Better player: Stamkos vs Tavares

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Better player right now?

• Total voters

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
How is anyone besides leaf ball washers saying Tavares? All the stats favour Stamkos.

Stamkos has 25 even strength points in 70 career playoff games.

There are certain players who just never show up for the playoffs. They are few and far between, but they exist and they repeat these (non) performances time and time again. If I think two players are even remotely close, I’m taking the one with the better playoff resume. This is a big part of why I don’t complain about Jonathan Toews making the NHL 100 and Joe Thornton being snubbed.

Tavares had a poor showing in the playoffs this year, but he also had a few strong performances with the Islanders. This is him for sure.

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That was also before had career seasons though

First you wanted to see how he was doing before he joined Toronto, and now that you see he is doing better with them, you’ve moved the goal posts. Tavares’ season wasn’t anywhere near a true career season if you adjust for league scoring, and Stamkos also set a career high in points.

Most importantly, there are other polls that were done before this season started, where Tavares did slightly better against the same player (Scheifele and Seguin) than he did in polls against that same player before he joined Toronto.

The presence of “Leaf haters” is not enough to prevent their players from maintaining their position, or doing better in polls after joining Toronto.

Eastborn142

Jun 29, 2019
First you wanted to see how he was doing before he joined Toronto, and now that you see he is doing better with them, you’ve moved the goal posts. Tavares’ season wasn’t anywhere near a true career season if you adjust for league scoring, and Stamkos also set a career high in points.

Most importantly, there are other polls that were done before this season started, where Tavares did slightly better against the same player (Scheifele and Seguin) than he did in polls against that same player before he joined Toronto.

The presence of “Leaf haters” is not enough to prevent their players from maintaining their position, or doing better in polls after joining Toronto.
So I’m the one that was moving goal posts, but then you say no Tavares season wasn’t actually a career season when you adjust for league scoring. Huh ? That doesn’t even make any sense. Yes he had a career season. He scored more points and more goals then any other prior season. Not a hard concept to grasp there.

No the St. Louis blues didn't actually win the cup because the actual best team in the league got knocked out early and it was a weird playoffs so it doesn’t count.

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So I’m the one that was moving goal posts, but then you say no Tavares season wasn’t actually a career season when you adjust for league scoring. Huh ? That doesn’t even make any sense. Yes he had a career season. He scored more points and more goals then any other prior season. Not a hard concept to grasp there.

No the St. Louis blues didn't actually win the cup because the actual best team in the league got knocked out early and it was a weird playoffs so it doesn’t count.

Tavares has a 2nd place scoring finish and two top-3 Hart Trophy finishes. This season, playing with the best linemates he ever had, he still didn’t even finish in the top-15 in scoring.

By your logic, Stamkos also had a career season; after all, he set a career high in points. Do you really want to play that game?

Eastborn142

Jun 29, 2019
I
Tavares has a 2nd place scoring finish and two top-3 Hart Trophy finishes. This season, playing with the best linemates he ever had, he still didn’t even finish in the top-15 in scoring.

By your logic, Stamkos also had a career season; after all, he set a career high in points. Do you really want to play that game?
I would agree with that. Highest point total = career year. Yay !

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I

I would agree with that. Highest point total = career year. Yay !

Okay so then Stamkos and Tavares both had a career year. Yet Tavares after joining the Leafs started doing better than Stamkos in polls. Isn’t that enough to say that “Leafs haters” don’t actually swing polls in the negative for Maple Leafs players?

Eastborn142

Jun 29, 2019
Okay so then Stamkos and Tavares both had a career year. Yet Tavares after joining the Leafs started doing better than Stamkos in polls. Isn’t that enough to say that “Leafs haters” don’t actually swing polls in the negative for Maple Leafs players?
Really depends on the amount of haters vs neutral fans that choose to become engaged in these polls. There’s no way of knowing, so a moot thing to argue about. Next !

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Stamkos has 25 even strength points in 70 career playoff games.

There are certain players who just never show up for the playoffs. They are few and far between, but they exist and they repeat these (non) performances time and time again. If I think two players are even remotely close, I’m taking the one with the better playoff resume. This is a big part of why I don’t complain about Jonathan Toews making the NHL 100 and Joe Thornton being snubbed.

Tavares had a poor showing in the playoffs this year, but he also had a few strong performances with the Islanders. This is him for sure.

I don't think 5pts in 7 games is poor.

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't think 5pts in 7 games is poor.

Well, poor is subjective. For a 4th liner, 5 pts in 7 games is very good.

For an 11 million dollar center who scored 47 goals and 88 points in the regular season? 5 points in 7 games is quite poor.

Now factor in the context. Only 2 of those points were goals and only 1 of them was scored against an actual goaltender. At 5-on-5, his team was out-scored 5-3 with him on the ice, while they out-scored Boston by a margin of 9-6 when he was on the bench.

That’s a poor performance. But of course, it’s still literally an above average performance by Steven Stamkos Standards. :laugh:

Reactions: J T Money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad