Blue Bombers 2014 Thread (Game 5 - July 25 @ BC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Cortez apparently is having a second interview for the HC job
per Lawless tweet.

gary lawless ‏@garylawless 2m

Just been told that Riders OC George Cortez will have a second interview this week for #bombers HC position #bn #cfl race getting tighter

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Cortez apparently is having a second interview for the HC job
per Lawless tweet.

gary lawless ‏@garylawless 2m

michael-scott-no.gif

Cortez was an awful HC in Hamilton, what does it say when they were willing to eat his (reported) 700K salary after just one year on the job.

O'Shea, Higgins, Khari, Chapdelaine...would sooner take any of those guys over Cortez. Hell, I'd probably take Doug Berry over Cortez.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
FWIW, Just heard on 92 that Mike O'Shea is our new HC... official announcement forthcoming at 12:30 this aft.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
FWIW, Just heard on 92 that Mike O'Shea is our new HC... official announcement forthcoming at 12:30 this aft.

Wow. From the way Lawless was talking yesterday, getting McMannis and the other guy (from Toronto but I forget his name), was a major positive for the Bombers.

I think Lawless thought if the Bombers got O'Shea, that that would be another great move.

Too early to say, but positive moves for the Bombers??

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Wow. From the way Lawless was talking yesterday, getting McMannis and the other guy (from Toronto but I forget his name), was a major positive for the Bombers.

I think Lawless thought if the Bombers got O'Shea, that that would be another great move.

Too early to say, but positive moves for the Bombers??

Lawless is being positive about a sports team in Winnipeg? :amazed:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Lawless is being positive about a sports team in Winnipeg? :amazed:

I know, it does seem like one step to Armageddon.

I have found that the Lawless that writes for the press, and the one that comments on 1290 at 4:00 are somewhat different.

The writer seems to be writing to sell papers (duh), so it seems like his articles take on that "edgy" or "tabloidy" (word?), slant.

When he's on the radio, it doesn't seem like he's trying so hard to generate attention. He still goes out of his way to mention that he purposely doesn't cheer for the home team as he feels that would cause people to label him as biased.

But he does seem to make very good points, and it seems to me in the times I have been listening, has been more positive than negative overall. He's been positive on guys like Chevy, Noel, Trouba, Miller, heck even Paul LaPolice lately.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I know, it does seem like one step to Armageddon.

I have found that the Lawless that writes for the press, and the one that comments on 1290 at 4:00 are somewhat different.

The writer seems to be writing to sell papers (duh), so it seems like his articles take on that "edgy" or "tabloidy" (word?), slant.

When he's on the radio, it doesn't seem like he's trying so hard to generate attention. He still goes out of his way to mention that he purposely doesn't cheer for the home team as he feels that would cause people to label him as biased.

But he does seem to make very good points, and it seems to me in the times I have been listening, has been more positive than negative overall. He's been positive on guys like Chevy, Noel, Trouba, Miller, heck even Paul LaPolice lately.

All media is biased in one way or another and he's freaking local media. He's biased against Kane and Buff.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
O'Shea is a defensive guy right? So do will he keep Bellefeuille on or ...? I know Khari was interviewed for HC, but he is currently a QB coach in Saskatchewan, does he get the job? So many options, I know I shouldn't be but I am really optimistic here. Can't get any worse right? Right? ;)

Edit: Just read O'Shea is a special teams guy, now I don't know what to think.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
All media is biased in one way or another and he's freaking local media. He's biased against Kane and Buff.

I would disagree that he is biased against Kane and Buff. He has been touting Buff's praises for much of this season, saying how there are not any other guys like him in the league and saying how great he has been for us.

I also don't think he's against Kane, he just doesn't pull any punches (which he shouldn't).

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I don't know how well all these moves will turn out.
But, you have think it could be no worse than what has happened in the recent past.

I am actually looking forward to a Bomber season for the first time in nearly a decade.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
O'Shea is a defensive guy right? So do will he keep Bellefeuille on or ...? I know Khari was interviewed for HC, but he is currently a QB coach in Saskatchewan, does he get the job? So many options, I know I shouldn't be but I am really optimistic here. Can't get any worse right? Right? ;)

Edit: Just read O'Shea is a special teams guy, now I don't know what to think.

O'Shea is a defensive guy. He was a linebacker in toronto for forever. He might have been coaching special teams but hes defense.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I would disagree that he is biased against Kane and Buff. He has been touting Buff's praises for much of this season, saying how there are not any other guys like him in the league and saying how great he has been for us.

I also don't think he's against Kane, he just doesn't pull any punches (which he shouldn't).

He was in the past so much so that I turn the channel, ignore his articles and definitely don't listen to that dink on air. He's awful. He likes to spin everything negatively.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
He was in the past so much so that I turn the channel, ignore his articles and definitely don't listen to that dink on air. He's awful. He likes to spin everything negatively.

Agree to disagree then. I don't think he's amazing, but I've been listening to him pretty much every day at 4:00.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
O'Shea seems like a pretty good pick actually. With a CFL playing vet-turned coach the silly game management issues we've had since LaPo left should be a thing of the past.

As was said, now is the time to find a real QB. Things COULD turn around quick.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Not exactly Blue Bomber related but ****ing hilarious non the less.

Toronto Argonauts ‏@TorontoArgos 38m

LOL! RT @Ticats: RT @TicatsPR: #Ticats are the first team in league history to earn a spot in the Grey Cup without a single #CFL All-Star.

then

Hamilton Tiger-Cats ‏@Ticats 36m

.@TorontoArgos ...and we still ended your season. LOL!

then finally

.@Ticats and then what happened?.. CC: @sskroughriders
BaqHh4YIEAAUvOv.jpg:large

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Any consensus on O'Shea?

I have no idea what to think about this. I guess its a big plus that he's Canadian and been surrounded by the Canadian football game..

bazaaa*

Any consensus on O'Shea?

I have no idea what to think about this. I guess its a big plus that he's Canadian and been surrounded by the Canadian football game..

I'm on the fence. I can't say I'm totally familiar with him, but my thoughts are:

Positives
- Seem like a take no **** coach, Burke definitely lacked this and we need this.
- From what he's done in Toronto, he seems like a fairly smart guy.
- If we get a proper Off coach, it'll matter less

Negatives
- Our offense sucks, our last coach was a defensive coach that knew very little of the offensive said, and he proved it many times. He didn't even know what QB he wasnted to start at times.
- Don't want to stereotype but Linebackers are usually not the smartest guys, or guys in tune with the offensive side either.
- I wouldn't mind someone coming from an offensive background, rather than a defense background, and more importantly only special teams coach experience.

That being said, head coaches don't have to be overly talented, they just need to know what's going on, and be able to run the show. But you do need to understand the game, from both offense side and defense. Look at Burke, he made so many poor offensive decisions that had a huge impact on games. But I think his attitude and work ethic will demand respect, and I don't think Burge got that. With the right personnel by his side, I think it may work out.

That being said, I'm really tired of these guys bringing their friends over. Miller wants his buddy to be head coach, Walters wants his exteammate/buddy to be head coach. Can't be so narrow minded because you 'know' this guy or that guy.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Any consensus on O'Shea?

Don't think O'Shea will tolerate any BS like the last couple HC's. Have a feeling that with O'Shea you will play hard or not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad