Backlund

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
He'll hold down a middle six center spot for now. I don't see him being a long term guy. I really don't like the idea of having him in the top 6. If the center depth is improved in the next few years (Bennett, Arnold), I could see him being given the chance to play on the wing, depending on how things play out.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Backlund is not soft. He very rarely gets out muscled and is certainly not a liability in that regard. His positioning and stickwork defensively are well above average and his transition game is the best of any center on this team.

Is he an effective #2C? He can be, but not with the likes of Colborne and an 18 year old rookie with zero experience flanking his wings against elite competition. We need another legitimate top six winger to compliment Backlund and Bennett at the very least.

Ideally you will want Backlund as your 3C moving forward, and that will happen with time when Bennett is ready to take that responsibility.

The want for size down the middle is certainly understandable but it is not a necessity on every line in order to win in this league.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brad Richards is not as good as Backlund at this point. He was a Conn Smythe winner in the same way the Lecavalier was a Richard winner (okay, he's not as bad as the cav, but he's a shadow of what he was). Does he put up more points? Sure. Is he playing on a way better team, with way better linemates? Yes. Also, other notable 2nd line stand-ins for the Hawks include Michal "why is he still playing" Handzus.

Your point about the strength of the Hawks as an overall team is notable, though. That aspect of the team is a rarity. However, I'd liken Backlund to Hanzal (minus a few inches): amazing defensively, not mind-blowing offensive numbers, but still able in the offensive zone. Would you take Hanzal as your 2nd line C? I'm sure most teams would be okay with it.
If you don't think Brad Richards' playoff experience is important you are completely kidding yourself. He and Backlund are on par with each other offensive, Backlund is better defensively, but Richards doesn't make the same mistakes Backlund does because he knows exactly what to do under pressure. It all evens out.

And I am pretty sure Handzus was their #3 centre.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I love me some Backs. I think he's really good at being a shutdown centre.

That being said, I think I like him best as a third line centre. As a second liner I don't think he has the chops to hold that down offensively (even if he was drafted as an offensive player). In a perfect world Backs and Bouma could do some serious damage as a third line. Keep in mind they're both under 25; that could be a real winner in Calgary. The key would be to get a real second line centre until Bennett is mature enough for that role.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I love me some Backs. I think he's really good at being a shutdown centre.

That being said, I think I like him best as a third line centre. As a second liner I don't think he has the chops to hold that down offensively (even if he was drafted as an offensive player). In a perfect world Backs and Bouma could do some serious damage as a third line. Keep in mind they're both under 25; that could be a real winner in Calgary. The key would be to get a real second line centre until Bennett is mature enough for that role.

Backlund is 26, going on 27 next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad