Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Shorks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
That stat about being the first Blues goalie to win his NHL debut in a long time is just wrong, correct? Didn’t Binnington and Allen both win in their debut? Binner had a shutout didn’t he?
They won their debut starts but not their debut games.

Both allen and binny debuted in relief appearences where the starting goalie was chased and the blues lost.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Really liked Mikkola's game. Offensiveline shooting, carrying puck, crisp passes, heavy hits. That hit on 3rd period on 10min mark vs. Couture was superB. Love it.

Hopefully when ROR is back Buch - Kyrou are back together.

Great to see Hofer get his first win and he really put clinic on right away when game started. Promising goaltender prospect we have.

Saad might become my one of the favourite Blues. He is such a beast with puck, can protect it so well and has leathal shot and never give up 1on1 battles.

Code:
Saad (15:38) - Schenn (6:57) - Perron (18:53)
Kyrou (15:35) - Thomas (21:42) - Tarasenko (18:53)
Kostin (8:14) - Barbashev (18:39) - Buchnevich (19:10)
Neighbours (9:22) - Bozak (13:30) - Neal (11:45)

Scandella (20:48) - Parayko (19:30)
Krug (22:41) - Faulk (24:22)
Walman (13:06) - Mikkola (11:57)

Hofer

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
That stat about being the first Blues goalie to win his NHL debut in a long time is just wrong, correct? Didn’t Binnington and Allen both win in their debut? Binner had a shutout didn’t he?
Allen made his debut in the 2011-2012 playoffs vs the Kings for like a minute so Hitchcock didn’t have to use a timeout and switched Elliott back in.

Binnington made his debut in a relief appearance, I believe, in 2016 before coming back up in 2019

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Re-watching the Sharks goals, Hofer was beat 5 hole twice-first goal Hofer's leg pad actually skimmed the puck and it went under.

Couture scored on a breakaway short handed attempted due to Kyrou making a terrible pass and Faulk misplaying the puck, so I can't fault him too much for that.

Third goal was a deflection that went 5 hole.

So of those 3, I really think the only goal that we could be somewhat disappointed in Hofer for is the first one. The other 2 would have been really, really hard to make.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I thought we dominated last 2 periods. We had numerous point blank shots we failed to covert. Thomas had like 3 and tank at least 1 that were highway robbery.

They had by far the better possession and chances in the second, but we got some quick conversions on the counterattack to keep us in it and give us the lead. We tightened up once we had the lead which is good, but the hockey we've played all year has been leaning heavily on our goaltending and insanely high shooting percentage, especially from distance (The Saad one to tie from tonight, but also basically all of Perron's goals so far too). Unless this is one of the best pure shooting teams in history, that's going to dry up at some point and we're going to start getting exposed.

Last edited:

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
They had by far the better possession and chances in the second, but we got some quick conversions on the counterattack to keep us in it and give us the lead. We tightened up once we had the lead which is good, but the hockey we've played all year has been leaning heavily on our goaltending and insanely high shooting percentage, especially from distance (The Saad one to tie from tonight, but also basically all of Perron's goals so far too). Unless this is one of the best pure shooting teams in history, that's going to dry up at some point and we're going to start getting exposed.

This is way off. Entering the season the Blues clearly had a lethal group of forwards top to bottom...like clearly a top 5 offense. I don't give two shits about early season shooting percentage trends. I am not at all concerned about our ability to score goals this season.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
This is way off. Entering the season the Blues clearly had a lethal group of forwards top to bottom...like clearly a top 5 offense. I don't give two shits about early season shooting percentage trends. I am not at all concerned about our ability to score goals this season.

It's not about the number, it's about how they're scored. Consistently getting the better of possession and chances it would be one thing, but we're not. Every year there are mediocre teams that get off to hot starts that fade by mid/end year because they got propped up by opportunistic scoring and good goaltending that doesn't last. Given how rarely we've outright dominated play this season I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned that we might be part of that group as opposed to the elite teams our record may show.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
It's not about the number, it's about how they're scored. Consistently getting the better of possession and chances it would be one thing, but we're not. Every year there are mediocre teams that get off to hot starts that fade by mid/end year because they got propped up by opportunistic scoring and good goaltending that doesn't last. Given how rarely we've outright dominated play this season I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned that we might be part of that group as opposed to the elite teams our record may show.
I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to be optimistic about the team’s play moving forward as it has missed ROR, Saad, and Buchnevich for stretches of time already with less than 10 games played as well as just winning on the road with a goalie who made his debut.

Lot of hockey to be played.

Reactions: Thallis

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006

Well, we'll agree to disagree on that front. You have to admit this lineup is very dynamic offensively. I thought that heading into the season even with the questions surrounding Tarasenko's health and the hot start has only reinforced my opinion.

Puck Luck

Jan 13, 2021
Re-watching the Sharks goals, Hofer was beat 5 hole twice-first goal Hofer's leg pad actually skimmed the puck and it went under.

Couture scored on a breakaway short handed attempted due to Kyrou making a terrible pass and Faulk misplaying the puck, so I can't fault him too much for that.

Third goal was a deflection that went 5 hole.

So of those 3, I really think the only goal that we could be somewhat disappointed in Hofer for is the first one. The other 2 would have been really, really hard to make.
wasn't he screened on that first one? and shorthanded?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The game was exciting to watch, but it wasn't good hockey for long stretches. San Jose was missing something like 7 guys? I don't think this game was very reflective of where that team actually is this year. It would have been a huge lost opportunity to miss the 2 points there. If not for a rookie goalie making his first start, this game might have been kind of frustrating to watch. As it was, it looked like a preseason scrimmage at times. I'm just glad to get the two points. Hopefully Schenn's issue is more related to getting banged up in the prior game and he'll just need a few days to get over some soreness or something.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wasn't able to watch much, but a win with your 3rd string goalie and one of your top centers getting hurt is nice to have. Hopefully Schenn isn't out long, and that Thomas continues to step up. Like other young centers, Thomas is improve in the faceoff circle, a big weakness in previous seasons.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ivan Barbashev is good at hockey.

Who was it that said Barbashev was the very definition of replacement-level player? Someone was absolutely harping on that all off-season. Its early, but I sure hope they are enjoying their crow. 7 pts in 9 games (63 point pace) and leading the team in +/-, plus being the top forward in ice time on the NHL's #2 PK team. You could absolutely not ask more of a replacement level player through 9 games :sarcasm: Again its early, but he will keep getting good opportunities if he keeps playing like this.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Who was it that said Barbashev was the very definition of replacement-level player? Someone was absolutely harping on that all off-season. Its early, but I sure hope they are enjoying their crow. 7 pts in 9 games (63 point pace) and leading the team in +/-, plus being the top forward in ice time on the NHL's #2 PK team. You could absolutely not ask more of a replacement level player through 9 games :sarcasm: Again its early, but he will keep getting good opportunities if he keeps playing like this.
He's been good this year.
But his past performance has been just 'fine', if not underwhelming. Nothing prior to this year has suggested that he's deserved more than a bottom-6 role, or that he'd perform any better than average while in that role. An average performance in a 4th line role, which is about what he's provided to this point in his career, is pretty much the very definition of replacement-level. Not sure why anyone would take exception for calling a spade a spade. He's performed at greater-than-replacement level to this point; so kudos to him. Hope he keeps it up.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Depends on who you replace him with :sarcasm::laugh:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Me. His offense has been way, way better than previous years so far this season. His defense still kinda sucks though.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He's been good this year.
But his past performance has been just 'fine', if not underwhelming. Nothing prior to this year has suggested that he's deserved more than a bottom-6 role, or that he'd perform any better than average while in that role. An average performance in a 4th line role, which is about what he's provided to this point in his career, is pretty much the very definition of replacement-level. Not sure why anyone would take exception for calling a spade a spade. He's performed at greater-than-replacement level to this point; so kudos to him. Hope he keeps it up.

His past performance was dictated by being put in a primarily defensive role with at least one offensive boat anchor. We have never been deep and/or healthy enough that Barbashev didn't have a Clifford or MacMac on his line beofre this year. He was always the secondary defensive line. RoR got the other team's best line and Barby/Sunny got the defensive zone starts against the 2nd line. He is 7th lowest Ozone start amongst Blues from 17/18 to 20/21 (at least 200 min). He is amongst guys like Torburn, Brodziak, Upshall, Jaskin. He gets the deployment of a 4th liner. But there is a reason he is paid really well for a 4th liner, because he produces better than those guys despite his role.

This year, he is getting top 9 deployment. Partially because of how deep we are. We can actually role 4 top 9 lines, but also because he clicked on the line with Tarasenko. He is for the first time ever, getting more O-zone starts than D-zone starts, having 2 competent offensive guys on his line, and getting a sliver of PP time. In the past 9 games, Barbashev already has 25% as much PP time as he had the previous 3 years. He is producing now because of he is getting the opportunities to now. Its not that suddenly he took a giant leap forward in skill at 25.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
His past performance was dictated by being put in a primarily defensive role with at least one offensive boat anchor. We have never been deep and/or healthy enough that Barbashev didn't have a Clifford or MacMac on his line beofre this year. He was always the secondary defensive line. RoR got the other team's best line and Barby/Sunny got the defensive zone starts against the 2nd line. He is 7th lowest Ozone start amongst Blues from 17/18 to 20/21 (at least 200 min). He is amongst guys like Torburn, Brodziak, Upshall, Jaskin. He gets the deployment of a 4th liner. But there is a reason he is paid really well for a 4th liner, because he produces better than those guys despite his role.

This year, he is getting top 9 deployment. Partially because of how deep we are. We can actually role 4 top 9 lines, but also because he clicked on the line with Tarasenko. He is for the first time ever, getting more O-zone starts than D-zone starts, having 2 competent offensive guys on his line, and getting a sliver of PP time. In the past 9 games, Barbashev already has 25% as much PP time as he had the previous 3 years. He is producing now because of he is getting the opportunities to now. Its not that suddenly he took a giant leap forward in skill at 25.

He got his share with ROR and Perron last year, didn't even come close to this level performance, and was replaced by Sanford again. It's not just the production this season, he's been actually creating offense. We'll see if it keeps up.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Me. His offense has been way, way better than previous years so far this season. His defense still kinda sucks though.

Awww, that's mildly dissapointing. I've been enjoying your posts so far this season. I need to willfully block out that particularly bad opinion again :laugh::sarcasm:

Seriously though, by what metric are you saying he has been bad defensively? He is giving up Corsi/Fenwick/Shots, but that is because his line is playing a more free-wheeling game with Tarasenko. Taresenko has cheated a good bit to produce offense. And Barbashev has been holding the fort down. He is 3rd best on the team in GA/60 despite getting caved a bit on shots. That might be do to a unsustainable save percentage, but it also could be due to limiting good scoring chances. Time will tell on that. My eye test hasn't shown any bad plays by him, and several good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad