OT: Baseball is apparently viable - The Champions 2015 Inaugural Season Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
The Ottawa Champions Can-Am team is holding open tryouts out at the ballpark today.

Made me wonder: can baseball in Ottawa survive this time around after having failed three times in the past eight years?

Curious on this board's thoughts.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The Ottawa Champions Can-Am team is holding open tryouts out at the ballpark today.

Made me wonder: can baseball in Ottawa survive this time around after having failed three times in the past eight years?

Curious on this board's thoughts.

Nope.

As a former avid Expos fan and STH to the Lynx; I believe that most hardcore baseball fans feel the same way I do -- the strike in 94 and subsequent departure of the Expos has left me supremely disinterested in baseball.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Yes the departure of the Expos was a death nail to the Lynx, but i think one of the major problems for any of the other teams that have played there is the lack of parking and who do we thank that for the City of Ottawa, when the Lynx were successful there was plenty of parking, in the official parking lot and in the area but slowly the city squeezed the parking out, first the Canadian Tire moved in next door and would not allow parking there, and then the city sold off part of the official parking lot for a hotel.
I am not a avid baseball fan but i did attempt to go a few times, but after finding the official parking lot full and driving around and finding all side streets were no parking areas i gave up and went home, i imagine a number of other people had the same situation.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yes the departure of the Expos was a death nail to the Lynx, but i think one of the major problems for any of the other teams that have played there is the lack of parking and who do we thank that for the City of Ottawa, when the Lynx were successful there was plenty of parking, in the official parking lot and in the area but slowly the city squeezed the parking out, first the Canadian Tire moved in next door and would not allow parking there, and then the city sold off part of the official parking lot for a hotel.
I am not a avid baseball fan but i did attempt to go a few times, but after finding the official parking lot full and driving around and finding all side streets were no parking areas i gave up and went home, i imagine a number of other people had the same situation.

Whatever, I went to a ton of Rapidz and Fat Cat games. If the lot is full (which is rare) just park at the shopping centre and walk the <10 minutes to the park. This city and "parking", man. Obsessed with entitlement, god forbid someone is mildly inconvenienced.

Is it viable? Probably not. I wish it was, because it's a lot of fun. The Fat Cats were actually really building a decent fan base, then they quashed it prematurely when rumors of a Jays AA team surfaced.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
This team is doing everything right

1)Good mix of players some true rookies some vets who have a fair amount of major league experience.

2)Renos to the park which should have been done years ago will appeal to many people

3)Re opening of the restaurant which will be a La Cage

4)Re opening of the picnic area

5)Ticket prices are good the only issue is what the are charging for parking

Lehnsanity

Oct 10, 2012
Ottawa
Whatever, I went to a ton of Rapidz and Fat Cat games. If the lot is full (which is rare) just park at the shopping centre and walk the <10 minutes to the park. This city and "parking", man. Obsessed with entitlement, god forbid someone is mildly inconvenienced.

Is it viable? Probably not. I wish it was, because it's a lot of fun. The Fat Cats were actually really building a decent fan base, then they quashed it prematurely when rumors of a Jays AA team surfaced.

In a city where transit sucks a big one, there should be available parking if you expect a large number of people to attend any event.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
One major problem is that I'm 99% sure they sold the parking lot.

Another is it's not a baseball town. It really need a major league affiliate to be successful here. Like our nhl club isn't exactly selling out every game so it's hard to believe ticket sales would be strong in this market.

Any feeder team would likely have more success is small towns in the US than in Ottawa.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Transit in Ottawa is not that bad.

It really is if your outside the transitway corridor. It can take hours to get to some parts of the city if they aren't on a "90 series" route.

Anyone in the the west end of the city, won't be taking the bus to get to St. Laurent for a minor league baseball team.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It really is if your outside the transitway corridor. It can take hours to get to some parts of the city if they aren't on a "90 series" route.

Anyone in the the west end of the city, won't be taking the bus to get to St. Laurent for a minor league baseball team.

If you can make it to the Eagleson Park-and-Ride with relative ease, it's really not that bad getting to Hurdman.

This coming from someone who grew up for 20 years in Bridlewood, is 6'7 and doesn't fit in bus seats :laugh: I think the problem with the west end is GETTING to the Transitway/Park and Ride. Once you're on it, you just blast to Bayshore, Lincoln Fields, through Westboro, Parkway, and you're downtown. After that, good luck lol

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
If you can make it to the Eagleson Park-and-Ride with relative ease, it's really not that bad.

This coming from someone who grew up for 20 years in Bridlewood.

I grew up and still live in Glen Cairn. It can be an easy 30 minute ride just to get to the park and ride. I'm not sure how the local buses run anymore, but it was torture before.

If you are already to close to the main bus points (93,94,95,96) then sure it's not so bad, getting there is the main problem though.

Ttracer*

Didn't know about the tryout, ffs!!! All I ever think about when I watch baseball is "I can do that"

Oh well, 364 more days until next years tryouts, I'll be ready

adam-sandler-happy-gilmore-600-600x337.jpg

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
Go, its cheap and beers are cheapish. All you snobs talking about AA & AAA. Isn't it fun enough to drink in the sun?

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa

People from the west end shouldn't complain. They should just move.

Manor Park 4 lyfe!!!

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I hope they can make a go of it. There seems to be a bit of an uptick in interest in baseball since the days of the Lynx. If they can average 2000-3000 or so, that's probably enough to survive. At that level of attendance, parking should be fine and it's now on the Transitway so pretty easy to get to.

Still disappointed that we didn't get Double-A, but I'm willing to give them a chance. The only way we'll ever get affiliated baseball is if this team does well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We have a good number of kids teams in the city. Market to the kids. Make it family friendly and it should be ok.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
We have a good number of kids teams in the city. Market to the kids. Make it family friendly and it should be ok.

That's a good point. My son plays in one of the many local Lilttle Leagues and I don't believe we've received any Emails regarding the Champions through the league, or offering any special deals. I also have two kids in soccer and the Fury are all over local soccer clubs. We're constantly getting offers and in fact, this year all kids 14 and under who play for local teams can get in free to Fury games.

Perhaps it's a work in progress, but the season is almost here (and the Little Leagues have started already) so you'd hope they would leverage what should be a built-in audience.

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
I love baseball, but I'd only bother going to a game if it's the Jays' AA or AAA team.

This.

There was no emotional connection to the past minor league teams in Ottawa. Going to a game and seeing a high end Blue Jays prospect pitch would definitely help sell tickets.

I've never even heard of the league this team plays in and I'm a baseball fan.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
If you can make it to the Eagleson Park-and-Ride with relative ease, it's really not that bad getting to Hurdman.

This coming from someone who grew up for 20 years in Bridlewood, is 6'7 and doesn't fit in bus seats :laugh: I think the problem with the west end is GETTING to the Transitway/Park and Ride. Once you're on it, you just blast to Bayshore, Lincoln Fields, through Westboro, Parkway, and you're downtown. After that, good luck lol

Ben Bishop?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Too much competition now. They'll be competing with Redblacks, Fury, Women's World FIFA World Cup + the dozens of other festivals that Ottawa hosts every summer.

Add in the fact that their schedule sucks because of the renovations and you have a recipe for disaster. I'll still go and check it out, but it's hard not feel like a huge money dump for the city.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I love baseball, but I'd only bother going to a game if it's the Jays' AA or AAA team.

This.

There's more than enough to do in the summer than pay to watch guys who I've never heard of play baseball. Had it been a feeder team to the Jays, then I would have cared as I do like the Jays.

Instead, the city fell flat on their face kicking the FatCats out and promising a AA/AAA team and instead got us this washout league with a stupid team name to boot.

Sorry, I'm not cheering for any team that calls itself "The Champions". Incredibly, utterly stupid name.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The only way baseball works in Ottawa that you have to pay and go see is if and when the Expo's come back and are affiliated with them. Other than that scenario baseball will fail.

I hate baseball but I can at least say I saw Vladimir Guerrero and Milton Bradley when they were in the minors when they played for the Lynx..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad