Best Free Agent Signings All Time

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Already bee said a few times, but signing Selanne for 1mil by Anaheim was pretty savvy move. Fun fact, he wanted to negotiate with the Kings and made a deal that they would call Selanne and his agent to set a time for contract negotiations but they never called. Lucky for Anaheim I guess.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That isn't exactly a ground breaking opinion, Niedermayer won the Conn Smythe in 2007.

Yeah, they don't win the Cup without him. Nieds/Pronger and the shutdown line were the heroes of those playoffs. Getzy kind of broke out those playoffs too. Selanne was marvelous through regular season and continued as the main focus offensive threat to open up space. Team effort through and through.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Signing Martin St.Louis equaled a Hart Trophy, 2 Art Ross trophies and a franchise first Stanley Cup.

Chara is phenomenal too!

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
With free agency coming up, I'm reminded that most guys who sign big time UFA deals end up being bad contracts for the team that signed them. So it got me thinking. Who are the best UFA signings of all time?

Being a Blackhawks fan, I'll start with Hossa. Who else would be in the conversation?
Pronger probably. He got traded but he took 3 teams to cup finals. So for edmonton for sure . Ducks was a trade idr if Philly was a trade or sign but edmonton was enough to put him on the list. Niedermayer going to win a cup with his brother is a good one too. Guy didn't even care about hockey anymore he probably would of retired even earlier if he didn't want to get his brother a cup

Hossa is a weird one because he managed to go cup hunting early and lose on opposite teams before he went to the Hawks. Probably the only guy to lose in the cup finals twice on two teams that played back to back years

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pronger probably. He got traded but he took 3 teams to cup finals. So for edmonton for sure . Ducks was a trade idr if Philly was a trade or sign but edmonton was enough to put him on the list. Niedermayer going to win a cup with his brother is a good one too. Guy didn't even care about hockey anymore he probably would of retired even earlier if he didn't want to get his brother a cup

Hossa is a weird one because he managed to go cup hunting early and lose on opposite teams before he went to the Hawks. Probably the only guy to lose in the cup finals twice on two teams that played back to back years
Ducks traded for him, and eventually they traded him to philly for sbisa lol

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

Think Joe Juneau pulled that off with the Caps and then the Sabres

* nevermind i see that you mean Pens/Wings back to back

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Hossa to the Hawks is what I was referring to, not Pit/Det.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: