Value of: Bertuzzi to a Contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Bert is a guy I want in the locker room and on the ice showing the young players how it's done. Doesn't matter if he's 30 when we're competing for playoffs, he'll be a leader.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Bertuzzi turned 26 a couple months ago...

And the team is non-competitive. I'm not sure what point you're making.

Personally I love Bert and would like to keep him and Larkin around as our transition vets. Maybe they aren't at their prime peak when we compete but I feel like they could still be very useful players by then. Plus Bert is one of those guys that I think will have chemistry with just about anyone he plays with ala Zetterberg. I'd rather look at dealing Fabbri and potentially Vrana first, but I think Bert nets us the biggest haul so if you think the 2022 draft is a thing then maybe you load up and hope for the best in terms of players hitting their strides at once.

I want to be clear that I completely agree - I really like him and I like him on this team. That said, I think Yzerman absolutely needs to be making his decisions based on competitive timelines and not some weird sense of "can't let go of talent today", especially when that talent is playing the only position you actually have a strong pipeline at. If you think Berggren, Zadina, Raymond, Vrana are top 6 wingers - is Bert worth his asking price to play 3rd line minutes? What happens with Niederbach and Hanas (and maybe Rasumussen and Svechnikov)?

Sorry, not arguing with you or disagreeing with you, just expanding on my thoughts based on your comment.

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
And the team is non-competitive. I'm not sure what point you're making.

I want to be clear that I completely agree - I really like him and I like him on this team. That said, I think Yzerman absolutely needs to be making his decisions based on competitive timelines and not some weird sense of "can't let go of talent today", especially when that talent is playing the only position you actually have a strong pipeline at. If you think Berggren, Zadina, Raymond, Vrana are top 6 wingers - is Bert worth his asking price to play 3rd line minutes? What happens with Niederbach and Hanas (and maybe Rasumussen and Svechnikov)?

Sorry, not arguing with you or disagreeing with you, just expanding on my thoughts based on your comment.
If you think it will take 10 years for Detroit to become competitive again then you are beyond help.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
If you think it will take 10 years for Detroit to become competitive again then you are beyond help.

A team with 1 C who shouldn't be playing top line minutes, no LD, and that is entirely made up of potential? ButI'm 'beyond help' because I don't suffer from irraitonal optimism. Cool, cool. Good contributions. Name calling and literally nothing else. I'm really looking forward to your next hit.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

I mean I hope you are right. It could happen though as the Wings are really missing some key top end talent. I think if we are realistic we are looking at the below and there are some big spots to fill, and some of my projects still may be overly optimistic. Also I would note that when most Wings fans say competitive we are talking legit cup contention, not making the playoffs. The 90s and early 00s made us jaded lol.

Raymond- TDB- Zadina
Berggren-Larkin- Bert
TBD-Ras-TBD
TBD- TBD -Smith

TBD NHLers? : Soderblom (2/3 wing?), Niederbach (2/3 center?)

TBD- Seider
Johannson- Hronek
Lindstrom- TBD

TBD NHLers?: Viro (3-6), Tuomisto (3-6) Wallinder (top 4), Sebrango (5/6), Cholo (5/6)

TBD
TBD

TBD NHLers?: Petruzelli (??)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
After he proves healthy, I do kind of expect Bertuzzi to be dealt next year. I guess we will have to wait and see how the summer contract negotiations go and I will admit I am deeply concerned about whatever is keeping him out of the lineup this long. He is likely a guy that gets a good price for Yzerman though. I know it will be unpopular in Detroit, but I see Bertuzzi as likely their last big asset acquisition to cash in. They are going to keep Larkin, but I believe the reports that only him Raymond and Seider are organizational protections. GMs should be calling on Bertuzzi assuming he gets a clean bill of health at some point this summer/fall.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Really ? See the NYI , see Buffalo and last see my Oilers . 5 years is usually enough for a rebuild but not always . Draft vary in talent. The Oilers rebuild with all the 1 round picks didn’t help . Hall , Yakupov , PRV and Eberle done little to help Edmonton. Seems it finally moving in the right direction. Point is when depending on a draft lots can go wrong and UFAs don’t usually sign with rebuilding teams .

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wouldn't mind him in Edmonton, but I'm still mad about the Athanasiou trade and I would want a win back in any future trade with Detroit, ha ha.

Just kidding. Mostly.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Really ? See the NYI , see Buffalo and last see my Oilers . 5 years is usually enough for a rebuild but not always . Draft vary in talent. The Oilers rebuild with all the 1 round picks didn’t help . Hall , Yakupov , PRV and Eberle done little to help Edmonton. Seems it finally moving in the right direction. Point is when depending on a draft lots can go wrong and UFAs don’t usually sign with rebuilding teams .

You had Peter Chiarelli running the show for most of that time. He traded away Hall for a massive downgrade in Larsson. He traded Eberle for Strome who didn't turn good until after he left Edmonton. He signed Koskinen on his way out the door. Don't use the fact that you had completely incompetent management to someone project that the Wings will take a decade plus to rebuild.

Also... Buffalo? Same thing. Incompetent leadership led to hanging young players out to dry which then massively hurt their development. That massive talent that you injected from the draft was basically told to sink or swim and when they predictably were slow to take to it, Chia dealt them away. Also, Yakupov was just a seriously bad draft pick.

Buffalo's "rebuild" is taking this long because they got part of the way there and then tore it down again. Edmonton's is just now taking shape because they finally got the moron out of the office.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn't mind him in Edmonton, but I'm still mad about the Athanasiou trade and I would want a win back in any future trade with Detroit, ha ha.

Just kidding. Mostly.

I think Bertuzzi and Draisaitl would be amazing together. Tyler Bertuzzi really is an exceptionally smart hockey player. He isn't all that gifted physically like his Uncle Todd was for sure. He just is a junk yard dog and he is so smart, his hand eye coordination is insane. He scrambles a ton of pucks and wins a ton of puck battles. I could see him and Draisaitl just exhausting teams like that and springing scoring chances over and over. He is kind of like a Tkachuk-lite, a ton of what he can do is wasted in Detroit currently in my opinion. Guy was an exceptional playoff guy too in Major Junior and the AHL.

It would hurt to move him, but I can see why it would happen. I don't think Yzerman is going to move him for a song. He does need to get healthy though for any of this to even be relevant.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Bertuzzi and Draisaitl would be amazing together. Tyler Bertuzzi really is an exceptionally smart hockey player. He isn't all that gifted physically like his Uncle Todd was for sure. He just is a junk yard dog and he is so smart, his hand eye coordination is insane. He scrambles a ton of pucks and wins a ton of puck battles. I could see him and Draisaitl just exhausting teams like that and springing scoring chances over and over. He is kind of like a Tkachuk-lite, a ton of what he can do is wasted in Detroit currently in my opinion. Guy was an exceptional playoff guy too in Major Junior and the AHL.

It would hurt to move him, but I can see why it would happen. I don't think Yzerman is going to move him for a song. He does need to get healthy though for any of this to even be relevant.
Okay then, you've sold me. Considering the "you screwed me last time" tax, I offer a 2022 2nd round pick and Cooper Marody. I do not expect that will beat other offers though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Okay then, you've sold me. Considering the "you screwed me last time" tax, I offer a 2022 2nd round pick and Cooper Marody. I do not expect that will beat other offers though.

I think Yzerman responds to Holland with, I have made sure you are barred from every golf course I have made connections at Ken... I thought we were friends, I thought you were my mentor... Why would you insult me like that Kenny.

In all seriousness though, I think Bertuzzi again provided he proves healthy is going to snag a 1st round pick and other assets assuming they extend him this off-season. They can probably shop him with cost certainty, he won't have trade protection as an RFA guy. He is an asset that, should they choose to, they could probably cash in a decent package like they did with Mantha. He is a good player, I think lots of people will be interested if Tyler Bertuzzi is on the market.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You had Peter Chiarelli running the show for most of that time. He traded away Hall for a massive downgrade in Larsson. He traded Eberle for Strome who didn't turn good until after he left Edmonton. He signed Koskinen on his way out the door. Don't use the fact that you had completely incompetent management to someone project that the Wings will take a decade plus to rebuild.

Also... Buffalo? Same thing. Incompetent leadership led to hanging young players out to dry which then massively hurt their development. That massive talent that you injected from the draft was basically told to sink or swim and when they predictably were slow to take to it, Chia dealt them away. Also, Yakupov was just a seriously bad draft pick.

Buffalo's "rebuild" is taking this long because they got part of the way there and then tore it down again. Edmonton's is just now taking shape because they finally got the moron out of the office.

Problem was Chia made bad trades but he wasn’t in Edmonton long we had other GMs that are equally to blame but that’s the point there many things to go wrong and just as many need to go right .

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
but byron has value ...
Absoluetely not. I've said numerous time he'd need a good incentives to get rid of
But the facr he has a NTC kicking in in the last year of his contract makes it even harder to deal him.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
As a Pens fan we shouldn't be dealing our futures right now, but Bertuzzi is one of the few guys we should be willing to pay the price for if he becomes available. I got to watch his entire junior career with Guelph, this is a guy that helps you win. He's built for playoff hockey.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
It's nice to see Bert getting his due. You should have seen the Wings board when he was taken in the 2nd, you'd have thought the world was going to end.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
1. I love players who play the way he does.
2. I worry about players who play the way he does with back injuries.

swank

Nov 4, 2019
Would love him on the Nucks, he would absolutely break out playing with Pettersson (a la Miller)
2022 1st + Jack Rathbone

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's nice to see Bert getting his due. You should have seen the Wings board when he was taken in the 2nd, you'd have thought the world was going to end.

For what it's worth, just about everybody everywhere was laughing at that pick.

... But yeah, we mocked it pretty hard.

Reactions: BeersHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad