Better Player: Spezza vs Kesler

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the better player

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Spezza was just too good offensively at his best and was a good player for a bit longer. I would take Kesler on my team in some instances depending on team composition (I would have kept Kesler behind the Sedins on the Canucks), but in general you want the highly skilled 1C

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And Spezza was an elite offensive 1C.
I think at his best Kessler was a Selke winner, and contributed more to his team’s winning than Spezza did at his best.
Was Spezza ever an elite number one centre? I’d say he was a good player, but I’m not thinking he was elite. Imo most GM’s would prefer peak Kessler in their lineup to peak Spezza.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think at his best Kessler was a Selke winner, and contributed more to his team’s winning than Spezza did at his best.
Was Spezza ever an elite number one centre? I’d say he was a good player, but I’m not thinking he was elite. Imo most GM’s would prefer peak Kessler in their lineup to peak Spezza.

269 points in 211 games in a three year stretch. A 105 point pace.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes did you even watch the Senators during the Pizza Line era? He was absolutely an elite #1C, he was scoring 90 points at 22 years old.
Peak, prime, and career, it is all Spezza. The only time you take Kesler is if you already have a Spezza.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
At the absolute single-season peak, I take Kesler. Id have been happy putting 2011 Kesler out against any single-season of Spezza you like.

Overall though, I take Spezza.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Read the poll wrong. Overall I’d take Spezza. But for peak one year I’d take Kesler.
Can't change my vote but in this poll I’d vote Spezza.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Canucks would have their first cup with spezza as their 2c, same with the ducks in 2017. I remember watching the mid 2000’s sens and was always entertained by them, the entertainment to me all started with an 8-0 victory in 2005.

Spezza and to me inec.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Spezza was 100% an elite 1C when he broke into the league.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Spezza was 100% an elite 1C when he broke into the league.

Maybe semantics, but no he really wasn't. His first pro season, he split time between Binghamton and Ottawa, filling in for injuries. Season two, he was very good but still not exactly elite with 55 points.

It wasn't until returning to the Senators after spending an entire season in the AHL (due to lockout) in 2005/6 that Spezza really exploded. That was his draft +5 season.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Maybe semantics, but no he really wasn't. His first pro season, he split time between Binghamton and Ottawa, filling in for injuries. Season two, he was very good but still not exactly elite with 55 points.

It wasn't until returning to the Senators after spending an entire season in the AHL (due to lockout) in 2005/6 that Spezza really exploded. That was his draft +5 season.

Sorry, that is what I meant.

Reactions: KirkW

Tony Stacks

Jan 30, 2012
Seattle
Spezza AINEC. Kesler was always best in a 2c role behind Hank, Spezza was a legit superstar 1C at points of his career.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Spezza had a bit of an unorthodox entry into the league by today's standards as Jacques Martin sheltered him quite significantly in the bottom six.

He was in discussions as a future HoFer along with Heatley until the injuries started to build up and he had trouble recovering.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Spezza peaked to the point where if not for injuries he would've had i believe two top 3 point finishes. He was nearly a point per game on his career still going into his second season with Dallas. And now has carved out a solid role as a bottom 6 guy with still elite hands and reach.

Kesler had a single elite season and a lot of that offense also seemingly came off the back of being stapled to the Sedins on the powerplay and whenever they were down a goal.

I know the linemate argument with Spezza, too, except that he proceeded to finish top 5 in scoring on a dogshit Ottawa team years later and after a lot of cumulative injuries.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Spezza was probably worse than his numbers in his best seasons, but Kesler only had 2.5 years of playing at Bergeron/Kopitar/Toews-level 1C before injuries knocked him down a peg.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Spezza you can't argue how good he was at his peak, but if I had a Spezza already, I'd take Kesler.

I don't like the guy but it's hard to argue how good he was at neutralizing other teams best players.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
At peak I take Kesler.

I personally think Spezza was the better and more skilled player, but Kesler is really a player that you can win with in the playoffs. He was a two way beast who did it all.

Reactions: thadd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad