Value of: Best available free agent defenseman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean with the right partner sure they all could be. However they would be best suited as a very strong 2nd pairing guys.
Yeah, all 3 of them are good enough to play on a top pair next to a true #1, but you probably get the best bang for you buck having them be the guy on a strong 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah, all 3 of them are good enough to play on a top pair next to a true #1, but you probably get the best bang for you buck having them be the guy on a strong 2nd pairing.
I feel like Pesce or Skjei are the ideal free agent partners for Roman josi. Can Skjei play the right side? Hmmm….

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I feel like Pesce or Skjei are the ideal free agent partners for Roman josi. Can Skjei play the right side? Hmmm….
Both Pesce and Skjei have played their opposite side, but are better on their own side.

Pesce is closer to even than Skjei, but that's because Pesce isn't bringing a lot of offense on either side.

If you're looking for a RHD for Josi, Pesce would seem the better choice.

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Both Pesce and Skjei have played their opposite side, but are better on their own side.

Pesce is closer to even than Skjei, but that's because Pesce isn't bringing a lot of offense on either side.

If you're looking for a RHD for Josi, Pesce would seem the better choice.
I’m just scared as a Preds fan that he’s going to get some ridiculous 8x8 contract and stink in a few years. Especially after dealing with bums like Turris and Johansen. Ugh..

I love Pesce on a 3-4 year deal though. Pay him like a top pair guy and play him with josi. It’s crazy Skjei is older than Pesce but appears to have more productive hockey left in him. Both are big guys that play hard. Pesce better defensively but not by a lot and Skjei is the same but on offense.
We don’t need offense with Roman already there. I feel like josi would be even more productive with a guy like Pesce over Skjei because he can gamble more if he so chooses too knowing Pesce has his back.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I’m just scared as a Preds fan that he’s going to get some ridiculous 8x8 contract and stink in a few years. Especially after dealing with bums like Turris and Johansen. Ugh..

I love Pesce on a 3-4 year deal though. Pay him like a top pair guy and play him with josi. It’s crazy Skjei is older than Pesce but appears to have more productive hockey left in him. Both are big guys that play hard. Pesce better defensively but not by a lot and Skjei is the same but on offense.
We don’t need offense with Roman already there. I feel like josi would be even more productive with a guy like Pesce over Skjei because he can gamble more if he so chooses too knowing Pesce has his back.
If Pesce turned down a 5x5 by us, I don't think he's taking a 3 year deal

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
How much will Matt Roy get? $6 million?
He shouldn’t get any less than Pesce although perhaps a shade less because he’s not as big of a “name”. Should be in the same ballpark and neither is taking a deal less than 5-6 years, at minimum.

I think he’s probably a better investment moving forward, even if he costs as much as Pesce.

None of the guys mentioned in this thread, and even others like Zadorov, are going to remotely consider your team if you think you only want to go 3-4 years on a reasonable AAV. This is the last big bite at the apple for all of them and they will all be in high demand.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
He has played 28 nhl games, I don’t understand how you can make such a statement. What’s he done in those 28 games to call him our second best defenseman? Lol
Because in 28 games he showed more poise and skill than I’ve seen in any of the others. He's been to 2 camps, played 100 AHL games and I'm a ND fan.

Weren’t you the one saying Molendyk was a terrible pick because you watched some videos?

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think you have to worry about 8x8 with Pesce. But even 6x6 is a little scary... except I'm resigned to the fact the Preds will need to go at least that high to get him. And I'd do it. Because we need him in that spot too desperately.

Now, if 6x6 still isn't enough - and with all the open Cap around the league this summer it might not be! - well, yikes. :help:

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad