GDT: Blues vs. Blackhawks| Long Time No See| 7pm, BSMW|

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I still think Krug is the odd duck.
He doesn’t add much of anything 5v5. His breakouts are meh. His offensive production there is meh. His defense is poor. He is a PP player. He should be on our third pairing.

The problem moving forward is Perunovich is a similar player, albeit more dynamic 5v5. We still don’t know what he can do against bigger and faster competition, but I would wager that he can be a Dunn level player or better offensively.

We still clearly need a LHD upgrade.

Last night was a case in point. Our D was making terrible mistakes in the D zone, similar to the rest of our games this season.

For this season I would prefer to add someone to Parayko’s pairing. Ideally someone who can play D and move the puck.

Scandella can slot down to play with Faulk, so Faulk doesn’t have to cover for his partner so much.

Krug moves down to play with Bortz or whatever the rotating cast for RHD 3P end up being.
We can't afford to play 6.5mill.$ AAV dmen at 3rd d-pair.

Well we can, but that is such a money waste.

Reactions: BlueMed

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Faulk is consistently our best D man.
He made several great plays last night. I counted at least five great plays by Faulk, mostly of the stick-wielding variety.

I've also enjoyed watching Klim Kostin. He's surprising the hell out of me. While he's been "just good", imo, his performance has exceeded my expectations. He made a great play to get back and break up a play. Good stick work.
I'd like to see Kostin on the 4th line for a while and see how he handles it. I understand that he was there last night cuz ROR and the trickle down effect of that.

Glad Neighbours sat. He needs a break. He's kinda slow. I don't like his skating style and hope he can improve that, but he certainly knows where to be. The hockey IQ is definitely strong with this one, but his wheels need work. I'm indifferent toward keeping Jake on the roster or sending him back to juniors. I think there are valid attractions for either direction.

But last night? Faulk was our best player by far.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm also to the point where I don't think Walman will ever be a NHL Defenseman. BUT I do think he can make it as a winger. He has the speed and offensive skills.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I'm sadly starting to agree. I'd rather have Santini up.
Ditto. Almost the same words I wanted to use. Thanks. Mikkola looked so promising out of the draft, but couldn't amp up his great skating ability with a powerful stride. Apparently, he has not worked on his core/leg strength and his his decision-making is strange at times.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don’t see any offensive skills. He skates well and has a hard shot that is slow to get off and seems to always hit goalie chest.
Another big issue is it feels like the only Chemistry Walman has is with Kyrou. And that's not a very promising thing.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Folks are too hard on Krug. He is like Shatty was, great on pp and average at even strength. Not bad, just not at level of Faulk or Parayko. It’s taken some time fir coaching staff to get full read on our D bc Parayko and Scandella were basically hurt all year.

We can run 2 very good balanced pairs if we put Krug with Parayko and Scandella with Faulk or we can go more offense/defense if we have Krug with Faulk. The latter scenario works with Parayko Scandella getting all the tough assignments, while the first scenario we would play straight and not matchup as much.

the issue to me is we need to shield 3rd pair. Borts has slipped, Walman is marginal, and Mikkola is not an NHLer.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Folks are too hard on Krug. He is like Shatty was, great on pp and average at even strength. Not bad, just not at level of Faulk or Parayko. It’s taken some time fir coaching staff to get full read on our D bc Parayko and Scandella were basically hurt all year.

We can run 2 very good balanced pairs if we put Krug with Parayko and Scandella with Faulk or we can go more offense/defense if we have Krug with Faulk. The latter scenario works with Parayko Scandella getting all the tough assignments, while the first scenario we would play straight and not matchup as much.

the issue to me is we need to shield 3rd pair. Borts has slipped, Walman is marginal, and Mikkola is not an NHLer.

Agree completely. Mikkola only played like 9 minutes last night, I'm guessing because Berube doesn't trust him in a close game and Walman didn't play much more than that. We can't rely so heavily on our top 4 like this all season, they will get hurt, worn out or both.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
We haven’t been giving Barbie and Thomas enough props this year. Everyone’s been praising Tank, but those other 2 been great.
It's almost like Barbie and RT are sharing center duties on that line as the play develops. Both are skating well, but RT has to be better in his o-zone decision-making. 49 has been a disruptive force on that line.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
A reminder: Cale Makar-lite is just hanging out in our minor league system.

:nod:

This team will be fun to watch when everyone is healthy and we call up Perunovich.

Yep, I'm on the Perunovich hype-train. :yo:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Bring up Perunovich.

LD solved.

A reminder: Cale Makar-lite is just hanging out in our minor league system.

:nod:

This team will be fun to watch when everyone is healthy and we call up Perunovich.

Yep, I'm on the Perunovich hype-train. :yo:

Perunovich plays the right side almost exclusively. He could learn to play LD, obviously, but it would be a bit of an adjustment. He would already be adjusting to the NHL game. Having him adjust to a new side would be an added layer of difficulty.

Also, he is a very, very, very lite version of Makar. Makar is bigger ( a little bit), stronger, faster, smarter, a better shot, better passer, better defensive instincts, etc. Just because both are sub 6 foot offensive D-men who rely on skating doesn't mean Perunovich will have anywhere near the success Makar has. Makar is so far ahead of Perunovich, there is no point in even mentioning them as comparables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad