Trade: Ben Revere and PTBNL (TOR) for Drew Storen (WSH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Good deal hoss

Drew was okay but typically collapsed

Was doing decent this year until Nats got Papelbon and things just blew over

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I liked Rivere in Toronto but he was not used to the best of his abilities.

He was not able to steal based for the Jays. If he would manage to get on base he would have Donaldson, Batista and Encarnacion batting after them. With that much power he was not running into potential outs.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Great deal for the Jays. They have the potential to go a lot farther with Storen in the bullpen that Revere in the lineup. Now if Storen can only get his act together...

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Big fan of this trade. Storen is a great pen arm to add to the already good back end of the pen and I've wanted Revere gone for a while.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Big fan of this trade. Storen is a great pen arm to add to the already good back end of the pen and I've wanted Revere gone for a while.

Same. My reaction can be summed up as:

original

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
storen is a free agent next year and gave up on the nats down the stretch. he didnt wanna be here at all

they get a cheaper denard span

Well to be fair the Nats kinda gave up on him too.

Nats could have unloaded Storen at the deadline for better return now they didnt get much.

Good deal for the Jays.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Revere was either really good or really bad at certain aspects. He could make highlight reel catches but his arm? Heh. Got on base a lot but his extra base power? Heh.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Revere was either really good or really bad at certain aspects. He could make highlight reel catches but his arm? Heh. Got on base a lot but his extra base power? Heh.

Generally he wouldn't need to hit lots of doubles because he could just hit a single and steal second but we never really saw him able to do that since nobody wanted to get caught stealing with Murderer's Row coming up.

I like Revere as both the player and person but I like this move.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Nationals made no sense, why trade a pretty valuable bullpen guy for a poor man's Span? Is there some organizational depth issue I'm missing?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I don't think they've gotten much worse. They're definitely still in the NL East mix.

Gott is comparable to Storen. Zimmermann should see a steep decline soon enough, but that's still 3 wins to replace. Rendon should play much better next year. They basically didn't have Span and Desmond was near replacement level.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They've **** the bed this offseason. Overhyped last year, missed playoffs. Now they lose 200 good innings from Zimmermann. They replaced Span with a worse version of Span. Werth is going to be 37, he's not going to magically get healthy and productive. Daniel Murphy is NOT the answer to adding offence for Harper.

They will disappoint yet again, lose Strasburg next offseason and eventually lose Harper in a few years then become the laughing stock of the league.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
They've **** the bed this offseason. Overhyped last year, missed playoffs. Now they lose 200 good innings from Zimmermann. They replaced Span with a worse version of Span. Werth is going to be 37, he's not going to magically get healthy and productive. Daniel Murphy is NOT the answer to adding offence for Harper.

They will disappoint yet again, lose Strasburg next offseason and eventually lose Harper in a few years then become the laughing stock of the league.

They didn't replace Span. They barely had Span last year. Taylor played CF and he will likely continue to.

Their rotation is Scherzer, Strasburg, Gio, Roark, and Joe Ross. That's a good rotation. To be honest, I'd rather have Joe Ross next year than Zim. Not to mention, Roark could go back to the pen for Giolito.

Turner is a massive upgrade on Desmond. Murphy is an upgrade on Yunel Escobar. Rendon moves back to third and will play much better this year. Then adding Revere leaves them the ability to cycle him and Werth in left and have Taylor and Bryce in the other two spots.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They didn't replace Span. They barely had Span last year. Taylor played CF and he will likely continue to.

Their rotation is Scherzer, Strasburg, Gio, Roark, and Joe Ross. That's a good rotation. To be honest, I'd rather have Joe Ross next year than Zim. Not to mention, Roark could go back to the pen for Giolito.

Turner is a massive upgrade on Desmond. Murphy is an upgrade on Yunel Escobar. Rendon moves back to third and will play much better this year. Then adding Revere leaves them the ability to cycle him and Werth in left and have Taylor and Bryce in the other two spots.

Taylor is a blackhole offensively. Turner is 22 and probably can't replace Desmond's production yet. Murphy is barely an upgrade over Escobar. The middle of the lineup is not at all threatening, that is my concern. No one to help Harper.

I'll give you the rotation though I worry about the lack of innings pitched.

In my mind they haven't improved and they missed the playoffs last season despite a once in a lifetime type of season from Harper. Their only saving grace is that they are in the NL East, but I wouldn't bet against the Mets rotation.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Taylor is a blackhole offensively. Turner is 22 and probably can't replace Desmond's production yet. Murphy is barely an upgrade over Escobar. The middle of the lineup is not at all threatening, that is my concern. No one to help Harper.

I'll give you the rotation though I worry about the lack of innings pitched.

In my mind they haven't improved and they missed the playoffs last season despite a once in a lifetime type of season from Harper. Their only saving grace is that they are in the NL East, but I wouldn't bet against the Mets rotation.

And? Gonna elaborate or just completely ignore that he's a 24 year old, GG caliber CF.

I have a hard time believing Turner can't be a 1.7 win player. His speed and defense base is strong enough to push him past that even with a poor year with the stick.

Barely? Escobar has been faltering for the past two years defensively and is relying on an outlier season with the bat. He's not good.

I don't think they're any bit out of the NL East race. They could end up being better, but there is certainly a bit more uncertainty than last offseason.

They also had an awful season from their other star, Rendon. And got nothing out of SS and LF.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
And? Gonna elaborate or just completely ignore that he's a 24 year old, GG caliber CF.

I have a hard time believing Turner can't be a 1.7 win player. His speed and defense base is strong enough to push him past that even with a poor year with the stick.

Barely? Escobar has been faltering for the past two years defensively and is relying on an outlier season with the bat. He's not good.

I don't think they're any bit out of the NL East race. They could end up being better, but there is certainly a bit more uncertainty than last offseason.

I never denied Taylor being a good defensive CF, he's just not going to provide consistent offensive production. I also wouldn't rely on Turner to provide consistent offensive production. That's my concern. The outlier year is Bryce Harper. Can he provide that type of production again? He completely carried these slugs.

Also, you shouldn't mention Escobar faltering defensively and compare him to Daniel Murphy. It'll be the same type of porous infield defending with him. Granted he will provide a few more HRs.

They could win the division, but I don't see them contending for anything else.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

You'll probably see some of the younger pitchers more this year too. AJ Cole, Taylor Jordan, Giolito, Sammy Solis, Matt Grace. Maybe Treinen can live up to some potential.

Hopefully Turner and Difo are ready to step up.

C: Ramos
1: Murphy/Zimmerman
2: Difo/Murphy
SS: Turner/Espinosa
3: Rendon
OF: Harper
OF: Taylor/Werth
OF: Revere

Pushes older guys, who are injured alot, like Zimmerman and Werth out.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I never denied Taylor being a good defensive CF, he's just not going to provide consistent offensive production. I also wouldn't rely on Turner to provide consistent offensive production. That's my concern. The outlier year is Bryce Harper. Can he provide that type of production again? He completely carried these slugs.

Also, you shouldn't mention Escobar faltering defensively and compare him to Daniel Murphy. It'll be the same type of porous infield defending with him. Granted he will provide a few more HRs.

They could win the division, but I don't see them contending for anything else.

Harper is a generational talent who had already floated around 5 wins a year. We've been waiting on this. He'll be fine.

Murphy is a markedly better and more consistent offensive player than Escobar.

I think it essentially depends on how the other two divisions break down. If the Cardinals slip and fall, it could be interesting.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think the rotation is still solid but it's worse and in terms of bats they put a *lot* of faith in the idea that Rendon will replicate 2014 rather than 2015. I am skeptical of that. Werth is probably over the hill. Revere is just a utility player and Murphy only a little more than that. In the bullpen a lot hinges on Papelbon not being a liability but of course good bullpens have depth rather than one or two good arms.

I don't think any of the question marks of 2014 were addressed so even if we assume Harper will put up another MVP season, it's difficult to imagine where the extra wins come from. Of course they're in the mix in the NL East because every team in the NL East will have issues but they haven't really approached this off-season like a team that wants to go on a run.

They may not have Harper for long, so they probably should make more of an effort to win a championship as long as they have him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad