Best Contract Today?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Best Contract Today?

• Total voters

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Pavelski or "Other" option. Like a person said above me Spezza for that cheap or Corey Perry for almost no cost/risk as well.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well Duchene was one that was less than I thought it would cost. I still dont think hes a 8million player for 7 years.

I think its probably the best contract listed as far as the choices go, but I still have doubts it will work out.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I accidentally answered Nyquist before realizing Panarin was an option.

The answer is easily the Breadman. He's an elite talent and the best on the market by far. Doesn't matter what his price was you get him you win the day. It is significantly better to overpay(And I dont even think the Rangers did) an elite talent by a little then overpay lesser players.

Rangers win by getting Panarin. The Preds and Jackets also did well in getting good players at good value points, and personally I quite like the Donskoi deal for the Avs with what he brings to the table as well. Both term and cap hit are solid for that one.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not f***in Bobrovsky, that's the only thing I'm sure of right now.

Other than him, none of the dollar amounts look outrageous today. No bargains, no ludicrous overpays.

If I had to pick one, Zuccarello.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Am I the only one who thought the Pavelski deal was bad. Even though he's a really good player, seems pretty overpaid as he's about to turn 35. I can see a buyout in the 3rd year.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
2013-14 82 games
2014-15 82 games
2015-16 82 games
2016-17 81 games
2017-18 82 games
2018-19 75 games

So many question marks it's filling up my entire computer screen.

Ha, did you the three of them together to come up with this?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Duchene by quite a bit. One of the first FA periods I can remember where the number of good contracts was pretty close to the number of bad ones.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Pavelski contract is perfect IMO. He's a high 30s goal scorer (really good value for $7 million) and they signed him for the perfect amount of time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Probably Duchene, as long as he stays engaged and doesn't get "distracted" in Nashville. That's really solid value in today's market, for a potential top-line Center.

Zuccarello's seems pretty reasonable by UFA standards too. $$$ figure is palatable, and term isn't too outrageous.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's interesting as a Jackets fan to see this poll outcome, with most people here voting for Duchene's deal, and Panarin's deal getting a fraction of the votes.

In the lead up to free agency, with Jackets fans knowing they had little chance of keeping either, we had a healthy debate about whether it would be better for the Jackets to let Duchene sign elsewhere. I personally didn't want him at $8.5m x 8, for the same reasons that Dom Luszczyszyn argued against signing Duchene. He's not as good as his points would suggest and his points are usually not very high. He's going to be second line quality for most of the deal.

At the same time as that debate, the Jackets were mounting their giant 100 million dollar offer for Panarin. It was just about unanimous on the Jackets board. You can read the thread. Even when we thought it was a $13m x 8 per year offer we were in favor of it. He makes a much bigger difference than you'd expect given his points, the opposite from Duchene. The Rangers got the best contract this summer.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Probably Duchene, as long as he stays engaged and doesn't get "distracted" in Nashville. That's really solid value in today's market, for a potential top-line Center.

Zuccarello's seems pretty reasonable by UFA standards too. $$$ figure is palatable, and term isn't too outrageous.

You might get 1C quality from Duchene once or twice in that seven year deal. Other than that it's not pretty. I know Duchene gave the Preds a discount but he's still going to be an overpaid 2C for most of it.

Zuccarello's cap hit is reasonable but 5 years for him is the ridiculous part. He'll be using a walker in three years at this rate.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Duchene deal seems pretty reasonable when you consider that unless i'm missing someone the second best Center on the market was probably Valtteri Filppula

I mean just think about that gap for a second

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You might get 1C quality from Duchene once or twice in that seven year deal. Other than that it's not pretty. I know Duchene gave the Preds a discount but he's still going to be an overpaid 2C for most of it.

Zuccarello's cap hit is reasonable but 5 years for him is the ridiculous part. He'll be using a walker in three years at this rate.

I mean, you realize it's Unrestricted Free Agency, right? You're never going to land an impact player that way, without some really ugly consequences down the road somewhere. That's how it works. :dunno:

As long as Duchene stay focused, i don't see why he can't continue to be that #1b Center type player for the Preds for most of that contract. He's still only 28. Sure, there are gonna be at least a couple years tacked on the end that will be really unfortunate...but that's the price to play in the UFA game.

Same for Zuccarello. Yeah, it's gonna have a couple years at the end where he's a dead weight old man who no longer has the wheels to compete at his size. But it's at least a reasonable cap number and probably only a few years beyond where he'll be worth it.

If we're really talking "best contract" on Free Agent Frenzy day...it's usually the contract that doesn't get signed. But that's not really the spirit of this question. If you want to actually make your team better...you pay the free agency price, and you eat those bad years knowing full well they're going to suck. You're never just going to get a great free asset with no caveats or drawbacks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean, you realize it's Unrestricted Free Agency, right? You're never going to land an impact player that way, without some really ugly consequences down the road somewhere. That's how it works. :dunno:

Compare it to the Pavelski deal or the Donskoi deal.

That or Artemi Panarin being 2x the player that Duchene is.

Either way the Duchene contract is not the best, it's closer to the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad