Blue Jackets new GM, Don Waddell, on possibly trading Elvis Merzļikins: “Let’s be honest, nobody is going to trade for that contract.”

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Elvis was above .900 hockey for about 3/4 of last year. I really don't believe that he couldn't be moved with retention. I think Waddell's statement is just about interest in Elvis' full contract, and I'd presume it's because Waddell refuses to do retention.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
To be fair, didn’t he make it a point to mention one of their number one priorities is getting Elvis in the right physical and mental state to perform at levels he’s capable of performing at consistently? Don is always a realist though and prefers to never bullshit unless it’s in his team’s best interest.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
That's a tough thing to say about someone who witnessed his best friend killed in a firework incident (who took the fireworks to the chest to protect Merzlikins' wife).

I would've thought the organization would get him some help in the form of sports psychiatry, unless that's already done?

hotcabbagesoup

Save us Celebrini!
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Should not have been said.

Look at how hard Luongo took it when people talked about his albatross contract. He could never really relax after signing, would always get frustrated when he ran into a little bit of trouble because he knew he could not live up to it. Fortunately the man has a great sense of humor and can laugh at himself about it. Don't know if Elvis has that mental fortitude.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To be fair, didn’t he make it a point to mention one of their number one priorities is getting Elvis in the right physical and mental state to perform at levels he’s capable of performing at consistently? Don is always a realist though and prefers to never bullshit unless it’s in his team’s best interest.
Yes, but acknowledging that might get in the way of another opportunity to point and laugh at the Jackets.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Should not have been said.

Look at how hard Luongo took it when people talked about his albatross contract. He could never really relax after signing, would always get frustrated when he ran into a little bit of trouble because he knew he could not live up to it. Fortunately the man has a great sense of humor and can laugh at himself about it. Don't know if Elvis has that mental fortitude.
Is Luongo off the books for Vancouver? If not how many more decades are left?

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad