Bartkowski hit on Gionta (No Supplemental Discipline)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
ScholarlyFrenchBigmouthbass.gif

Evergreen

I was all ready to jump on the suspension bandwagon because I like Gionta, but after seeing that gif, I don't really see what's wrong with the hit. Looks clean to me.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I can't even imagine the reaction would be if that was marchand getting hit by zadorov. Also Gionta didn't touch the puck i don't think

The reaction would be "Marchand deserved it"

100% sure, lock it down rub it up.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Cartwheel!!!

No but seriously it doesn't look like a cheapshot from Bartkowski, just a check gone wrong. I don't know about his history so I can't speculate on a number of games.. my guess would be 2 just because we have to punish every headshot.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cartwheel!!!

No but seriously it doesn't look like a cheapshot from Bartkowski, just a check gone wrong. I don't know about his history so I can't speculate on a number of games..

Absolutely zero history, we on the B's board are astounded he threw a relatively hard hit.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
The department felt the brunt of Bartkowski's elbow was absorbed by the chest, which caused the Buffalo winger’s head to snap forward.

Clean elbow to the chin.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So then it's interference and the call the refs made (just checked the boxscre, 5+game for interference) was right

Well there is also a minor penalty for interference which IMO would have been more appropriate but the hit looks bad in real time so I can't blame the officiating.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well, interference for one. Gionta never touches the puck, hence the major penalty for interference. It's also a high hit.

Not really much to argue on this one. That's 2-3 games.

I would say there is plenty to argue.

It was definitely a penalty but it isn't as cut and dry as you seem to think

Jeff L

May 28, 2012
Massachusetts
There was a high camera angle that made it look primarily shoulder-to-shoulder, but there's definitely some head contact in there. Unfortunate outcome.

Would rather Bart sit out a few games, though. It'd be more punishment if the league forced him to play 30 minutes a game for the next three. :laugh:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Can't tell.

Appropriate penalty called.

Appropriate response by Foligno.

I'm ready to move on.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Well, interference for one. Gionta never touches the puck, hence the major penalty for interference. It's also a high hit.

Not really much to argue on this one. That's 2-3 games.

Eriksson got rocked never touching the puck without so much as a call last year. This time the puck is a bit further away but it isn't worth 5 minutes, let alone a suspension. Is it a high hit because Gionta is so small? Yes.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well there is also a minor penalty for interference which IMO would have been more appropriate but the hit looks bad in real time so I can't blame the officiating.

The major for interference was added a few years back specifically to address big, but otherwise clean hits that were interference. This seems to apply.

Is that suspend-able? I don't actually know if you can for a major interference like that assuming it's deemed clean.

56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent (see 56.5).
56.5 Game Misconduct Penalty – When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

The appropriate penalty according to the playing rules shall be assessed when a player on the players’ or penalty bench gets involved with an opponent on the ice during a stoppage in play. The player(s) involved may be subject to additional sanctions as appropriate pursuant to Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline.

So yes, you can give a major for a hit that's otherwise clean but is interference. And any interference penalty is technically suspendable. I'm not sure if they will or not, but they can.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
NESN just showed a better replay, there is some definite head contact. Doesn't look like direct contact and the elbow looks like it's only an after follow through. Could definitely see something, but I would bet 2 games at most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad