Belarus, 8th nation since 2019 Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Reigning MHL champion goalie (.947 in the playoffs) and the most prominent Belarusian prospect in NCAA hockey.
Or rather goalkeeper n°2 of an MHL team behind a younger goalkeeper and a bottom player 6 to 20 years old in USHL.

You have to know how to stop and stop the useless provocations.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Or rather goalkeeper n°2 of an MHL team behind a younger goalkeeper and a bottom player 6 to 20 years old in USHL.

You have to know how to stop and stop the useless provocations.
Zinaddin's playoff numbers rank second all time among goalies with that many starts, thus better than Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Bobrovsky. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a Vezina winner some day, but also not that someone a few months younger is about to replace him, at 18 he's still one of the younger ones in the league.

Yavaş went undrafted while playing in Belarus despite being the youngest scorer in the elite league, but only three other Belarusians have ever played Division 1 college hockey and the two graduates so far were rewarded with NHL contracts.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Why do People have problem to admit that belarus will be same level as slovakia, germany, switzerland, Sweden very soon ? Kind of weird becuse they are. Be objective guys dont let politics cloud your minds.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Why do People have problem to admit that belarus will be same level as slovakia, germany, switzerland, Sweden very soon ? Kind of weird becuse they are. Be objective guys dont let politics cloud your minds.

This has nothing to do with the war. I wouldn't rule out that they might be on a similar level in terms of high end talent in a few years. But in order to achieve that a lot of their talented prospects need to develop into bonafied NHL star players. And probably not every promising Belarussian prospect will actually reach his upside. They need at least a few "home runs" to catch up. And thats only in regard to high end talent. But the state of a hockey nation is also measured by player depth. And regarding that factor, the player base of Belarus just does not compare to Switzerland, Germany and to a lesser degree Slovakia.

Get me 8 Swiss and German prospects of the caliber of those I listed.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
This has nothing to do with the war. I wouldn't rule out that they might be on a similar level in terms of high end talent in a few years. But in order to achieve that a lot of their talented prospects need to develop into bonafied NHL star players. And probably not every promising Belarussian prospect will actually reach his upside. They need at least a few "home runs" to catch up. And thats only in regard to high end talent. But the state of a hockey nation is also measured by player depth. And regarding that factor, the player base of Belarus just does not compare to Switzerland, Germany and to a lesser degree Slovakia.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
Belarus is going to need a lot more than that. Highly unlikely

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Zinaddin's playoff numbers rank second all time among goalies with that many starts, thus better than Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Bobrovsky. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a Vezina winner some day, but also not that someone a few months younger is about to replace him, at 18 he's still one of the younger ones in the league.

Yavaş went undrafted while playing in Belarus despite being the youngest scorer in the elite league, but only three other Belarusians have ever played Division 1 college hockey and the two graduates so far were rewarded with NHL contracts.

I've seen Yavash play and he needs tons of work before being considered an NHL level prospect. Extremely physically mature for his age, big and strong, pretty good skater; but that's about it.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
8th place is a stretch right now. Not seeing it.
Though I can envision Belarus overtaking Latvia or Denmark for 10th. I like the former's younger generations more than the latter two's.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
A couple of interesting native prospects for you to consider:

This guys are not NHL prospects at all, why do you mention them? Exotic background?

These are the 8 interesting profiles for this year. To become very good KHL players or even settle in the NHL for 1 or 2.

For 2024 :

Future KHLers at best most likely

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
People find it difficult to project themselves into the future.

Obviously my point places Belarus 8th in 10-15 years. Josi, Draisaitl and co will no longer be in the NHL.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
People find it difficult to project themselves into the future.

Obviously my point places Belarus 8th in 10-15 years. Josi, Draisaitl and co will no longer be in the NHL.
What is meant by 8th place? Is it IIHF ranking? Belarus has been there in 2009 and 9th in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2015, 2016. Suisse and Germany were always somewhere around (rather higher) that times. No big deal, you just need to make quarterfinals two or three years in a row. Not something impossible in next 10 years even with "Future KHLers at best most likely" and couple of NHLers in the roster.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
If it's some other ranking that considers real depth of the pool, not only those available for the WM but number and quality of active professional players and prospects, Swiss and German program should somewhat degrade to skip Belarus ahead and I don't see any reason for that.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Anyway, be it 8th or 10th, hopefully Belarus will be able to make this #7 to #10 pool tighter dissolving difference between them, which will be for the benefit of hockey.

Levshunov

May 7, 2022
Minsk, Belarus
I see the same thing repeating again, you think you´re the smartest guy in the room once again :D But unfortunately, you aren´t. I don´t say Belarus isn´t improving, of course, they are and I´m fan of them. But will they surpass Germany, Switzerland or Slovakia in the near future? No way.

It´s not about only that if Belarus will have 2-3 more players drafted than Switzerland or so. It´s also about that in what place many of young promising players of these countries will develop. And there is one very important thing what you absolutely don´t consider and that´s is quality of NLA and Belarusian league for example...
Klimovich was helped to be drafted by WC U-18, and he developed in the Belarusian league, it's just that few people follow the Belarusian championship, except for Russia and Milstein, Levshunov was also noticed in the Belarusian championship, it's just that development is not possible without participation in international tournaments.And in 22, Edmonton would have made a noise,but you know what happened

Levshunov

May 7, 2022
Minsk, Belarus
Yavash should follow the path of Antoine Roussel, a tough guy :D

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Last 5 drafts:

Slovakia - 15 players (3 first rounders)
Germany - 11 players (4 first rounders)
Switzerland - 9 players (1 first rounder)

Belarus - 10 players (0 first rounders)

Switzerland and Germany are gonna stay ahead, but it's not like Belarus hasn't been knocking on the door

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
What is meant by 8th place? Is it IIHF ranking? Belarus has been there in 2009 and 9th in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2015, 2016. Suisse and Germany were always somewhere around (rather higher) that times. No big deal, you just need to make quarterfinals two or three years in a row. Not something impossible in next 10 years even with "Future KHLers at best most likely" and couple of NHLers in the roster.
Potential of the best team selectable (top 25).

The team you would have on an NHL game.

On my db NHL 23, by totaling the evaluation of the 25 players in the team, it gives this currently :

1 Canada 2 227
2 USA 2 216
3 Sweden 2 171
4 Russia 2 165
5 Finland 2 110
6 Czechia 2 066
7 Switzerland 1 947
8 Slovakia 1 870
9 Germany 1 862
Belarus 1 700

The Belarusian's squad is extremely young (17/25 born after 1/1/99)

yrmj3

Jul 4, 2018
Minsk
Arguable. Belarusian junior teams have never had such busy and competitive schedule as they have now against Russian teams. Much, much better for development comparing with 6 or 9 games per season agains Denmark and Latvia at best plus couple of games against top 4 teams at U18 WJC.
I understand that it takes time and we can see some progress in a few years. Maybe. But, you know, these games against Russian teams pretty difficult to watch :) as in November Belarus U15 team was uncompetitive at the District Cup, and rn same players at the Sirius Cup looks uncompetitive again

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
As expected, the record of Belarusian players (3, does not count naturalized) was broken with 5 players and Rimashevsky who is a native-Belarusian.

8th consecutive year with a Belarusian selected, 11 players selected since the start of the decade (record - 11 in the 90s - already broken)

8th nation in the last 3 drafts

Best upcoming Belarusian prospect for 2024

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
As expected, the record of Belarusian players (3, does not count naturalized) was broken with 5 players and Rimashevsky who is a native-Belarusian.

8th consecutive year with a Belarusian selected, 11 players selected since the start of the decade (record - 11 in the 90s - already broken)

8th nation in the last 3 drafts

Best upcoming Belarusian prospect for 2024
Belarus is definitely doing a much better job lately.

Twice during the Draft Coverage here in the U.S. the talking heads made reference to teams drafting "Russians" when the player drafted was from Belarus. It was embarrassing for them, but a good sign for Belarus when more and more players get selected.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Interesting discussion (admittedly I'm not too familiar with the Belarusian hockey structure nor the history of the sport there).

Tend to lump them in with Latvia and Ukraine - the two other former republics who have competed in the top division.

What separates their program?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
They have their national circuit like Latvia and Ukraine.

Latvia is doing very well. Ukrainian hockey is in recomposition. The Soviet heritage weighed a lot then the Russian speakers of Donbass. Now there are a few youngsters from the west UKR playing in the Central European circuits.

The gateway to the KHL/VHL/MHL system seems very easy for Belarusians.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Top 8? No way.

Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland and Russia are all ways ahead of course

Czechia, Switzerland, Germany and Slovakia are all comfortably in front as well. So that's already nine countries.

They could surpass Denmark and Latvia in the next decade, but that's about it. On the other thand being 10th-12th isn't so bad. If their prospects develop, they can pull off some upsets every now and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad