Low Effort GDT Battle of Ontario: Toronto (away) vs. Ottawa (home), 7 p.m. EDT, (TSN 5, TSN 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I will have to look it up. I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, not Crave nor HBO at this time.

I will look that up too.
I looked up
I can jive with that. There is still a sweet spot of some action I enjoy, like the Bourne movies, but I struggle with things like John Wick for example where it's obviously really well done, but is basically 150 minutes of straight non stop action. Just doesn't do it for me like when I was young.

Agree on the Whodunnits. I liked the 2 Knives Out movies, but the others are mostly incomparably predictable and campy.

I love diving in to history for a lot of my movies these days. My server is up to 4500 movies now and while I stay up on the new releases, I've scoured the 80's and 90's and routinely watch all these long lost films everyone has forgotten about. Some 70's and even 60's too. Anything Eastwood I'll sit down for any day. I watched "Mother" with Albert Brooks the other day and loved it. As a teenager or young adult, I would have laughed hysterically at the suggestion to watch such a thing lol. Cape Fear was a Scorsese flick I'd missed entirely and watched recently and enjoyed immensely. I much prefer the movies the way they used to be made to what we get today and there's so much out there it's kind of addicting.

Breaking Bad was solid. I've done the journey twice and can't see repeating it, but it was really well done top to bottom. I'm not a fan of most running shows because they go on too long and get bastardized. I won't even give things like Game of Thrones a chance with god knows how many episodes and so many fans saying it wasn't satisfying at the end. Breaking Bad seemed more like an idea from the get go that was properly fleshed out, then finished, not just more seasons created on and on because it's successful. Black Sails is one I often recommend for similar reasons, although obviously of lower production quality than BB. Lots of good mini series out there and I much prefer those. They're like fleshed out movies but not ground into oblivion with plot twists and cliff hangers. Presumed Innocent recently was decent and could be worth a watch for you, but The English is one I recommend most often to people. Hard to watch at times, but one of my favorites. Emily Blunt and that accent does it for me though so maybe I'm biased lol.

I also agree with the A Spy Among Friends suggestion from @Senscore, it is solid. A couple other suggestions would be Chernobyl if you haven't seen it. Black Bird is another I enjoyed. The 1st season of The Last of Us was incredible imo. Station Eleven is another I liked. And Lawmen Bass Reeves. The ending had me on the edge of my seat and was so damn satisfying.
I have seen a bit of the series "A Spy Among Friends". I see that it is on Amazon Prime now; I will start watching it again.

Saw Chernobyl; thought it was very interesting.

Liked Black Sails too.

I will check out the others.

I really enjoy watching Alec Guinness in the two TV series: Smiley's People and Tinker tailor Soldier Spy. Have seen it many times and still like watching it.

That's fair. I wouldn't dispute that. It was very high production value too which I can appreciate, I just find these long running shows not my preferred writing structure to content. I like a beginning, a middle, and an end that you get with movies, mini series, and shorter run series with a plan, I don't seem to get off on endless plot twists and cliffhangers like so many others do. While some people look at a show like that and don't want it to end because they enjoy it so much, I'm just waiting for the payoff and don't like the idea of it continuing on mostly because it's still selling well.

I liked Sons of Anarchy too but it went on for far too long.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
left hanging a bit to keep you interested for season 2, but they wrapped up enough to have a bit of closure, didn't realize it go cancelled...
Gotcha. Ya looks like it was decided in March. Gotta love it eh, that's another gripe I have with running shows, at any given time, the bottom can fall out with no resolution or ending to speak of.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gotcha. Ya looks like it was decided in March. Gotta love it eh, that's another gripe I have with running shows, at any given time, the bottom can fall out with no resolution or ending to speak of.
Streaming really changed the game when it comes to stuff like this. I mean, it happened before streaming too, but I think it's more common now.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
I like action adventure films in general (like the Bourne series) but not the non-stop action crash and bang versions which I find too be sleep inducing.

I also like suspense and mystery drama type films/stories such as Smiley's People and Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Alec Guinness versions). I strongly dislike "whodunnits?" with all the red herrings and cute script-writing.

Last night I started to watch Breaking Bad again as I could not find anything else interesting.

The free CBC Gem app has some surprisingly good content on it. No, not the Cancon dreck mandated by the CRTC, avoid anything Canadian, but international shows they've picked up.

Some good choices on there now are Crime, The Fall, Boat Story, The Missing and Trigger Point.

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I have seen a bit of the series "A Spy Among Friends". I see that it is on Amazon Prime now; I will start watching it again.

Saw Chernobyl; thought it was very interesting.

Liked Black Sails too.

I will check out the others.

I really enjoy watching Alec Guinness in the two TV series: Smiley's People and Tinker tailor Soldier Spy. Have seen it many times and still like watching it.

I liked Sons of Anarchy too but it went on for far too long.
Cool. I haven't seen the TV series of TTSP, only the movie, which I didn't like all that much. I might have to check out the 2 series' as I see they're both mini series which I prefer. Finding rips of such content might be difficult, but maybe not.

Agreed on SOA. I lost interest and just sort of dropped it like I do a lot of shows once they start twisting and turning themselves to keep going. Suits is another. I think it's hard for any show to go on for 6+ seasons and not grind itself in to a pulp.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The free CBC Gem app has some surprisingly good content on it. No, not the Cancon dreck mandated by the CRTC, avoid anything Canadian, but international shows they've picked up.

Some good choices on there now are Crime, The Fall, Boat Story, The Missing and Trigger Point.
Thanks. I will give them a try. I agree with you that much of the Cancon stuff is not very good.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The Tubi app has some fun stuff from time to time.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Streaming really changed the game when it comes to stuff like this. I mean, it happened before streaming too, but I think it's more common now.
It has for sure. So much dime a dozen content now that just pops up and disappears quickly if it doesn't hit. Seems like there's 3 or 4 low budget movies rolled out weekly now too, it's really changed the landscape.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You're smarter than not only me but Staios, Poulin, Bownesss etc. The concept is they are clearly building a culture of players that are hard to play against. That come to the rink and work every day and have pride in their day to day. This concept to you is appears to be unrecognizable. It's happening right in front of you. Yet you criticize and rip on it daily. They had to attach a pick ro get rid of Joseph. You're still bitching and moaning. You do understand that that means 31 teams wouldn't take him for free.... speaking again of hard concepts to understand. Do you get that one? Or do you believe you're smarter than all 32 GM's in the NHL too?

If we're not able to question a single move of an NHL team we might as well shut down this message board and go home.

Questioning a single trade doesn't mean I think I'm smarter than Staios. It's a ridiculous assertion. Even the best GMs make the occassional mistake.

Joseph had more even strength points than Perron last year, is a good defensive player and PKer, brought speed, effort and tenacity every night, actually drew many more penalties than he took, is a decade younger and cost a million less.

I like most of the moves Staios made in the off-season, but I would have preferred we kept Joseph and not spent a 3rd and an extra million on Perron.

If you disagree, fine, but the gatekeeping is pathetic. Reasonable people can disagree about certain moves without thinking they are smarter than the GM that made them.

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Questioning a single trade doesn't mean I think I'm smarter than Staios. It's a ridiculous assertion. Even the best GMs make the occassional mistake.

It would be one thing if it was just one GM. But you're thinking you know more than every other NHL GM unless you believe Staios is so inept that he didn't need to add a draft pick to have another team take on Joseph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad