Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Dallas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Vitale is making it sound like although Mikkola scored, he's had a rough night. A couple turnovers in the 2nd near the o zone blue line and maybe took a risk that ultimately resulted in the Stars' 2nd goal.
Full disclosure ... I'm rooting for Walman to make the team

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Saad, Thomas, Tarasenko, Scandella & Parayko all minus-2. Concerning that the regulars who are being depended upon this season are the weak links (Per the boxscore) in tonight’s game. Hoping Parayko and Scandella can be healthy and effective this year…otherwise this team will be sunk from the get to.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
sounds like scandella hasn't had a great game. vitale has criticized his play a couple of times

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Blues Twitter has some terrible camera angle of the Blues’ goal and a big save by Binnington, but that’s about it. Wouldn’t hold my breath for that highlight package.

Thanks for pointing out the twitter highlights. At least its something. But OOOFffff, those are terrible angle clips. I have no idea what happened on the Mikkola goal. The original tweet before the video is more clear...

At least you can see goal scorer and the puck in that one. The video I can't tell where either is.

As a side note, its a terrible look to not have games televised. Its even worse for the Blues twitter to be trolling us with tweets like that. I know its not the Blues fault the game isn't streaming, but they don't have to rub it in either.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Glad there wasn’t a stream. Don’t let let this shitty play of these past 2 games carry over into the season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Perunovich looking up at Brown tho... :laugh:

Also, Binner save for anyone interested:

Reactions: simon IC

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
i do like the look of this 4th line .. did they make any noise ? only got to listen to the first period

what was the final score anyway ?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
i do like the look of this 4th line .. did they make any noise ? only got to listen to the first period

what was the final score anyway ?
3-1 Dallas.

I didn’t see or hear any of the game but in looking at the box score, Kostin and Joshua each had an assist and both logged some hits. Also apparently Neighbours played well according to Vitale.

I haven’t heard a peep about Logan Brown. Nobody has said a single thing about anything he’s done well so I can’t see how his chances are good right now.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Scandella is fine, Mikkola and Walman are the ones who suck. Hopefully Perunovich makes the team so we won't be subjected to their mediocre play much this year.

Mikkola seems to have the needed tools to be a solid NHL defenseman. What are his weaknesses, in your view?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Scandella is fine, Mikkola and Walman are the ones who suck. Hopefully Perunovich makes the team so we won't be subjected to their mediocre play much this year.

You're perfectly welcome to think Scandella is 'fine', I think he sucks. Agreed on Perunovich, he brings a missing element and hopefully an upgrade to the D group as a whole but I still think the team will have to end up bringing in a LD via trade as Perunovich prefers RD and will likely displace Borts instead of one of the LD.

Reactions: Ranksu

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I like Walman over Mikkola but the problem is that the Blues shouldn't feel good about Scandella, Krug, Walman, Mikkola, or Perunovich playing against anybody's first line. And Bortuzzo, well, he can help on penalty kill and that's about it for his overall usefulness at this point (we should have learned that last year).

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
Yes, Mikkola has regressed. Walman is still an enigma to me.
Agreed. Meanwhile...Dunn is lighting it up for the Kraken. The Blues should hope that Perunovich can step in and play right away, otherwise, after Krug, LHD is looking a little sketchy.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Scandella was brutal against the Hawks; sounds like he wasn't much better against the Stars. You can only hope that the coaching staff and front office see it and he isn't gifted a roster spot simply because of his contract. If Army can get out of the remaining term on Scandella's contract that would be a huge win. He makes unforced, boneheaded turnovers every game, he's slow to get off his shot, his zone exits and outlet passing have to be amongst the team's worst and doesn't have the hockey sense to be a premiere shut-down defender. The best you can hope for is favorable matchups with him on the ice; but he's not bringing much besides size, PK'ing and some physicality which may find him in the penalty box at a Bortuzzo-like clip if the league is serious about cracking-down on cross-checking. I'd just assume not have to dress both Mikkola and Scandella...they're a little too similarly-vanilla for my liking.

I honestly don't like any of our options as top-pairing LHD. They've all got fatal flaws preventing favorable matchups with the league's top-lines.

Reactions: TK 421

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I’m afraid if we don’t find a #1 shut down LD, we wont be legit contenders.
giphy.gif

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
1 goal game essentially, all in all, not too bad for a road preseason tilt. binner sounds like he's in regular season form, which is great to hear. defense is predictably the concerning area. they mustered 2 whole shots last night compared to the dallas defensive squad putting 11 on binner. our forwards were more active with shooting, but just couldn't get one by holtby. if the powerplay converts, it's a different game. neither team had success on special teams. i hope they plan to bring more defensive attack in the regular season, being a top heavy team won't be that fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad