Value of: Bertuzzi to a Contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
As a Pens fan we shouldn't be dealing our futures right now, but Bertuzzi is one of the few guys we should be willing to pay the price for if he becomes available. I got to watch his entire junior career with Guelph, this is a guy that helps you win. He's built for playoff hockey.
You should 100 percent be dealing your futures. You're team is screwed in 3/4 years regardless. You may as well go for it

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
No we aren’t. There’s moves Hextall can make to extend the window and keep us competitive.
In 4 years Crosby is almost 38, Malkin 39, Letang 38. Hard to say what happens between now and then but those are big shoes to fill.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
In 4 years Crosby is almost 38, Malkin 39, Letang 38. Hard to say what happens between now and then but those are big shoes to fill.
Jake 30 then Mccan Kap and Teddy all 28. I think Zucker Rust are traded in the off season for picks. If Letang doesn’t take a pay cut they might trade him to. Malkin and Crosby will retire together. Hopefully Peterson is taking by Seattle

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Guy hasn't played this year, last RFA year before hitting UFA, so the team would either need to sign him LT, or 1 year deal and hope he signs back. His value won't be THAT high to a contender considerinf he'll either be looking to get paid LT, or sign a 1year deal and head to UFA
He played 9 games and had 7 points. Larkin had 7 points in those 9 games with Bertuzzi, after Bertuzzi went down it took him 17 to get to 7 more points. He's one of those guys that just adds an element to a line you can't replace.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Jake 30 then Mccan Kap and Teddy all 28. I think Zucker Rust are traded in the off season for picks. If Letang doesn’t take a pay cut they might trade him to. Malkin and Crosby will retire together. Hopefully Peterson is taking by Seattle

Not to be an ass, but if the roster is gonna be headlined by Guentzel/McCann/Kapanen/Blueger, that doesn’t sound very competitive at all...

It’s not a diss on Pittsburgh at all. They got 3 Cups out of being aggressive. The incoming rebuild is justified by that success. But realistically they’re a team with their three best players in their mid 30s and probably the worst prospect pool in the league.

Reactions: BStinson

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Not to be an ass, but if the roster is gonna be headlined by Guentzel/McCann/Kapanen/Blueger, that doesn’t sound very competitive at all...

It’s not a diss on Pittsburgh at all. They got 3 Cups out of being aggressive. The incoming rebuild is justified by that success. But realistically they’re a team with their three best players in their mid 30s and probably the worst prospect pool in the league.
Which is why Letang Rust Zucker are potential trades this off season to rebuild the talent pool. Letang will take ownership approval and they will do right by him. Rust at 3.5 million next season will be very much in demand plus Zucker 5.5 2 years top 6 winger can bring back some prospect pool players. Letang knows he can’t re up at 7.25 million long term.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Where’s the top defensemen or center? Guentzel is a nice piece and the others are complimentary players. Draft picks take time and aren’t always 100% especially outside of the lottery.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Which is why Letang Rust Zucker are potential trades this off season to rebuild the talent pool. Letang will take ownership approval and they will do right by him. Rust at 3.5 million next season will be very much in demand plus Zucker 5.5 2 years top 6 winger can bring back some prospect pool players. Letang knows he can’t re up at 7.25 million long term.

Honest question... What are you really expecting to get out of those three?

Zucker particularly stands out... Teams barely have cap space as it is. I doubt many will be lining up to pay him $11.5M at a $5.5M cap hit considering he has 13 points in 32 games this year.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Where’s the top defensemen or center? Guentzel is a nice piece and the others are complimentary players. Draft picks take time and aren’t always 100% especially outside of the lottery.
That’s the problem Marino who would be 27 Friedman 29 POJ 25 Peterson (if Seattle doesn’t take him 28. We don’t have any real C prospects and only 1 winger and defensive player whose locks for the big club in the minors

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Zucker particularly stands out... Teams barely have cap space as it is. I doubt many will be lining up to pay him $11.5M at a $5.5M cap hit considering he has 13 points in 32 games this year.
He doesn’t fit in our top 6 because of the emergence of Mccan and Kap He doesn’t get a ton of power play time but to the right team a 2nd and 4th plus 2 middle prospects is fair

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He doesn’t fit in our top 6 because of the emergence of Mccan and Kap He doesn’t get a ton of power play time but to the right team a 2nd and 4th plus 2 middle prospects is fair

What the f***. :laugh:

Good luck I guess. I don’t see him returning anywhere near that.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
16,18,19 he was a 20-20 guy in 17 he was 30-30 guy. A team who put him on the top 6 and power play will get a 20-20 guy

20-20 guys don’t usually get $5.5M/year, and when they do, it’s generally considered an overpay.

Combine that with the state of the salary cap and the vast majority of teams couldn’t afford that move even if they wanted to make it.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013

Don't listen to that guy, there's no way we're dealing Letang and Rust for futures. We have no real urgency to clear cap this offseason as the only guy we really have to worry about paying is Blueger. Whoever we lose to Seattle + Sceviour heading to FA + Carter likely retiring leaves us enough room to ice a pretty identical lineup to what we have now for next season.

As for Zucker, I hope ends up in Seattle but I think this postseason is going to determine whether or not they actively try to move him this summer. His deal only last two more seasons and worst case scenario his buyout penalty after next season would be very manageable. Selling low on him, or paying anything substantial to move him at this point would just be bad asset management.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
From Edmonton I would hope they would do Holloway straight up

or a combination of this or next years first, another pick, and Caleb Jones

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Don't listen to that guy, there's no way we're dealing Letang and Rust for futures. We have no real urgency to clear cap this offseason as the only guy we really have to worry about paying is Blueger. Whoever we lose to Seattle + Sceviour heading to FA + Carter likely retiring leaves us enough room to ice a pretty identical lineup to what we have now for next season.

As for Zucker, I hope ends up in Seattle but I think this postseason is going to determine whether or not they actively try to move him this summer. His deal only last two more seasons and worst case scenario his buyout penalty after next season would be very manageable. Selling low on him, or paying anything substantial to move him at this point would just be bad asset management.
It’s not about next year it’s about the following year when Kap Mccan Rust Letang Malkin are all free agents. You can’t pay Mccan Kap 5 million rust 6 million and fit Letang and Malkin in.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It’s not about next year it’s about the following year when Kap Mccan Rust Letang Malkin are all free agents. You can’t pay Mccan Kap 5 million rust 6 million and fit Letang and Malkin in.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be hesitant to give any of those guys that kind of money based on them producing while playing with Crosby and Malkin. I don't think I've ever seen a winger that hasn't produced well playing next to Crosby or Malkin.

And I'd go as far as to say that Guentzel is really the only one that I can buy being paired with a lesser center and still producing just as well or at least nearly as well.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Maybe it's just me, but I'd be hesitant to give any of those guys that kind of money based on them producing while playing with Crosby and Malkin. I don't think I've ever seen a winger that hasn't produced well playing next to Crosby or Malkin.

And I'd go as far as to say that Guentzel is really the only one that I can buy being paired with a lesser center and still producing just as well or at least nearly as well.
Me either I don’t want to pay rust at 30 6 million. Mccan has took Zucker role on the power play and on Malkin LW. Malkin been hurt he is still producing. Kap and Malkin are special like Jake and Crosby special but we will wait until the playoffs. It takes a special type of player to stick as Crosby RW. If you don’t cycle and dump in chase he doesn’t want want you on his line. It’s funny cause before the season they didn’t know what to with Mccan was he a c or lw now they know.
If Malkin comes back and removed Mccan from the power play I am going to be mad. It’s definitely easier to be a winger on Malkins line. Malkin is east n west give in go center

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
hate to break it to Oiler fans on here, as much as I'd live to have Bertuzzi on the team, they aren't giving up Holloway to do it ! it's clear that Holland loves the guy and he may be in the Oilers lineup as soon as next year due to developing as fast as he has ! o_O

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013

McCann rarely plays with Crosby or Malkin, and Kapanen put up a 20 goal 40+ point season on Toronto's 3rd line with Andreas Johnsson as his center.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pretty sure there's very few contenders that can afford Bertuzzi long term. Depending on his health Bertuzzi could command anywhere from $5,000,000 to $5,500,000 long term. Not many contenders out there that can afford him. If he were signed to a reasonable deal say 5 x $4,750,000 similar to what Gus Nyquist got. Bertuzzi in a trade could command as much as what Mantha got us since his numbers are very similar to Mantha's.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Bertuzzi value is worth more in Detroit on last name appeal alone!

I'd say a late first round pick is possible for Bertuzzi if Detroit takes on a small one year cap dump of 2.75 million.

...Otherwise, his value is something like a 2nd round and 6th round pick. Or a second round pick and middling prospect.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Bertuzzi value is worth more in Detroit on last name appeal alone!

I'd say a late first round pick is possible for Bertuzzi if Detroit takes on a small one year cap dump of 2.75 million.

...Otherwise, his value is something like a 2nd round and 6th round pick. Or a second round pick and middling prospect.

I'm sensing that somebody has never watched Bertuzzi play...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad