Best 2nd round picks.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Hi folks,

Today’s puckdoku got me thinking- who are the best 2nd rounders of all time? I don’t need late rounders, those are pretty well-documented, but there’s surprisingly little on the 2nd round itself.

Curious what names might come up, and might write a lil article afterwards.

Thanks!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Bergeron
Kucherov
Clarke
Trottier
Howe
Chelios
I tend to put pretty huge asterisks on early draft-era picks because it was such a wild west, but this seems right.

Only note would be Howe. Yes he was drafted in the second round but he didn't enter the NHL as a draft pick. Did Boston get any compensation for him?

Also, while Trottier and Clarke were second rounders, they were also still fairly high picks (Trottier 22, Clarke 19).

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Duncan Keith
Shea Weber
Joe Nieuwendyk
Patrik Elias
Roman Josi
Jason Robertson

Additionally there are guys like Messier and Roy who were taken in the third round but in a 30+ team draft would have been in the 2nd round.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Trottier-Clarke-Kucherov
Chelios-Robinson
Mike Richter

Man, it’s weird to me that Richter would be the top goalie picked in the second round… I suppose because the second round in more modern times seems to be where teams are willing to go for top goalie prospects, and indeed, there are a lot of active and recently active goaltenders picked in the second round. But there are zero hall of famers to choose from. Burke, Hrudey and Beaupre are the only ones with more games played. Theodore, Lindbergh and Carey the only Vezina winners. A few nice careers like Crawford and Bryzgalov. Not sure who could challenge Richter. Markström or Gibson, perhaps?

Noted that Patrick Roy was picked 51st, however in a smaller league.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Burke is the only one I hesitated with, 820 nhl game despite going to the Olympics twice, not a bad peak at all with the Coyotes (the only time he had the chance in his career to be on a serious teams many season in a row up to that point ?)

Who knows if he play on good teams a bit more, but Richter actually did it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad