Blues Trade Proposals 2021-2022 Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think I could live with it if we moved Scandella and a 2nd for Chairot. I don’t necessarily think he’s all that much better to be honest. But, it gives us a different look with Parayko that may be beneficial and gets us out of the term on Scandellas deal. Not entirely thrilled about the idea but it seems like a pretty low risk move that could be fruitful.

I’m interested to see what Giordano looks like tonight. Chychrun is by far the most logical option for us given where we’re currently at, I just don’t know if we could win that bidding war.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm not nearly as impressed with Chiarot as it seems most of the league is. He logged big minutes for Montreal in their Cup run, but I thought that there defensive success was about 80% Price bringing his A+ game. He might be worth a 1st from a team that is acquiring him to add him to their group as a #4/5 D man. When I say add, I mean that you slot him into that role and the rest of the group stays in the organization but slides down the depth chart. That is not the situation we are in. We'd be looking to make him a clear #4 AND we would be removing our current #4/5 D from the roster to fit in the cap. There is a big difference because adding him would (in theory) upgrade two pairs by sliding a middle pair guy down to the 3rd pair.

he might be worth a 1st for someone, but I don't think he is worth a 1st to us considering what we would have to give up to fit in the contract.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I think it's all about whether another team offers up a blue chip prospect Bill Armstrong covets. The #1 weakness in the Blues offer is other teams' best piece can probably beat Blues' best piece which feels like Neighbors at the moment. Neighbors is likely to be a valuable top six forward to complement the #1C star centers he's about to draft. Armstrong confidently picked him. Moreover, the Blues can offer quantity as well as any serious bidder. So another team has to beat that top prospect in quality or else tie goes to the Blues. I don't know how desperate other teams are. LA and Anaheim would still seem to need their top prospects more than we need Neighbors.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think it's all about whether another team offers up a blue chip prospect Bill Armstrong covets. The #1 weakness in the Blues offer is other teams' best piece can probably beat Blues' best piece which feels like Neighbors at the moment. Neighbors is likely to be a valuable top six forward to complement the #1C star centers he's about to draft. Armstrong confidently picked him. Moreover, the Blues can offer quantity as well as any serious bidder. So another team has to beat that top prospect in quality or else tie goes to the Blues. I don't know how desperate other teams are. LA and Anaheim would still seem to need their top prospects more than we need Neighbors.
BA didn’t pick him. He was gone before draft.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
BA didn’t pick him. He was gone before draft.
While he was gone before the 2020 NHL Draft, I would be surprised if the Blues drafting that year wasn't in some way shaped by the work he had done for the Blues prior to accepting his new position.

The two guys I really think Bill Armstrong would salivate over the most are Hofer and Perunovich.

I can't get the interview to play but he was elated to draft Perunovich. Maybe someone else will have better luck with getting this video to play.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
While he was gone before the 2020 NHL Draft, I would be surprised if the Blues drafting that year wasn't in some way shaped by the work he had done for the Blues prior to accepting his new position.

The two guys I really think Bill Armstrong would salivate over the most are Hofer and Perunovich.

I can't get the interview to play but he was elated to draft Perunovich. Maybe someone else will have better luck with getting this video to play.

i agree. BA would have had large input into board but perhaps less emotional attachment than with guy like Peru that he actually picked.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I haven't been keeping up with the trade talk 'round these parts, so maybe the issue of Chiarot has been covered (I know the latest talk is Chychrun-centric). Forgive me if this is beating a dead horse.

But the talk of the Blues giving up anything significant for that guy is spooky. Feast your eyes on the latest highlights:

Four spots in particular. His play on the second and third Boston goals (2:13 and 2:59 in the video) and then his play on Boston's chances around the 11 minute mark and 9 minute mark of the 3rd period (6:53 and 7:52).

I only caught these highlights, but I have watched several Montreal games this season because a family friend is a Canadiens fan, and this has been a nightly thing for Chiarot in the games I've watched since the beginning of the season. So it's not just like he recently decided not to care because of their bad season and he expects to be traded. No, he's been playing like this from the beginning of the season and it's one of the reasons they're bad.

The dude's play is dogshit and I wouldn't even want to trade a third rounder for him, let alone the first rounder talk I've seen. Maybe he'd look different on a different team, but if the Blues acquire him, I'll be shocked if he's better than Scandella or Mikkola.

Damn dude! That's harsh. Admittedly, I know exactly jack shit about Chiarot, so I'll defer to others.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I was asking if Scandella would have standalone trade value to a different team. I don't have a specific team or return in mind, or a proposal to suggest.
Oh, ok. That's cool.

I finally felt like looking for the post, but couldn't find it. No big deal.

Personally, I wish I could help think through trade proposals, but I kinda suck at them.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
It seems like people are projecting some sort of emotional attachment on to BA over players he picked
I doubt that is actually the case, and if it is he won't be a GM for very long
he may have familiarity with those players he drafted here, but he is going to have similar levels of familiarity with players drafted by other organizations that he heavily scouted before their drafts
What he does have is good working relationships, and long conversations about different players, with others in the Blues front office, which may make it easier to agree on value in a trade

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I don't think I've really given my thoughts.

I absolutely would love Chychrun he would be the #1 defenseman that we are missing. I still think it's a pipe dream though. I'm also concerned about his health. He is only 23 and has already had 2 knee surgeries on both knees IIRC and another surgery if I'm not mistaken. Yeah I'm not sure as I said I'd would love him but his health concerns me.

Chairot. I don't think he is good as he was. Some of us don't like Scandella, we definitely won't like Chairot if we don't like Scandella. I would stay clear.

I think that's it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The thought process isn't that he's emotionally tied to them, it's that they likely fit a specific style he wants to implement in Arizona or they have traits he values highly. I could easily see a scenario where he'd like our package more because we offer multiple pieces that fits what he wants in prospects, as opposed to just taking a higher tiered prospect that might not be as aligned with his style. With the amount of picks they have, I could see them preferring to focus on the higher end guys with their own picks, with Neighbours/Perunovich/Hofer/etc. filling important roles as the secondary pieces in their next core.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think I've really given my thoughts.

I absolutely would love Chychrun he would be the #1 defenseman that we are missing. I still think it's a pipe dream though. I'm also concerned about his health. He is only 23 and has already had 2 knee surgeries on both knees IIRC and another surgery if I'm not mistaken. Yeah I'm not sure as I said I'd would love him but his health concerns me.

Chairot. I don't think he is good as he was. Some of us don't like Scandella, we definitely won't like Chairot if we don't like Scandella. I would stay clear.

I think that's it.
I think it was Biz that said he's had 4 knee surgeries. I know an ACL was on one and a meniscus was on the other.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Mikkola is starting only 27.38% of his 5v5 zone starts in the offensive zone (OZS) this season, which is the lowest in the league. Only two other dmen (100+ mins) have under 30% OZS in the entire league: Scandella, and Andrew Peeke in CBJ. There is only one player in the league under 40% OZS that has a CA60rel under 0 (excellent at preventing shots against) and CF60rel (positive shot impacts for): Erik Cernak from TBL. So, you mostly expect your defensive dmen to get caved in a little bit.

With that in mind, Mikkola has had excellent defensive impacts: 0.68 CA60rel to Parayko's 8.67 and Scandella's 10.04. Only two players in the top 10 fewest OZS have negative CA60rel: Nick Meloche from SJ, and Andrew Peeke (again). Both are righties. Anton Stralman (ARI), Nick Jensen (WSH), and Cernak are the only other 3 below 40% OZS that have negative CA60rel. Mikkola is by far the next closest to being in the negatives. He's been really good 5v5.

With that in mind, let's talk about Chychrun. He's at 44% OZS, and has been having excellent results: -2.56 CA60rel, and 4.00 CF60rel. If he came here, would he be able to replicate that with even fewer OZS than he's been getting in ARI? I'd bet he could. He really is a true #1 LHD in terms of on-ice impacts.

Others that are interesting in the 40-45% range are Adam Pelech (NYI), Ivan Provorov (PHI), and Travis Sanheim (PHI). Everyone else is more or less a lateral move. So, if we are in the market for a LHD, it should between those 3 and Chychrun. My personal preference is Sanheim. But I thought it was important to look at what all of the options are, and really try to do an apples-to-apples comparison for the role we are trying to fill.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Pelech won't be moved. Philly is a team that is looking like they need to make some sort of move, whether around the deadline or in the summer, and could see either of those 2 being moved. I was hopeful of a trade with Philly because I figured they'd be very interested in Tarasenko and based on their scoring troubles, that turned out to be true, but Tarasenko has been performing at a level where we just won't trade him until the summer. A summer deal where we get one of their LD and we give Tarasenko would be nice.

And for the zone starts, depending on what moves we make and what comes of Perunovich and who are best 6 defenders left are, that'll have a pretty big impact on usage. Perunovich is getting heavily sheltered with almost 80% offensive zone starts. If we get Chychrun, is Perunovich still on the team or is he in that trade? If he's on the team, is he still apart of the best 6 or would we go heavy on the 3rd pair with Mikkola/Bort? Perunovich getting to a point where he doesn't have to be sheltered to that extreme will be a big boost to the Parayko pair.

Last edited:
Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Pelech won't be moved. Philly is a team that is looking like they need to make some sort of move, whether around the deadline or in the summer, and could see either of those 2 being moved. I was hopeful of a trade with Philly because I figured they'd be very interested in Tarasenko and based on their scoring troubles, that turned out to be true, but Tarasenko has been performing at a level where we just won't trade him until the summer. A summer deal where we get one of their LD and we give Tarasenko would be nice.

And for the zone starts, depending on what moves we make and what comes of Perunovich and who are best 6 defenders left are, that'll have a pretty big impact on usage. Perunovich is getting heavily sheltered with almost 80% offensive zone starts. If we get Chychrun, is Perunovich still on the team or is he in that trade? If he's on the team, is he still apart of the best 6 or would we go heavy on the 3rd pair with Mikkola/Bort? Perunovich getting to a point where he doesn't have to be sheltered to that extreme will be a big boost to the Parayko pair.

Yep, he gets the most favorable 5v5 deployment in the league (by almost 10%) and is still getting caved in defensively somehow. Not exactly the ROTY-caliber season I was hoping for. He isn’t the answer right now. In another season who knows. But probably not if he’s stuck behind Krug, Mikkola, and somebody else we potentially bring in

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's not projecting an emotional attachment. It's saying that he has positively differentiated these players once. Quite obviously, time has passed since those drafts so there have been prospect risers and fallers all over the league. Which is why it hasn't been a drum beating thing. More of a tie goes to us thing.

Before the links to the Blues really heated up, bleedblue suggested that this could cut either way; possibly BA knows the flaws of our prospects too well to take them. However, the reporting that there have been talks between Armstrongs on us buying Chychrun suggests BA's still happy with the progress of at least some guys he chose and may want them. That's the basis of my confidence in tie going to us.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Husso to Edmonton! What do we want in return?
A conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if Husso leads Edmonton past the Blues in the playoffs. Kidding aside, Blues probably have the organizational goaltender depth to make this move but it would need to make sense for the Blues to do it.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Husso to Edmonton! What do we want in return?
Something we would have to say yes to. Husso is valuable to the Blues this season, no matter what happens going forward. This is an important season to have a trusted backup. He's not completely unavailable but it would have to be a 1st round pick to interest me. Maybe two 2ds (2022, 2023) to prey on their desperation.

Additionally if you deal Hofer in a Chychrun trade I don't know if losing both Husso and Hofer is wise during an attempted run even if you can salvage some value.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
Mikkola is starting only 27.38% of his 5v5 zone starts in the offensive zone (OZS) this season, which is the lowest in the league. Only two other dmen (100+ mins) have under 30% OZS in the entire league: Scandella, and Andrew Peeke in CBJ. There is only one player in the league under 40% OZS that has a CA60rel under 0 (excellent at preventing shots against) and CF60rel (positive shot impacts for): Erik Cernak from TBL. So, you mostly expect your defensive dmen to get caved in a little bit.

With that in mind, Mikkola has had excellent defensive impacts: 0.68 CA60rel to Parayko's 8.67 and Scandella's 10.04. Only two players in the top 10 fewest OZS have negative CA60rel: Nick Meloche from SJ, and Andrew Peeke (again). Both are righties. Anton Stralman (ARI), Nick Jensen (WSH), and Cernak are the only other 3 below 40% OZS that have negative CA60rel. Mikkola is by far the next closest to being in the negatives. He's been really good 5v5.

With that in mind, let's talk about Chychrun. He's at 44% OZS, and has been having excellent results: -2.56 CA60rel, and 4.00 CF60rel. If he came here, would he be able to replicate that with even fewer OZS than he's been getting in ARI? I'd bet he could. He really is a true #1 LHD in terms of on-ice impacts.

Others that are interesting in the 40-45% range are Adam Pelech (NYI), Ivan Provorov (PHI), and Travis Sanheim (PHI). Everyone else is more or less a lateral move. So, if we are in the market for a LHD, it should between those 3 and Chychrun. My personal preference is Sanheim. But I thought it was important to look at what all of the options are, and really try to do an apples-to-apples comparison for the role we are trying to fill.
I like Provorov a lot. More Russians please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad