Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Dallas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Mikkola seems to have the needed tools to be a solid NHL defenseman. What are his weaknesses, in your view?

I'd like to see him perform without being sheltered and playing more than 14:30 per game. The guy was -11 in 30 games last year and defense is supposed to be his strength. Ok, he's got size but unless he really ups his game he will never be more than a replacement level player. Krug was +11 and people act like he's garbage, while Scandella was second only to ROR at +14 despite getting tough D assignments all season. I know plus/minus isn't a perfect stat, but the fact that Scandella was +14 while getting heavy d-zone starts has gotta mean something (on a team with a -1 goal differential no less). At age 25 Mikkola is barely cracking an NHL lineup, while Scandella was pretty much playing 18-21 minutes per game from the age of 21.

I have nothing against Mikkola or Walman, but people keep talking about how bad Krug and Scandella are....well what does that say about Mikkola/Walman, who are significantly worse players? Those guys would get eaten alive if they were given the assignments Scandella and Krug get on a nightly basis. Scandella was a rock for this team last year with Parayko out and it's asinine to see people rip the guy so much. What player are they expecting to get for $3.25 million per season, Jay-Bo in his prime?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well we need to re-evaluate things. It's 82 game season. If Krug or Faulk or both are + player after +70 games I will eat my hat.

Don't crawl your fox holes if Krug or Faulk get exposed.

Reactions: Blues Knight

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Agreed. Meanwhile...Dunn is lighting it up for the Kraken. The Blues should hope that Perunovich can step in and play right away, otherwise, after Krug, LHD is looking a little sketchy.
I was immediately taken by Mikkola's potential after he was drafted. His size and skating ability were already there, but he seems to have a difficult time slowing down the play.

We've had conversations on this board about this, but Mikkola is a little bit like Lindbohm, who I've watched play many times. Size, intelligence and, in Niko's case, excellent skating. The problem is that neither can remain calm under pressure. High anxiety.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Well we need to re-evaluate things. It's 82 game season. If Krug or Faulk or both are + player after +70 games I will eat my hat.

If +/- is a determining factor, does the fact that both of them were +11 last year change your opinions on them?

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If +/- is a determining factor, does the fact that both of them were +11 last year change your opinions on them?
I prefer look bigger picture, full 82 games. Like it has been noted. Faulk run hot on easy schedule last season, but when competition (schedule) got tougher he came back to earth.

I pointed out point produce now. I guess that is legit determining factor :laugh:

But if Krug or Faulk are +/- stats + players I'll give respect to them in +70 games played.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What kind of hat?
an old Tuque?
a dirty ball cap?
a top hat like Honest Abe Lincoln?
257_h.jpg

Reactions: joe galiba

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'd like to see him perform without being sheltered and playing more than 14:30 per game. The guy was -11 in 30 games last year and defense is supposed to be his strength. Ok, he's got size but unless he really ups his game he will never be more than a replacement level player. Krug was +11 and people act like he's garbage, while Scandella was second only to ROR at +14 despite getting tough D assignments all season. I know plus/minus isn't a perfect stat, but the fact that Scandella was +14 while getting heavy d-zone starts has gotta mean something (on a team with a -1 goal differential no less). At age 25 Mikkola is barely cracking an NHL lineup, while Scandella was pretty much playing 18-21 minutes per game from the age of 21.

I have nothing against Mikkola or Walman, but people keep talking about how bad Krug and Scandella are....well what does that say about Mikkola/Walman, who are significantly worse players? Those guys would get eaten alive if they were given the assignments Scandella and Krug get on a nightly basis. Scandella was a rock for this team last year with Parayko out and it's asinine to see people rip the guy so much. What player are they expecting to get for $3.25 million per season, Jay-Bo in his prime?
What are his weaknesses, in your view.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

While I enjoy my own brand of whining, I actually WANT Krug/Faulk to go ham and just smoke everyone. Then again I’m a Blues fan lol.

Reactions: Ranksu

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
What are his weaknesses, in your view.

Mikkola? Lack of talent, mainly. Plus he doesn't play a very physical game for someone his size. Tell me, what skills does he actually have? At least Walman can make a play on offense from time to time.

All I'm saying is it's quite puzzling to me that so many Blues fans rip someone like Scandella, who can actually play defense well at the NHL level, but make excuses for someone like Mikkola, who is just a replacement level player at best.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Mikkola? Lack of talent, mainly. Plus he doesn't play a very physical game for someone his size. Tell me, what skills does he actually have? At least Walman can make a play on offense from time to time.

All I'm saying is it's quite puzzling to me that so many Blues fans rip someone like Scandella, who can actually play defense well at the NHL level, but make excuses for someone like Mikkola, who is just a replacement level player at best.

Scandella has always gotten a bad rap. He plays to his abilities, be nice if he was bigger tho..

Reactions: Reality Czech

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Scandella has always gotten a bad rap. He plays to his abilities, be nice if he was bigger tho..
The problem with Scandella has little to do with him as a player and more to do with his role on the team.

He is a good defensive D. He just isn’t good enough to be on a top shutdown pair.

Reactions: 67Blues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad