Best Hot Dog in Baseball

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
If you ask baseball fans, most will say that the alleviative Dodger Dog at Dodger Stadium is the best hot dog in baseball. And I have had the hot dog twice, and I'm impressed. It's better than the D-back Dog at Chase Field, by far. I haven't been to that many ballparks, and I don't remember if I had a hot dog at what was The Ballpark of Arlington, the Angels Dog at Angels Stadium of Anaheim is pretty good, but the Dodger Dog still, to me, remains the top. What do you think is the best hot dog in baseball. (What's ironic is my father, who grew up a Dodger and Cardinal fan, refuses to eat a Dodger Dog, because he doesn't like the meat manufacturer of the Dodger Dog, Farmer John.)

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Dodger fan but I think Dodger Dogs are pretty overrated. Bryan Stow would probably still say he'd rather eat his own feces than eat a Dodger Dog. I would love to try the Fenway Franks.

Twitch

Feb 9, 2013
Anaheim
I've only had a hot dog at Dodger Stadium and Angels Stadium, so I'm going to go with Dodger dog.

My favorite hot dog place is Portillos.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
There's a grill right outside petco park that has really good ones, but prolly doesn't count cuz it's not inside the stadium

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Come to Nathan's in Coney Island and your opinion on this will be forever changed.

Been there, done that. Probably the best hot dog I've ever had, but it still wasn't that good.

Don't get me wrong, the German blood in me adores sausages of just about every type...but hot dogs rank dead last on the sausage list.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Being over half German I love sausage though I don't care for kelbasa. Hot dogs I just don't like the taste. The outside layer is gross enough to get me to not eatvthem. I'll eat a burger instead.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
American hot dogs are typically pretty weak. I don't know who gave you the idea that a Jewish beef imitation of a pork product was somehow the real deal.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
Been there, done that. Probably the best hot dog I've ever had, but it still wasn't that good.

Don't get me wrong, the German blood in me adores sausages of just about every type...but hot dogs rank dead last on the sausage list.

FyghSUN.gif

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
USCF has awesome hot dogs. Grilled Vienna Beef frank with mustard and a mound of grilled onions. When you enter the concourse you're immediately smacked in the face by the aroma of the onions.

They were better when Best's Kosher was around, but Vienna ain't bad.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Elaborate...there are different hot dogs in the world?

"Franks" is short for Frankfurter(s), Wiener is German for Viennese. These are specific types of sausages associated with these cities. (though very similar sausages existed all over Central Europe). They are usually made of pork (or a mix that includes pork).

Jews for religions reasons don't eat pork so they have kosher beef versions of these sausages and for some reason these seem to be the most widely available variations in the U.S. (finding pork hot dogs in an American grocery story often seems mission impossible, maybe it's different in areas with a high % of German-descended people)

But that's really only the start of the difference, the texture and taste are different too. American dogs have no snap and seem too soft and taste fairly artificial. Go to Germany or Austria and go get a Wiener or Frankfurter sausage there at a butcher shop. The difference is astonishing.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I've only had a hot dog at Dodger Stadium and Angels Stadium, so I'm going to go with Dodger dog.

My favorite hot dog place is Portillos.

Portillo's uses Vienna Beef hot dogs, the same dogs at the Cell, I believe Wrigley, and a majority of Chicago hot dog places.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
"Franks" is short for Frankfurter(s), Wiener is German for Viennese. These are specific types of sausages associated with these cities. (though very similar sausages existed all over Central Europe). They are usually made of pork (or a mix that includes pork).

Jews for religions reasons don't eat pork so they have kosher beef versions of these sausages and for some reason these seem to be the most widely available variations in the U.S. (finding pork hot dogs in an American grocery story often seems mission impossible, maybe it's different in areas with a high % of German-descended people)

But that's really only the start of the difference, the texture and taste are different too. American dogs have no snap and seem too soft and taste fairly artificial. Go to Germany or Austria and go get a Wiener or Frankfurter sausage there at a butcher shop. The difference is astonishing.
Generally all beef hot dogs are seen as higher quality in this country, even though your typical hot dog is not Kosher. I guess this goes back to German Jews bringing it over initially, just a cultural difference to how it is in Europe.

Hebrew National is pretty much the only major kosher hot dog currently in existence.

Pork dogs are normally the cheap kind, like Oscar Meyer Wieners. I find those disgusting.

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hot dogs at Nathans in Coney Island suck now. I was there last week and it tastes like any other Nathans around the country which isn't very good.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Generally all beef hot dogs are seen as higher quality in this country, even though your typical hot dog is not Kosher. I guess this goes back to German Jews bringing it over initially, just a cultural difference to how it is in Europe.

Hebrew National is pretty much the only major kosher hot dog currently in existence.

Pork dogs are normally the cheap kind, like Oscar Meyer Wieners. I find those disgusting.

The funny thing is that all American dogs are kinda like the cheap jarred kind in Europe. In Europe, you can also eat dogs without heating them as a sort of cold cut which is delicious, whereas with American dogs this seems like a really bad idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad