Binnington to Covid list

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the team has placed Jordan Binnington in COVID-19 protocols.
In addition, the Blues will recall goaltender Charlie Lindgren from their AHL affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds, on Friday. Because of salary cap limits, emergency backup goalie Kyle Konin will backup Ville Husso on Thursday in Tampa Bay.
Binnington, 28, has posted a 8-5-3 record, including a 2.80 goals-against average and a .912 save percentage in 16 starts this season.
Lindgren, 27, has dressed in 10 games with Springfield this season, posting an 8-1-1 record along with a 2.16 goals-against average and a .925 save percentage.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I don't feel very good about this situation. Binnington being out over an extended period could hurt The Blues significantly, especially if he really has contracted the disease, and has a long, period of physical weakness afterward. I'm assuming that there is a reason why Lindgren, at 27, is still not playing regularly in The NHL. I absolutely HATE that there is no Covid cap relief for Covid Protocol-smitten teams to ice reasonably competitive rosters. The teams that have done a good job in gathering good quality depth in their organisations are being punished by not being able to use it. That is totally irrational, and rewarding bad team management.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Lindgren is a Minnesotan, who played in The USHL, and went undrafted. He's played less than 20 games over 5 seasons with The Habs, apparently only in emergencies, and some back-up duty during Carey Price's long injury season. He's had a save % slightly above .900 over those games, and similar, but slightly higher in The AHL. His 2017 scouting report said he has fundamentally sound positioning, and reads plays decently. But, I think it remains to be seen how well he'll perform playing behind The Blues' porous defence. I'm not very confident about this situation, with Husso needing to play most of the games. I hope Binnington is out only a game or two because of a false reading.

Reactions: Ranksu and Kylester

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
It's like last season all over again...though I feel better about Husso this season.

As for the EBUG (emergency back-up goaltender)...I like the name :thumbu:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Lindgren is a Minnesotan, who played in The USHL, and went undrafted. He's played less than 20 games over 5 seasons with The Habs, apparently only in emergencies, and some back-up duty during Carey Price's long injury season. He's had a save % slightly above .900 over those games, and similar, but slightly higher in The AHL. His 2017 scouting report said he has fundamentally sound positioning, and reads plays decently. But, I think it remains to be seen how well he'll perform playing behind The Blues' porous defence. I'm not very confident about this situation, with Husso needing to play most of the games. I hope Binnington is out only a game or two because of a false reading.
Lindgren is almost certainly not playing any games. Husso is going to start every non-back-to-back game while Binner is out, which is our next 4 games. We then have a back-to-back next Saturday/Sunday where we should either have Binner back or we can swap Lindgren/Hofer to let Hofer play one of them. Hofer only played in back-to-backs when Husso was out, so I'd expect nothing different now.

Going with the EBUG tonight means that we can exceed the cap with our emergency call up backup goalie while Binner is out.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Why not Hofer?
Because the call up is going to sit on the bench without playing for about 10 days. Let Hofer keep playing in the AHL for that stretch and then see where we are at 8 days from now. If Binner is back then we're all set. If not, send down Lindgren and call up Hofer to start one of the back-to-backs next weekend.

Hofer is still 21. He is developing as a prospect and we want to maximize his games played. Lindgren was brought into the organization specifically to be a warm body to maximize Hofer's development.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018

Based on Lindgren's play this season, I have some degree of confidence in him. I've listened to a lot of Springfield games on the radio and he's been very consistent and always seems to make the key saves.

Goalies often need more time to develop. This could be the shot that Lindgren needs to show his stuff and get a chance at the NHL.

Reactions: The Electrician

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Lindgren is almost certainly not playing any games. Husso is going to start every non-back-to-back game while Binner is out, which is our next 4 games. We then have a back-to-back next Saturday/Sunday where we should either have Binner back or we can swap Lindgren/Hofer to let Hofer play one of them. Hofer only played in back-to-backs when Husso was out, so I'd expect nothing different now.

Going with the EBUG tonight means that we can exceed the cap with our emergency call up backup goalie while Binner is out.
Thanks! Good news to me. I feel a little better. Both Husso and Hofer are decent enough to get us by while Binnington is out, IF he'll be out 4 games or less.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Based on Lindgren's play this season, I have some degree of confidence in him. I've listened to a lot of Springfield games on the radio and he's been very consistent and always seems to make the key saves.

Goalies often need more time to develop. This could be the shot that Lindgren needs to show his stuff and get a chance at the NHL.
Yes. His 2017 scouting report said he's solid on his fundamentals, so as long as he doesn't get his confidence shattered, he should be okay for a few games. But, with Hofer also available, the blues shouldn't need him to actually play, unless Husso gets hurt in the one game Lindgren is designated the emergency back-up.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I wouldn't mind giving Lindgren a start depending on how Husso looks in his games, likely against either Detroit or Montreal. He's got pretty damn good numbers in the A this year. We also can't assume Binner will be ready to jump right back in the lineup after 4 games, though hopefully he will be.

Reactions: The Electrician

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Because the call up is going to sit on the bench without playing for about 10 days. Let Hofer keep playing in the AHL for that stretch and then see where we are at 8 days from now. If Binner is back then we're all set. If not, send down Lindgren and call up Hofer to start one of the back-to-backs next weekend.

Hofer is still 21. He is developing as a prospect and we want to maximize his games played. Lindgren was brought into the organization specifically to be a warm body to maximize Hofer's development.
Aside from Lindgren having played better than hofer this year, there are apparently cap constraints with hofer’s bonuses that made it cleaner to bring up lindgren.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Binny will be out 2 weeks max. I dont expect lindgren to play at all other than back to back 12th and 13th

Mar 6, 2012
And why do the Islanders get to have their games postponed just because they have it all hit at once?

We've been missing one or two players for like 2 months now... and the league is just like.... tough **** LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad