Baltimore bridge collapses after ship collision

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
You have to wonder what the helmsman was looking at, and why nobody else on the ship's bridge was watching, and then there must be GPS and radar on a ship that size. Was it so heavily loaded that the mariners on duty on the ship's bridge didnt have visual?
God help all who were on that span when it went down.
Billions in repairs no doubt.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Horrible. My thoughts are with the people directly affected, and all the people whose daily lives will be impacted until the bridge is restored.

We take our modern infrastructure for granted. Let us not be stingy in our maintenance. Let us learn from this accident so it doesn't happen again.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
3+ hours into this thread, and no mention of the true victims of this incident: the hundreds of thousands of Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA commuters who are sitting in miles-long traffic jams blaming one another for causing the mess. :madfire:

Reactions: Seedtype

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
According to the BBC live page covering the incident: the ship apparently lost propulsion before collision.

(Obviously this is way too early to draw conclusions)

3+ hours into this thread, and no mention of the true victims of this incident: the hundreds of thousands of Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA commuters who are sitting in miles-long traffic jams blaming one another for causing the mess. :madfire:
Heh, I kinda did. Also this board is only occasionally busy.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

... Heh, I kinda did. Also this board is only occasionally busy.
My apologies, and I hereby retract my comment. May the spirit of American privilege remain with you always. :sarcasm:

Now it's time to reshift the focus, and add some posts to validate @LadyStanley's very early morning decision to consider this an appropriate topic under the "Sciences" category. Anyone? :dunno:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Ship lost propulsion, made MayDay call. Workers stopped traffic to be on bridge before collision after may day call. 8 workers (repairing potholes) on bridge fell to water. Two rescued; one in hospital. Search continues for the other 6.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
It's amazing they were able to stop traffic just in time, kudos to everyone who were involved with that.

Feel bad for the missing workers, hopefully they can be recovered and the families can have closure.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

More impact from bridge collapse. 40 ships trapped in harbor. 15k jobs dependant on port. Cruise ships changing port. Shorter bridge that failed took a year to be cleared, repaired.

USCG has suspended search for 6 missing workers, presumed dead, for the day and will resume in the morning.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

10 ships blocked in port. Ships starting to queue up outside port which is specialized for large (truck) deliveries.

Black box from ship recovered. Singapore maritime authorities will cooperate with US authorities, but do their own investigation of the Singapore flag vessel.

One speculation is bad fuel may be to blame for shut down of ship.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Glad to hear CNN has been recruiting their field reporters from drama schools ... "really some dramatic video" ... "it's very dramatic" ... "we had a very dramatic view" ... "the dramatic damage" ... "really dramatic timeline" ... "the dramatic mayday call" ................. :facepalm:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

FBI investigation into any federal laws broken. City also hopes to ensure wrong doers penalized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad