Best Draft Class in Franchise History: Hurricanes/Whalers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
NHL teams build their teams in many different ways. Some construct their clubs via free agency while others do it through trades. However, the main way teams create a roster is through the NHL Draft. Most years have maybe one or two players make the roster, but some years the general manager gets it right and gets a cornerstone or two for the franchise. The Last Word on Hockey is doing the best draft class for each team with the exception of the Seattle Kraken. Today we look at the Carolina Hurricanes best draft class.

Carolina Hurricanes Best Draft Class: 1982 (Hartford Whalers)

In 1982, the Hartford Whalers were still in the early stages of a new life in the NHL. They had just graduated from the WHA in 1979 and were having trouble adjusting compared to their other WHA alumni. A last-place finish in their division meant they would be missing the playoffs for consecutive years.

The team had just drafted future franchise centreman Ron Francis in 1981 and were now in desperate need of surrounding him with enough talent to vault the Whalers out of the basement and into consistent playoff contention.

The 1982 draft did exactly that.

The three major players selected in this draft class helped the Whalers go on to make the playoffs in seven consecutive seasons. On top of that, they had a first-place regular-season finish in the Adams Division in 1986-87. The team didn’t have much playoff success, but the talent identified in this draft kept the Whalers in the conversation of a very competitive division for several years.

Their contributions, plus the incredible value of all three players being selected in the third round or later, make the 1982 draft the best in franchise history.

A Complete Review of the players drafted is here.

Carolina Hurricanes Best Draft Class in History - LWOH

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
had we hung onto Lindholm and he developed in to what he is now, 13 would be a pretty easy #1 from an efficiency standpoint at least.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
had we hung onto Lindholm and he developed in to what he is now, 13 would be a pretty easy #1 from an efficiency standpoint at least.

the debate we had in the writers room is what credit you give to the pick of Frederick Andersen in 2011 given that he didnt sign and re entered the draft.

i mean you have a top 6 forward and top 4 d in skinner and faulk. if you also got a #1 goalie than that is a darn good draft.

do you credit the scouts for taking andersen when it was wasted by not getting him under contract or not?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
the debate we had in the writers room is what credit you give to the pick of Frederick Andersen in 2011 given that he didnt sign and re entered the draft.

i mean you have a top 6 forward and top 4 d in skinner and faulk. if you also got a #1 goalie than that is a darn good draft.

do you credit the scouts for taking andersen when it was wasted by not getting him under contract or not?
Yeah that was the other one to consider. Any time you can get a top 6 forward, top pair dman, and a #1 goalie inone draft you should be set long term.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I mean, we did get him under contract, right?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
2015 has to be at the top of the "Hurricanes" era for me. Hanifin, Aho, Roy, Cotton, Lorentz. Hanifin is still a top 4 D, Aho is a 1C and the best player the Canes drafted in a very long time, Roy is turning into a good 3C, Lorentz is already established as a 4th liner, and Cotton still has a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad