OT: Best GM of all Boston Teams?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Seriously? The guy has been the GM during one of the longest streaks of unparalleled winning and you put him as the worst? He may have missed with a handful of draft choices in the last 5 years, but his record is pretty impressive if you look at the entire body of work. He's easily the best, not the worst. The worst would be Ben Cherrington by default. He's had one great year and two bad ones, so the book is really still out on him. Ainge in 3rd, PC second, and BB first is how it really should go, IMO.

While I'm sold on Belichik's ability to coach I'm just not impressed with his skills as a GM.

Yeah the Patriots have won many games. But in the last 10 years they've always come up short in truly important games, mainly because their personnel weren't quite good enough when crunch time came. And that's on BB because he is in charge of getting the players.

member 96824

The best GM of all Boston teams ever was Red Auerbach.

:nod:

Absolutely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Red was quoted as saying "The best time to make a trade is when you are winning, not when you are losing."

Something that we should always keep in mind when everyone is buying into the presidents trophy hype.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
While I'm sold on Belichik's ability to coach I'm just not impressed with his skills as a GM.

Yeah the Patriots have won many games. But in the last 10 years they've always come up short in truly important games, mainly because their personnel weren't quite good enough when crunch time came. And that's on BB because he is in charge of getting the players.

The Super Bowls were lost by All Pro players and future HOFers-Rodney Harrison-Wes Welker and Tom Brady. Who else would you want at those times?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I get that, but to me it comes down to this: You can't lose the big game if you don't make it to the big game. BB has gotten his team to the big game more than anyone else, and he's won 3 of them. The Sox are up there but 2 happened under Theo's reign. The Celts and the B's are both 1-1 in the finals under their current GM's. BB has been to 5 and won 3. If the goal is to win titles, he's giving his team the best chance to do that year after year, and that's why he's a better GM than people give him credit for.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I get that, but to me it comes down to this: You can't lose the big game if you don't make it to the big game. BB has gotten his team to the big game more than anyone else, and he's won 3 of them. The Sox are up there but 2 happened under Theo's reign. The Celts and the B's are both 1-1 in the finals under their current GM's. BB has been to 5 and won 3. If the goal is to win titles, he's giving his team the best chance to do that year after year, and that's why he's a better GM than people give him credit for.

Holy crap! I 100% agree with you!

Now let me go check the weather channel to see if hell has indeed frozen over.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Holy crap! I 100% agree with you!

Now let me go check the weather channel to see if hell has indeed frozen over.

I can't see the sun with all these pigs flying around...

This is uncharted waters for the Lonnie and Donnie Show. Harmony? Who would even believe that was possible? :laugh:

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Yet it is because of his failures as GM the Patriots haven't won a SB since 2004, they've been 1 or 2 players short every time whether on offense or defense. Frankly I think he is over rated as a GM.

LOL. He lost in 07 because of poor personnel moves? Puh-leez. Who traded for Welker and Moss? Who traded for Dillon in 04. Pats draft as well as any good team.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yet it is because of his failures as GM the Patriots haven't won a SB since 2004, they've been 1 or 2 players short every time whether on offense or defense. Frankly I think he is over rated as a GM.

To just make a blanket statement of not winning since 2004 to call him an overrated GM is an uneducated opinion in my believe. You can't have this playoff record by being a failure.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/playoffs.htm

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
To just make a blanket statement of not winning since 2004 to call him an overrated GM is an uneducated opinion in my believe. You can't have this playoff record by being a failure.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/playoffs.htm

It's Monday wtf do you want out of me? :laugh:

The Patriots haven't won a SB since 04. They've been to the conference final a couple of times and the SB itself since then but no trophy. Maybe Patriots nation is now where Bruins nation once was- happy to go deep in the playoffs but not much real hope of winning the entire thing because they're one two or even three players shy, mainly on defense.

Yeah he got some steals in the draft and in trades but they haven't translated into more championships. Something isn't working here anymore. JMO.

member 96824

It's Monday wtf do you want out of me? :laugh:

The Patriots haven't won a SB since 04. They've been to the conference final a couple of times and the SB itself since then but no trophy. Maybe Patriots nation is now where Bruins nation once was- happy to go deep in the playoffs but not much real hope of winning the entire thing because they're one two or even three players shy, mainly on defense.

Yeah he got some steals in the draft and in trades but they haven't translated into more championships. Something isn't working here anymore. JMO.

The same argument could be made about PC as well though, no?

Doesn't have the same 10 year time frame you are using, but still.

member 96824

Im surprised Ainge and Benny even got one vote. Pretty clear 2 horse race.

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
The thing that separates Bill from PC is that he isn't afraid to let players go or not re-sign them. Look at Welker, Watson, Hobbs, Samuel, Blount, and etc. he lets them walk and the next season there still a post season threat, because of the way he drafts.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Ask Cleveland if it's east to make the post season every year. It's BB and it's not that close guys n gals. I know this is a hockey forum but to call PC a better GM isn't right

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
The thing that separates Bill from PC is that he isn't afraid to let players go or not re-sign them. Look at Welker, Watson, Hobbs, Samuel, Blount, and etc. he lets them walk and the next season there still a post season threat, because of the way he drafts.

Did you...did you just include Ellis Hobbs and Ben Watson in that list? There were so many other people you could have included and NOT them. :laugh:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Did you...did you just include Ellis Hobbs and Ben Watson in that list? There were so many other people you could have included and NOT them. :laugh:

Like Law and Woody (who scored out as the player who made the least amount of errors per snap on the team).

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I misinterpreted the question when I first opened the thread. I was thinking something like this:

Best Bruins GM since the '67 Expansion:
- Milt Schmidt
- Harry Sinden
- Mike O'Connell
- Jeff Gorton
- Peter Chiarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad