Best two-way players (1960-2020)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I wanted to see if we could identify the greatest two-way players in NHL history, using some basic data. This was inspired by @DitchMarner's recent thread in the polls forum.

The starting point for the analysis is GF%. (That's a relatively new stat, but it can easily be calculated using the plus/minus component data - which I took from @overpass's enormous spreadsheet). GF% looks at the percentage of the total goals that are scored by a player or team. (A simple example - if a team wins 3-2, their GF% is 60%, since they scored three of the five goals).

If we just look at GF% (which lots of hockey fans do), it doesn't tell us very much. GF% (like plus/minus) is heavily dependent on the quality of a player's team. It makes a big difference if someone is playing in front of Dominik Hasek or Dan Cloutier. Therefore this analysis focuses on the increase in GF% between when a player is on the ice, compared to when he isn't. The assumption is, if a player is doing better than the rest of his team, he's probably doing something right. (He might have an objectively poor GF% if he's playing in front of Cloutier, but that would also impact his teammates, so looking at this on a relative basis makes sense).

The analysis is done only for even strength. That's a necessary step. Otherwise, anyone who played primarily on the powerplay would look better than anyone who played primarily on the penalty kill.

There's a lot of context that goes into these numbers. I go into that in some detail in this post (I recommend reading it if you're having trouble falling asleep). I want to be clear that I'm not posting the following table as definitive lists - it's just to get the conversation started. Context and common sense need to be considered.

Parameters:
  • the tables are based on a player's best five seasons (why five? that's how many fingers I have)
  • seasons don't need to be consecutive
  • a player must appear in at least 80% of the games (if he appears in fewer than that, the season is disregarded entirely)
  • forwards must play at least 20% of ES minutes, and defensemen must play at least 25% (this is done to filter out goons who get limited ice time and typically face weak opponents - if a season doesn't meet this criteria, it's discarded)
  • forwards must play at least 15% of PP and SH minutes, and defensemen must play at least 20% (this is an indirect way of taking "two way" play into account - I figure that if someone is getting minimal deployment in either situation, they're not a complete player)
  • the five year results are a simple average (ie not weighted for games played - that would improve the results, but it adds a level of complexity to the calculation - the impact should be minimal as seasons with less than 80% of the games played are ignored)
  • the data starts in 1960, and only goes up to 2020 (therefore recent results from McDavid, Barkov, Matthews, etc are excluded)

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Top 30 forwards (best five years, 1960-2020)

CLARKE, BOBBY
19.3%​
HOWE, GORDIE
16.8%​
KOPITAR, ANZE
14.4%​
GRETZKY, WAYNE
12.8%​
KARIYA, PAUL
12.7%​
MODANO, MIKE
12.6%​
BERGERON, PATRICE
12.6%​
FRANCIS, RON
12.6%​
LEHTINEN, JERE
12.4%​
GILMOUR, DOUG
12.4%​
LEMIEUX, MARIO
12.2%​
MARCHAND, BRAD
11.9%​
PAVELSKI, JOE
11.2%​
DATSYUK, PAVEL
11.2%​
APPS, SYL
11.2%​
STURM, MARCO
10.8%​
ROENICK, JEREMY
10.7%​
SUNDSTROM, PATRIK
10.5%​
FEDOROV, SERGEI
10.5%​
ELIAS, PATRIK
10.5%​
TOEWS, JONATHAN
10.5%​
HOSSA, MARIAN
10.5%​
ZAJAC, TRAVIS
10.3%​
SULLIVAN, STEVE
10.2%​
SUTTER, BRENT
10.2%​
TROTTIER, BRYAN
10.1%​
SAKIC, JOE
10.0%​
LARMER, STEVE
10.0%​
RUCCHIN, STEVE
10.0%​
MORROW, BRENDEN
9.9%​

Although there are some surprises, the results generally make sense. By this metric, Bobby Clarke is the greatest two-way forward of all-time (at least, going back to 1960). (I know the presentation of the data isn't great. In Clarke's case, he had a GF% of 69.4%, and the Flyers, without Clarke, had a GF% of 50.1%. Therefore he improved his team's result by 19.3%).

Gordie Howe finishes second. Keep in mind that the data only goes back to 1960. This excludes most of Howe's best years, including the four-year run where the obliterated NHL scoring records. It's likely that his actual results are better than this.

Wayne Gretzky is in 4th place. I wasn't sure how he'd rank. Gretzky, obviously, isn't a good defensive player in a conventional sense. But he scored so many points, that it didn't matter if he bled a lot of goals against. That's what I like about this method - it doesn't care if a player has excellent offense and mediocre defense, or the opposite. All that matters are the results. (Lemieux looks good too, but he was more reliant on the powerplay than Gretzky, so his results aren't quite as strong, since the tables are looking at ES only).

There are some very strong two-way centers near the top of the list - Modano, Bergeron, Francis, Gilmour, Datstyuk. The biggest surprise might be Kopitar (a player who I've slowly realized might be one of the most underrated forwards of the past two decades). His results are exceptional. Maybe they're inflated because he spent much of his entire career on weak teams, but even if we look at other players in similar situations (Dionne, Iginla, etc) none of them are close.

I've often advocated for Patrik Elias to be in the Hall of Fame. He looks very good based on this metric. He's essentially tied with Fedorov, Toews and Hossa - three other top two-way forwards.

Neither Crosby or Ovechkin qualify for this list, because they didn't play enough on the penalty kill.

To make sure I don't get misquoted - no, I'm not saying that Paul Kariya is better than Lemieux. There's a lot of noise in the data, even in a sample as big as five years. But if there's a player who looks unusually good (or bad), we should stop and consider why that might be the case.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Top 30 defensemen (best five years, 1960-2020)

ORR, BOBBY
18.5%​
BOURQUE, RAY
14.8%​
HOWE, MARK
14.4%​
MACINNIS, AL
14.2%​
PRONGER, CHRIS
14.1%​
LIDSTROM, NICKLAS
13.2%​
SALMING, BORJE
13.0%​
NUMMINEN, TEPPO
12.8%​
MURPHY, LARRY
12.1%​
STACKHOUSE, RON
11.1%​
MARKOV, ANDREI
10.3%​
POTVIN, DENIS
9.7%​
GIORDANO, MARK
9.5%​
PATRICK, JAMES
9.4%​
ROBINSON, LARRY
9.4%​
CHARA, ZDENO
9.1%​
WILSON, DOUG
8.2%​
DOUGHTY, DREW
8.1%​
MCCABE, BRYAN
8.0%​
TIMONEN, KIMMO
8.0%​
WESLEY, GLEN
8.0%​
SUTER, RYAN
7.9%​
DUCHESNE, STEVE
7.9%​
WEBER, SHEA
7.7%​
OLAUSSON, FREDRIK
7.6%​
MANERY, RANDY
7.6%​
ELLETT, DAVE
7.5%​
LEETCH, BRIAN
7.4%​
SPURGEON, JARED
7.2%​
PILOTE, PIERRE
7.2%​

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Bobby Orr is at the top of the list. Remember that these tables are based on best five years. If we look at a longer time frame (10+ years), perhaps Bourque or someone else would pull ahead. But over a relatively short period, it's essentially impossible to argue that any defenseman was better.

The next five names after are all very strong two-way defensemen. Mark Howe might surprise some, but he was one of the top even-strength performers of the 1980's.

Erik Karlsson's results are dissapointing. For all the offense he produced, he had essentially zero impact on his team's ES goal differential. (Note - this excludes his 2023 campaign, where he was very a strong performer).

Chelios and Stevens both look good, but not as much as expected. I think that could be due to the fact that, even by the standards of top defensemen, they had especially tough matchups (the data doesn't take matchups into account). Or it could be a reflection that, despite their defensive excellence, they're not at the same level as Bourque, Lidstrom or Potvin, due to having much less impact offensively.

Coffey looks decent, but his impact appears to be far less than his gaudy stats would suggest.

Since there was a recent thread about him - Ed Jovanovski looks particularly poor by this metric (5th worst out of the approx 180 defensemen who qualify). He was a "all the tools, but no toolbox" kind of player. He was big and strong, had a great shot, and was a good skater. But he was unfocused, took a lot of dumb penalties, and often put himself out of position looking for a big hit. Contrast that with Teppo Numminen (a far less flashy defenseman, who was calm and disciplined) - a player who never got the same accolades despite being much steadier. Jovanovski was a much more visually impressive player, but we shouldn't confuse flashy with effective.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Chelios and Stevens both look good, but not as much as expected. I think that could be due to the fact that, even by the standards of top defensemen, they had especially tough matchups (the data doesn't take matchups into account).
There also (like Lidstrom-Robinson) how good the players were when you were not on the ice during your career, I imagine, they had large part of the career on strong team with good defensive dept (all of Mtl-part of chicago-all of detroit for Chelios, the caps and devils had also often stars defenseman on them).

Markov team second and third D pairs were not like Robinson

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
There also (like Lidstrom-Robinson) how good the players were when you were not on the ice during your career, I imagine.

Markov team second and third D pairs were not like Robinson
Yes, agreed. That's one of the factors I talked about in the post that I linked. A player's numbers would look worse if he's not playing with the strongest teammates.

For example, Guy Lapointe looks really bad based on this metric, because a big part of the GF% when he was off the ice consisted of the deadly Robinson/Savard pairing.

Mark Messier is another good example. Nine of his best ten seasons (based on this metric) are from 1989 onwards. Why? Before that, we're comparing his results partially to Wayne Gretzky's.

I think there's some value in these tables but, like I said, there's context that needs to be considered.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I love this. I've got some reservations about R on R off, but you've touched on them all. I still think there's a lot of value to pull from it, especially when players have "normal " second liners.

I need to take a deep dive on Clarke. His numbers here are otherworldly. But the (limited) games I've seen he looks great just not otherworldly. I need to look closer to see what I'm missing.

Out of curiosity, why does data only go up to 2020? Also, didn't someone here find a way to estimate Howe pre 1960 or am I misremembering?

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Top 30 forwards (best five years, 1960-2020)

CLARKE, BOBBY
19.3%​
HOWE, GORDIE
16.8%​
KOPITAR, ANZE
14.4%​
GRETZKY, WAYNE
12.8%​
KARIYA, PAUL
12.7%​
MODANO, MIKE
12.6%​
BERGERON, PATRICE
12.6%​
FRANCIS, RON
12.6%​
LEHTINEN, JERE
12.4%​
GILMOUR, DOUG
12.4%​
LEMIEUX, MARIO
12.2%​
MARCHAND, BRAD
11.9%​
PAVELSKI, JOE
11.2%​
DATSYUK, PAVEL
11.2%​
APPS, SYL
11.2%​
STURM, MARCO
10.8%​
ROENICK, JEREMY
10.7%​
SUNDSTROM, PATRIK
10.5%​
FEDOROV, SERGEI
10.5%​
ELIAS, PATRIK
10.5%​
TOEWS, JONATHAN
10.5%​
HOSSA, MARIAN
10.5%​
ZAJAC, TRAVIS
10.3%​
SULLIVAN, STEVE
10.2%​
SUTTER, BRENT
10.2%​
TROTTIER, BRYAN
10.1%​
SAKIC, JOE
10.0%​
LARMER, STEVE
10.0%​
RUCCHIN, STEVE
10.0%​
MORROW, BRENDEN
9.9%​

Although there are some surprises, the results generally make sense. By this metric, Bobby Clarke is the greatest two-way forward of all-time (at least, going back to 1960). (I know the presentation of the data isn't great. In Clarke's case, he had a GF% of 69.4%, and the Flyers, without Clarke, had a GF% of 50.1%. Therefore he improved his team's result by 19.3%).

Gordie Howe finishes second.
Clarke
Howe...
Hossa

it tracks...

Kariya without the puck? No way. Fix the glitch (his great defensive pivot might've helped?). To wit, love Rucchin mentioned here! (though his offense was all about getting the puck and giving it to Selanne or Kariya).

Last edited:
Reactions: buffalowing88

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
1. Thanks for this.
2. The only thing I can't figure out is whether I should refer to you as Mr. Manery or Mr. Sturm going forward.
3. I'm not asking for this now or ever, but I'd be curious to see how it changes if one of the "best 5" seasons starts the 5-season clock, so to speak. That might promote more dynasty players...? I'm not sure.
4. I'd also like to see what it looks like with less of an emphasis (no?) on PK time. Even though I find him overrated defensively, Pavel Datsyuk hardly killed penalties outside of the first few years after the lockout...but guys like Gretzky and Lemieux.............and Grabner did.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
1. Thanks for this.
2. The only thing I can't figure out is whether I should refer to you as Mr. Manery or Mr. Sturm going forward.
3. I'm not asking for this now or ever, but I'd be curious to see how it changes if one of the "best 5" seasons starts the 5-season clock, so to speak. That might promote more dynasty players...? I'm not sure.
4. I'd also like to see what it looks like with less of an emphasis (no?) on PK time. Even though I find him overrated defensively, Pavel Datsyuk hardly killed penalties outside of the first few years after the lockout...but guys like Gretzky and Lemieux.............and Grabner did.

Wow, Bobby Orr the best by a lot on defense. How about that?

Gretzky only 4th. And way behind the leader. Howe, not even in his best years, is ahead of The Great One by quite a bit.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
To clear earlier shade of Marco Sturm: i have often marveled at his great defensive play as Marleau's wingman.

I am not surprised at him here. But just as Rucchin benefited from linemate production, so Sturm does.

Rucchin and Sturm do not add alcohol but they stir the drink.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
I'm the most surprised by how low Brian Trottier is. I figured he would be up there with Clarke.
Steve Larmer is another guy who seemed dynamite defensively and may be brought down due to Savard and Secord/Vaive being bad in their own end.

On D I thought Robinson would be higher. Not sure how Mccabe, Wesley, Olausson made the list at all. Never thought much of any of those guys.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
On D I thought Robinson would be higher. Not sure how Mccabe, Wesley, Olausson made the list at all. Never thought much of any of those guys.
Keep in mind the results (as I understand it) are comparing guys to teammates' results. Robinson's best 5 years, he was on maybe the greatest and deepest team of all-time. Had he had exactly the same ES results but played for Pittsburgh or something, he'd be #1 all time here.

About Bobby Clarke: I'm not surprised at all he's #1 among forwards (that's what I would have guessed) because, as I've posted about before, his ES results in his peak years are completely off the charts. For example, in 1974-75 Clarke was on the ice for a grand total of 19 goals against at evens, which, for a first-line player in a respectably high-scoring period who put up well over 100 points himself, is completely ridiculous. (Other top scorers that season: Esposito 77, Dionne 110, Lafleur 55.)

At the same time, we also have to consider the context of team competition in the mid-1970s, which is why several of these guys have hugely impressive numbers, even in goals against. Clarke's peak still blows everybody else away, but I think if we were eliminating opponents with, say, sub-.350 win percentages, some of that era-dependent domination would disappear.

Anyway, it's an interesting statistical measurement, for sure. Good work Hockey Outsider, as usual.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
It is very interesting in part because legendary name, 5 years, your brain can somewhat adjust the result, one obvious one would be Robinson vs Markov (him and Subban some of those season were quite above the rest), Gretzky having Messier and co. some of those season on the R-off, Messier obviously having Gretzky some of his peak season.

Howe first line was quite packed (like usual at the time). Morrison-Rucchin on suspect it is because they played on famous stacked first line of an otherwise not so good offensive team.

In that regard Kopitar, Fedorov look very good to me.

Fedorov R-off in Detroit would have been some of the best team ever. Some like Toews, often had really strong winger but during is prime the R-off of just a great team too compensate that factor a bit.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Most of the forward results are unsurprising and align with general perception.

There are some that really jump out, though.

I really like Steve Sullivan and I think he's underrated (does anyone ever talk about him at all?), but I have no idea how he did that well in terms of GF% relative to team in his best five years. The Blackhawks were quite bad during his tenure with the team. The Predators were competitive in his early years with the team, however.

And Patrick Sundstrom is top 30? That feels very random.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I wonder how best to account for teams where one line/one pairing is significantly stronger than the rest of the team vs teams that have multiple strong lines/pairings. It's hard to think of a way to measure on-ice vs off-ice impact that doesn't inflate great players on not so great teams over great players on great teams. There's quite a bit of noise, but I'm not sure what combination of factors would be better.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Dallas had pretty good strength through the line-up in the peak years of Modano and Lehtinen, so them standing out so much is a bit of surprise. Best two-way ES pair ever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad