that will make the creative unexpected play, but being able to know that play is more likely coming and to be ready for it. These two could have a huge year if this isn't just a flash in the pan.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If he is cheaper than the guy we send down,then we can. If we sign him to $650k, let's say, it actually helps our salary cap. Most likely he'd sign for cheap enough. Not many guys on a PTO are looking for millions, although Hoffman was. The only thing that would prevent us from signing him at under 900k is if we were at our internal budge. Players sent to the minors under a million don't count against the cap, but they do count against internal budgets. Anyway, we have the contract slot and would have the cap space by sending MacMac, Kostin, or Clifford down. So yes, we can most likely sign him.
I think we should. If 3 of our top 6 guys get injured, we’ll be happy to have that depth.

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
Only got to watch the 3rd but really liked what I saw out of Walman, Kostin, Thomas and Neal.

Would like to sign Neal if possible. I think he could be a surprise this year and have a lot of success. A friend of mine who knows him said he was working out like crazy to get in shape for this season. No idea how true it is but always a good thing to hear.

Also always been intrigued by Torp. Think he could be a great option in a year or two as a bottom 6 guy.

Also big fan of Joshua's from last year would love to see him make the roster since he is young and effective. Maybe expose some of the older guys with zero potential so there is less risk of losing them.

Send Clifford and Macmac down, sign Neal and keep him, Brown and Joshua on the roster to protect them from waivers?.... just an idea but will be interesting for sure.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Kostin is going nowhere

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
We can. Just depends on if the Blues want to send anyone down. *cough* Clifford *cough*

I always liked when Neal was playing in Vegas with Perron. He didn't do well in Calgary and I think Edmonton these last few seasons. He's a goal scorer and a gamer.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Goofy circus moments are going to happen for kids, especially later in the game. I really liked what I saw from him for a guy who was just drafted in the 5th round.

He definitely has some upside and showed it a few times, but he had a some rough shifts tonight and didn't seem to mesh with Santini at all. It's to be expected with an 18 year old, but he's definitely a few steps behind our other D men.

STLegend

Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon
Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
No doubt. He could be easily score 25g if he shot more. 25g 50a type of player

I am also excited for the start of another season, but unless Thomas has drastically changed his shot he isn't going to score 25. He has a fairly weak shot and scores his goals with changing the angle and catching goalies off guard. Not sure there is a single goalie in the NHL he could beat cleanly.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Perron-RoR-Neal
Buch-Schenn-Kyrou
Saad-Thomas-Tarasenko
Kostin-Bozak-Barbie

Mainly joking. But if we signed Neal and him and Perron reignite some Vegas magic.

If Neal and Perron can rekindle the magic; you can literally put any C on the team with them and have a reliable scoring line. Heck; they made Erik Haula a 55 point scorer.

- On this note; here's an insane thought
roll 4 scoring lines
Kostin-ROR-Kyrou
Buch-Schenn-Vladdy
Saad-Thomas-Bozak
Neal-Barbs-Perron

Last edited:

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He definitely has some upside and showed it a few times, but he had a some rough shifts tonight and didn't seem to mesh with Santini at all. It's to be expected with an 18 year old, but he's definitely a few steps behind our other D men.
From the highlights it looked like Santini did him no favors on either of the 2 goals.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Im honestly starting to become more ok with the Blues signing Neal as a secondary scoring and 2PP threat. As long as it's a manageable cap hit.

After hearing he had Covid last year was the main reason for his tough year, I’d agree. He could be a really good signing. I’m warming up to it.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
After hearing he had Covid last year was the main reason for his tough year, I’d agree. He could be a really good signing. I’m warming up to it.
He's also only 2 years removed from 19 goals in 55 games (28 goal pace). With Sunny starting the year on the LTIR. We could definitely do worse with our cap space. His only bad years were the year he had Covid, and his year in Calgary. 19 goals and 31 points in 55 games really isn't terrible.

Reactions: Mike Liut

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Perron-RoR-Neal
Buch-Schenn-Kyrou
Saad-Thomas-Tarasenko
Kostin-Bozak-Barbie

Mainly joking. But if we signed Neal and him and Perron reignite some Vegas magic.

Well, to be fair, they have been together during the practices. If that magic is back, with O’Reilly in between them…well this team has just become that much deeper. I don’t want to overreact off of a preseason game, but with their past history, we could be looking at a potential steal here with this PTO.

As far as your lines, the only thing I’d change I’d make is swapping Barbie and Kostin’s side, but that’s just a minor gripe ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad